Total War: Warhammer 2

MM I sorta think -and this is just me --that CA (more than most) tries to consider modding. My few mods are working (except save camera setting which makes me furious) but generally I thought the new mod manager and mods on workshop is probably a good example of how it should be done. I am playing Ancient Empires over on Attila and that seems to work well too.

Better late than never.

What do you mean?

I’m a bit miffed at this update. Ikit Claw made me a Skaven fan for this first time and it looks like they took the nerf hammer to him in a huge way.

Empire should have had Amethyst wizards back in TWW1. It took them 3 years to add a unit that already existed in the game for other factions, because reasons.

How is Amethyst Wizards even a thing? Why don’t the Witchhunters show up and burn the whole college to the ground. Isn’t Necromancy considered evil by the Empire?

It’s not necromancy, it’s interpretive dance taxidermy.

Thanks @ShivaX. Always happy to expand my knowledge of Warhammer fluff (and very sad it’s been replaced by Age of Sigmar).

Cessationary Thaumaturgy is a dog whistle for Necromancy.

Is this game fun and worth playing?

Sorry for the broad question, I played the first Warhammer TW and enjoyed it but dropped it out of frustration because they announced 2 was coming soon right after I started playing (not sure of the psychological reason why this annoyed me, I guess I wanted to be investing time into the latest version). I never tried 2 when it came out.

Sometimes strategy games start out with alot of hype and praise but die a couple of months later, but I am guessing from all the thread activity this one has long legs?

Thanks

I’ll let you know if I ever play my copy :-)

It’s better than the first Warhammer. If you enjoyed that one I would be surprised if you didn’t like this.

In short, yes. It is much the same as Warhammer 1, and improved quite a bit. The agents are a little less fiddly (no more deploying in a province) the UI feels a bit cleaner.

Good news is, having the first Warhammer means the factions from that integrate into the second warhammer by way of the Mortal Empires campaign. Not exactly the same as the campaign for the first game, but close enough. Better yet is that the Vortex campaign for Warhammer 2 is pretty good in its own right.

I will admit, I buy the DLC for the second once it is released. I don’t know your tastes or values with respect to DLC, but I can appreciate people being turned off when they see the cost of all the DLC at the moment.

In terms of number of hours played it’s got the second highest number in my steam library. I think it’s an excellent game but it’s no radical departure from the first one. If the first one didn’t click with you then avoid this. If you liked the first one, or Total War games in general, then this is the best of them.

Tim it is much better than the first Warhammer. I still play it all the time. The factions are amazing, it plays fairly smooth (turn times in mortal empires campaign remain frustrating), and allows a TON of fun. I am a bit biased (because I love it) but even the Vortex campaign with the 6-7 factions is great to run with.

It’s one of my favorite things, it’s a really incredible game - especially when you own both games and can play the massive Mortal Empires campaign. DO IT.

A “third one” is on the horizon fyi. However, they are not really new games. The sequel releases are essentially quad faction with campaign upgrade sets of dlc. Its all one game in a very real way based off of what you own.

As you know, I am still building my monster PC. As such I have only played 1 and 2 in limited duration yet still mammoth tests of patience. However, I still pick up factions from “the first game” when i spot a sale. It all goes into one big pot of content which I enjoy even through the fog of inferior PC now and then. But soon…very soon…

The only downside of buying any part of the Warhammer Total War trilogy is if you never plan or have any interest in playing the faction(s) in that part of the game as the AI will play anything released against you. Its just what you can play the is effected by purchase. That said, even a faction that seems blah, can be fun to play in a skirmish or five if you dont want to play them in a campaign.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! You’ve convinced me to pick this up next sale.

Haha, I also play paradox grand strategy games, so no problem there.

Vampire Coast are one of my favourite factions in any TW game ever. TW2 is a bargain at twice it’s retail price!