Total War: Warhammer 2

All his armies get ambush in their normal movement. Could be fun.

Seems kinda crazy good to me. I mean Skaven get it, but they’re kind of balanced around it in the campaign.

Just finished a my Queen Khalida (sp?) campaign. That was freaking great. Looking forward to going back to High elves in a few days,

Now, the reason I posted is this: I have been a old total war semi-grog nard (if that can even be) over almost 15 years. That I just posted that above seems crazy. I never thought I’d like fantasy over historical.

My experience with Thrones of Britannia is fine. But how can that compete with a Saharan clash of two mighty armies? I appreciate CA’s efforts in getting the historical still some flavor … but Thrones of Britannia is total weak sauce compared to Warhammer 2. Ironically, I prefer (or thought I did) the history side.

BTW Three Moves Ahead podcast opens up the strengths and weaknesses of Total war Saga: Thrones of Britannia. But really the games just don’t compare.

(Also Jack Lusted is the Director(?) of Thrones --he had a great mod in Rome 1 I still use and they hired him. I am glad someone is still working on historical)

ps I am not sure that’s a correct spelling of Britainia.

Don’t worry about any misspellings. You’re drunk on Warhammer. We all understand.

Well or drunk period. Thrones is such a … it is like watching a total war game in the mud. And in a week Warhammer will be playing High Elves. I feel guilty wanting more Warhammer.

The addition of magic and monsters really opens up differentiating units and strategies around them.

There is only so much you can do with a historical timeframe as far as variety.

“These are better trained and armed troops.”
“Well, these are EVEN BETTER trained and armed troops with SPEARS!”

Doesn’t quite compare to:
“This is a fricken dragon and this is a lightning cannon.”

I suppose, but I don’t think you have to resort to fantasy in order to make TW interesting and fun to play. In fact if you happen to find warhammer lore infantile (I do for example) then the setting puts you back a bit in terms of immersion regardless how well CA does on game mechanics and unit differentiation. I enjoy TW Warhammer in spite of the setting.

I agree that all too often titles like TOB end up with all the units looking the same and your choices are crappy guy with spear, ok guy with spear, and good guy with spear. In fact I’d say that’s a part of the problem TOB has, it’s like TW lite and the attention to detail to flesh out this time period just seems missing.

So I guess what little point I have to make here is this: maybe don’t use TOB as the representative for historicals in comparing something to warhammer. Instead use MTW2 or Shogun 2 maybe, or even Rome 2 and Attila.

Apparently Tomb Kings got a new unit, Bone Giant or something. Someone asked a streamer about it and he just said “We’re not allowed to show Tomb Kings…” and cocked an eyebrow, so that basically confirmed it.

Just finished my Tomb Kings legendary run (5 books --pyramid). A ton of fun. Not sure I needed a new unit but hey, the more the merrier! Looking forward to some weird strange new elf action tomorrow!

Darn time travellers.

Yeah drats it is Thursday.

Awww man! I had a wonderful block of time all set up to play that tomorrow.

I have TW: Warhammer but haven’t even logged 10 hours with it yet. Too many games, too little time. Still I keep hoping for a sale on this one so I can add it to my backlog. Don’t really want to pay full price for it to just sit there. Maybe it will be part of the Steam summer sale…

Patch Notes!

e: Stuff new to me (I’m sure I just missed this along the way, but reading today, this is stuff I didn’t know about)

General

• Norsca are getting more monster hunts as well as new tech
  • Sword of Khaine mechanic!
  • Two new High Elf technologies
  • Ungrim Ironfist gains a new ability (Red Ruin)
  • Thorgrim Grudgebearer gains a new ability (Oath of Vengeance)
  • Food system re-balance to make it less annoying sounding

Visuals

• Improved SSAO!
  • Improved Shadows!

AI

• No more AI arty dodge
  • No more arty sniping during auto resolve
  • Kills should be more evenly distributed with the auto resolve between similar units
  • Ranged units don’t march into melee range when they have no line of sight

Okay, man, there are a lot of changes here I didn’t know about. But I am going to put things down now that are awesome to me. Starting with

• Grudges that require an assassination have been removed (thank the maker, I fucking hated those)
  • Black Arks no longer suffer from deep water attrition, making them a lot less garbage now imo
  • Some of my favorite units (like Black Orcs) have a 1 turn reduction in recruitment time!

So like, only certain factions can draw the Sword but ANY elf can wield it.

Durthu the wood elf with the sword of khaine! Solo armies.

I really wanted to play this today. BOOOOO!

Back when they announced this, they had said 5/31, so it’s not delayed or anything?

Someone… a Mr. @richardlgaines a few posts up said tomorrow as of yesterday. Which just happened to sync nicely with my schedule, and so I am breaking his balloons for getting me excited :)

Any elf can draw it.

If they’re defeated anyone of any race can wield it when they take it from the person they beat.

I think it’s just High and Dark elves that can initially get it.