Total War: Three Kingdoms

For people who want to get into Three Kingdoms but don’t want to wade through the thousands of unfamiliar Chinese names, (even people who don’t, but just want a good podcast to listen to) check out the podcast at http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/ which breaks the whole book up into a really well done and charmingly amateur narration by a guy who just really loves the book. He’s up to episode 140 out of a projected 160 or so shows, so it’s nearly finished. He also includes maps for each episode so you can track where everyone is, as well as a character relationship chart.

One thing I’m hoping for is they really shake up the tactical battle map. Three Kingdom battles almost without fail went - single combat between heroes - loser falls back - winner chases after them - oh no it’s a trap - big battle with fire and people running away. You can’t do that with just ‘hide people in the trees’ mechanic that TW games have had since Shogun 1.

Hells yes! What a great idea!

Now I’m intrigued to see how they’d implement the strategies used in the Battle of Chibi…

This is the most interesting and best news I’ve heard from CA since Shogun 2.

navy

Ok, but 2 things. They’d have to be much closer (and be more numerous), and they must model fire spreading from one ship to the next and all… ;)

I totally see Chi Bi ending well with how TW has successfully implemented navel warfare in the past.

(cough)

[spit-take]

I think I’ll stick with a few Wikipedia entries!

CA will really have to shake up and update the formula to generate my interest.

Well, the video esthetics make it pretty clear this is Koei Total War: let’s milk Chinese, and to not look for any hints of originality.

They’re only around 20 - 30 minutes each so all up its around 70 - 80 hours - or 2 Hardcore History podcasts.

Would they do a “Mortal Empires” like campaign for this new Total War? Now that would be crazy!

Re: Shogun 2 comparisons

This is like saying that Rome:TW and Medieval: TW are basically the same game. Chinese military history and strategy is completely different than Japanese. The Chinese employed relatively advanced tactics and strategies for the time period, while the Japanese ended up leaning heavily on a strict warrior honor code. It says a lot that one of the most famous heroes of the Three Kingdoms era was Zhu Geliang, a strategist and tactician.

My big question is are the heroes from this time period going to be all crazy powerful like in Dynasty Warriors/Warhammer where they kill a couple hundred people per battle? I’m guessing it’ll be a toned down version where they are still quite a bit stronger than generals in the old Total War games, but not crazy like Warhammer Legendary Lords.

If you are to trust some Japanese historians, Napoleon Bonaparte just copied Oda Nobunaga’s strategy, so maybe they meant to compare Shogun 2 and Empire Total War really.
Also the Bushido is most likely a construct that appeared after the God Emperor put Japan into its Edo slumber. From the little that we know, war was relying there on dirty tricks as much as anywhere else (something which neither Port Arthur nor Pearl Harbor seem to prove wrong).
To me, all the myths around the samurai cast seem to exploit the romanticism and gauntlet in the face mentality of the 19th to early 20th century Westerners who were to verse into Japonism after the first modern contact with the country.
But I concurr it is a bit annoying that two countries, a millenium apart, get compared all too often because of their geographical proximity.

Again quoting that article I linked, overpowered generals might be more true to this time period than most.

Of course, this doesn’t exactly jive with the Koei aesthetic of columns upon columns of bronze armored troops, etc.

Eww, they’re still doing bass drop in videogame trailers.

Maybe some sort of general vs. general mechanic where they lock into their own little combat zone with each other. Like you have to send someone out there or the enemy general will kill too many of your troops.

Overpowered generals/heroes are at least consistent with the book if not actual history, so it would depend entirely on how much they want to lean into the romance instead of the history. Personally, I find the stories in the book about one man holding off hundreds on a bridge to be fascinating even if extraordinarily unlikely.

I’m not so sure, remember this, like the medieval knights, they did nothing but practice combat and fight, if you are a conscripted hayfork peasant, you have zero chance in a dual with such a person, only hope would be to swamp them, and thats actually harder than you think, the initial attackers would certainly die instantly.

This is in cue that battles of these eras wasn’t a mass charging mob, but two armies afvancing cautiously towards each other. Ranged would inflict the most casualties, melee would be a rarer thing.

I learned about this approach only recently, and I find it fascinating, especially since it echoes so much with the agressive or defensive behaviour of wild animals that can be observed. Although the connection to death of our ancestors must have been very different from our own.