Total War: Warhammer 2

It did not exist before, it seems to have slipped in sometime recently.

My guess is the poor noobs playing easy just thought they sucked.

Orcs are gonna get crushed unless they get buffed up. Bad enough to have to fight the superior Dawi, they’ll face death chariots, giant scorpions, and mum-ra.

That’s why it’s so egregious. It sounds like it’s just the inverse of what the calculation is supposed to be, which_should_ be really easy to hotfix. The fact that it’s going to clobber new players is especially bad, since when I first started the game it defaulted to Easy (thankfully I bumped it to Normal). No new player is going to get their ass kicked over and over and then say “Okay, time to bump up the difficulty”, they’re just going to shelve the game.

The fact that this bug is still around is inexcusable.

My in-depth knowledge of coding only goes so far as C++ so I’m a little behind the times, but it sure sounds like an unsigned variable issue.

On another note, does anyone have suspicions/insider info on whether this and/or the DLC may show up on the Winter Sale for Steam?

The Tomb Kings DLC page is live on Steam, I just noticed. It has tons of cool info on the mechanics, lords, rituals and more for the faction. They sound super freaking fun!

Pre-order for 1/22/18 release.

I see Fanatical has it for $15.99. Fanatical used to be Bundle Stars? I’ve never ordered from either. Any reasons not to?

No, they’re legit.

Awesome!

Well I guess I’m buying another faction DLC…

Looks like some sort of preview/video embargo lifted this morning, tons of footage detailing the Tomb Kings hit. Here is the one I’m watching (I picked mostly randomly, but this one had a developer playing with the previewer)

I love the way these guys play, but I also wonder if they might not be a great faction for beginners? They have smaller income because they really only use money for buildings, they have only one (initially) army on the campaign map until they upgrade that through research or whatever, and their units seems (so far) fairly straight forward, sort of like Dwarves (which are also new player friendly). Thoughts on that?

I feel like outside of some of the intentionally difficult starting positions (Skarsnik, Belegor, Queek) that explicitly state they are Hard/Very Hard, there isn’t really a race that is particularly newbie unfriendly.

It looks like the lack of unit upkeep might be offset by a fairly large selection of building choices to make that effect your ability to increase your unit caps, complexity wise. In some ways, I think it might be more difficult for new players to wrap their head around that than a fairly straightforward concept like Unit Upkeep that is in most strategy titles.

Their roster actually looks like one of the few in the game that includes every category of unit; infantry, archers, siege, cav, chariots, monstrous infantry, giants, and a flyer. In that sense they have quite a few more options than Dwarves who have only infantry, archers, siege, and flyers. The reason I think most people find Dwarves very easy to learn is that they manage so few unit types.

I guess we’ll see in a few weeks! It looks very fun.

Easiest race to play is Dwarf, in battles, you stand still and shoot shit from behind your wall of dwarf warriors.
The troops even perform better if they stand still, don’t try to charge anything…

Elves look similar, but are fecking hard to play in contrast.

Wood Elves are bad with their skirmishy scattering all around the map. High Elves can be played in formation to just stand and shoot.

I love High Elves, I beat the campaign with them and they remain my favorite overall faction so far, even more so than the excellent Dwarves.

I think my second favorite so far is Lizardmen though, such a hardy faction with some really fun mechanics and troops.

Though my favorite overall unit has to be the Hydra. So much fun!

Oh agreed, in terms of factions that have an easy time of it, the High Elves and the Lizardmen stomp everyone around them. My favorite thing to do with High Elves on the Mortal Empires map is send an army across the straights to mess with Mousillon. Undead are just helpless against High Elves. A front line of spearmen will keep the rabble at bay all day long while the archers pick off the leaders and fliers. Then just wait for the failed morale checks and the undead evaporate.

Forgot about high elves, yes they can pull a dwarf too, it’s wood elves that’s farking hard

Wood Elves do not need to just be played as skirmishers. Give them a solid front line of Eternal Guard, who are excellent for cost, and tear the enemy’s flanks to shreds with your excellent light cavalry. Behind the line use archers, and use either Orion or Durthu to anchor the line. Sprinkle vanguard units to taste.

The undead really aren’t helpless against High Elves, it’s just that the AI is absolutely terrible at playing Vampire Counts. Vampire Counts are hugely reliant on intelligent use of Winds of Magic, which the AI is absolutely incapable of. The AI is also remarkably stupid with flying units, and when an army has distinctly different speed levels. You can basically count on the AI to throw all its fast units to their death before the slow ones even get into combat. It’s a mistake rookie players make in multiplayer, as well.

But if you can’t absolutely dumpster Vampire Count AI with literally ANY faction, you are doing something desperately wrong. The only other faction the AI is close to as terrible with is Skaven.

Problem isn’t their front line, it’s their missiles, they are super specialized, but use the wrong type and they are next to useless, ie their armor piercing ammo, which does a whopping -2- to non armored units…

Whelp so much for playing any other race ever again.