Total War: Warhammer 3

Ogres are fantastic. Don’t let the fact they are limited to just Tier 3 buildings dissuade you as they have some of the best all purpose buildings. They only get walls in the main settlement IF it is outside Ogre or Norscan homeland, but that’s okay because the big bois can’t really make it up all those stairs anyways.

Also, when defending a settlement, use their T2 towers (Cannon Towers). They are the best bang for the buck.

Their Tier 4 towers at a whopping 2000 supply only net you 1 extra cannon ball fired and more armor piercing damage. So nice against mammoths and dragons but overkill on anything else (even Chaos warriors get demolished by the Tier 2 tower). I’d rather have another two Cannon Towers, unless I find myself bottled up with only one tower available.

I wonder how multi threaded is the AI. Does the time varies significantly with the number of cores you have?

Wanna see an end game threat on turn 24?

I was doing some looking around on various forums where folks were talking about this and everything I’ve seen is the game isn’t multi-threaded (for whatever reason). However, this is what my CPU is doing in Task Manager when I have War3 loaded…

Which to me looks like most cores are working on something and Warhammer 3 is the only thing I have open other than Edge, and these forum posts are from 2018-2020 so they are somewhat old. It’s possible having both a faster CPU and/or more cores helps the load time, you just have to assume, right?

Not really. They’re sharing the load. Warhammer 3 is still built on the ancient Warhammer 1 engine which was built on the Rome engine. Music is on its own thread and maybe they split one or two more things off. But I do believe it’s only running 2 dedicated threads. CPU wise a quad core at 5.0 GHz will be faster than a 16 core at 4 GHz. Pure clock speed is what will get better performance (alone with later generations of cpus since they’ve been optimized clock for clock).

Odd there doesn’t seem to be a Chaos end game invasion scenario:

Wouldn’t that be weird as there are already so many Chaos factions actually represented on the map?

That was my thought, but there are several vampire factions and there is a Vampire endgame, so I’m not sure what to think. Maybe they are still working on the Chaos endgame so it will be something we see later as the beta progresses?

If you look at all the other end game scenarios they involve factions on the map. There’s a Tomb King’s rise end game, an Ork end game, a Wood Elf end game, there’s even a Dwarves rising end game. From the videos it looks like in each case all factions of that type explode with massive reinforcements. Not sure what happens if the player(s) are the same faction as the boosted faction, if they expect us to uncheck the boxes for the end game type if we’re one of those factions, or if the game is smart enough to do this automatically.

Isn’t it because technically the games are in reverse chronological order - the Chaos Invasion happened at the end of War1.

I’ll have to wait for the mod that tones down the blood a bit, like Warhammer 2. Not squeamish, just don’t care for blood fountains, especially when it tanks the framerate, which I’m sure this will.

The blood for the blood god is DLC.

Interesting, looking online some people say enabling blood in War 2 significantly drops framerate while others say there is no perceivable difference in performance.

Is something like this what you’re talking about?

Sounds like a nice compromise between the two extremes.

Blood pack used to tank performance, especially if you’d fire a cannon into skavenslaves or the like.

The mod made it less stupid looking and also kept the performance hit to nearly nothing.

If they haven’t reworked it, then I assume there will be a new version of the mod, but I’m hoping they finally made it better (which would hopefully explain the crazy amount of time it took to be released, though it could just be a ton of sync kills and the like).

Less blood mod is great. I don’t like it when every unit is just completely red after 5 seconds of fighting. You’d think after 6 years CA could throw in an effects slider for that.

Three Kingdoms had a lot of options and looked better by default (ie no ketchup bathing), so my hope is they port that over.

Agree. I like the gore of the dlc, but I am less keen on every unit on the field being mono-color red blobs after a very short bit.

Yep that mod is the one.

I completely concur.

There are Blood Pack and Champions videos in the wild and there are definitely settings for the levels of blood. Heir was thinking he set his too low and you couldn’t even see any on any models in his video for Valkia.

He also has a stream where he said he was going to play with the settings, so… we finally have settings.

Edit:

Particle scale is what murdered GPUs and stain is what makes everything covered in ketchup, so really that’s all one probably needs for settings at the end of the day.