Total War: Warhammer 2

Is this the chaos invasion in Mortal Empires or just a constant chaos incursion that you have to deal with? I haven’t tried Mortal Empires yet but that sounds absolutely terrifying. In Vortex I would save scum so I could see where the Chaos/Skaven stacks would appear so that way they just didn’t spawn in my homeland and wreck everything.

The scariest thing was when I would lose track of them if they spawned on a different continent. You knew they were coming but what weird decisions were they going to make? No place is safe!

I don’t remember having much if any conflict with Chaos with any of my Beastmen campaigns. In TWW1, it was the Wood Elves and I actually ended up allying with Chaos. I trashed the west as they trashed the east and then we all just reveled in the giant dumpster we made of the world. The mini campaign there was of course against the Empire, specifically Boris Toddbringer, but that was just Khazrak the One-Eye’s deal.

In Taurox’s Vortex campaign his main enemy is that sneak skink Oxyotl. At least story mission wise, since during the actual campaign Oxyotl got demolished by Dark Elves and Skaven before I even saw him.

It’s Warhammer. Everyone fights everyone. Seriously. The whole lore is built around reinforcing that principle. If Chaos factions are fighting, it’s to prove to the dark gods which is the more perfect servant of Chaos and thus worthy of the blessings of the dark gods.

Survival of the fittest is often a thing that happens with Chaos.

Also Chaos hates itself quite a bit. All the gods fight each other constantly. And beastmen are barely considered Chaos anyway. They’re like Chaos rejects in a lot of ways.

All that said, you shouldn’t really be at war with the Warriors of Chaos? Beastmen, Skaven and I think Vampires don’t start at war with them last I knew and can actually remain peaceful or even be buddies with them. Or they might just declare war on you because Chaos.

Great point. As Beastmen a war with Chaos is totally ignorable. Just avoid their stacks. They are trying to do the same thing as Beastmen in terms of razing, so just stay out of their way until someone else beats them down. I don’t think Chaos would try to tackle a herdstone since they are very well defended once the appropriate upgrades are purchased.

I’ve been making it a point to fight everyone. They showed up and attacked me so I gored them. Seriously considering picking up Call to get the other three lords and starting a Four "Horse"men “kill literally everyone” ME campaign.

Every Legendary Lord of the Beastmen is fantastic. Do you have access to Lore of Wild without the Call of the Wild DLC? Cause that lore is fantastic (and exclusive) for the Beastmen. Malagor is of course a powerful Legendary Lord and since he has lore of the wild he can summon a small army of Cygors himself. Coupled with another brey-heard shaman, they might’ve been able to deal with your hawk rider problem. The other two are powerful as well but Malagor would is right up there with Taurox for me in terms of strength.

Yeah it’s in ME. When you get past a certain power point the game spawns random chaos stacks. I think it’s about 4-5 stacks in Naggarond area which is really annoying because who is going to leave an army up north idling? i’m busy murdering my cousin elves.

Yeah, Taurox starts with a Bray shaman who can cast all those spells. At this point in the campaign he’s pretty powerful, but the three Cygors I have (including two summoned) aren’t really making a big dent in the hawk riders, and his damage spells seem limited to ground units.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

I remember trying to use Cygors against a Dwarven army with a couple of those gyrocopter bomber units and they…ended up running away with the rest of the army after the bombers killed hundreds of ungor/gor. I thought maybe the higher unit count of the hawk riders, the Cygros might have had more success but I guess not.

I think I kind of fucked up my vortex Taurox campaign by not paying attention to just how damn many marks of ruination 500 is, and not at all (like, not even a little bit) optimizing my placement of herdstones to gather said marks. I might have to just go for a domination victory, which might entail skipping the Heart of Darkness battle? I don’t feel like firing up the game to check, and the internet once again falls down on this, as the wiki doesn’t list the domination victory conditions and reddit is just a bunch of people complaining about an early bug which I assume has been fixed.

Marks of Ruination are not hard to get if you focus on harvesting them. It’s probably not too late. Just wander to a different corner of the map with a few armies and set up shop and then harvest marks. Don’t complete rituals until EVERY settlement around the herdstone has been razed. Also don’t swat down enemy armies, let them wander in and recolonize so you can raze a settlement again for even more accumulated ruination points.

Just hop in Tugger and sail on down to somewhere you haven’t done enough fight’in! The Heart of Darkness battle itself was fun but not exactly worth stressing over.

see-you-next-time-everybody-south-park

via GIPHY

That’s what Brian Boitano’d do.

I was just reading about this mod on Steam. My motivation was playing Warhammer 3 and I enjoy the early game when there aren’t too many units in an army. Does this mod do a good job at keeping army sizes down, to say 8 to 10 units max? I just don’t like the battles with a lot of units.

I’ve played with that mod too. The short answer is no. This mod simply restricts the number of higher tier level units that can be recruited depending on the number of military structures built across the map. There is an unlimited cap on basic units eg: Dread Spears, High Elf Spearmen. The max unit count for an army is still 20. It stops both player and AI for instance from easily having Dragon doomstacks in every army. You may not be familiar with the Tomb Kings, it introduces that style of logistics.

Eg: Playing as High Elves, part of the meta is to just have Sisters of Averlorn, to even replace regular High Elf archers units. To recruit Sisters, you need the Handmaiden building. So one handmaiden building, and an army can station there and spam out Sisters until there’s a stack of Sisters. Completely viable vanilla strategy.

With the mod, the handmaiden building gives, I think, +3 to the unit cap. So first building you have, you can only recruit a maximum of 3 Sisters across your total empire. Whether that be 3 Sisters in one army, or a total of 3 sisters split across multiple armies is player and AI choice. You need multiple Handmaiden buildings across your settlements to increase that cap and bring in more sisters. It’s still possible to have a single doomstack of sisters, but to do so requires an investment of multiple Handmaiden buildings across the faction, and it might mean you can only have one such doom stack to the detriment of other armies that can not recruit Sisters into their ranks.

It’s an ok mod, I played with it when I did a Dark Elf campaign. But once was enough. It will not do what you want to achieve. Also, the AI, when it starts to crumble, will end up recruiting junk armies loaded with the uncapped units like all spearmen.

Ahh bummer, thanks for the answer.

I do sympathise with your plight though. The early battles where there’s less units on the map are more engaging. Less mental overhead I guess. And that then impacts my army composition as a result. So as I start bringing in spell casters or specific units that have a utility role (eg: any great weapons unit, cavalry etc) I then start considering how much time I need to devote to managing those units vs the rest of the army.

Your other option might be the AI General II which does let you hand over control of units to the AI. I use it more to let the AI manage units that were routing and coming back to the battlefield, and occasionally survivable melee focused lords/heroes.

Steam Workshop::AI General II: Spectator Mode Advanced

Hmm, that may be interesting - thanks