Total War: Warhammer 3

The player can generally grow more rapidly and with fewer troops (and therefore lower strength), both of which make you more likely to be attacked.

However I’m also very willing to believe there is a bias to attack the player :)

You may be right on both counts. I honestly don’t care what the mechanical driver is, the result is aggravating gameplay.

Aggravating and samey. I was playing with a friend last week who is new to the game and he made the observation/complaint about everything feeling the same in terms of a mad dash towards the player. That’s partly what prompted me to ask about any anti-player biases the AI might have, because I was trying starts that didn’t seem too bad (from watching the AI handle them at a distance) but when I played them it felt like a different story.

I still have tons of factions I haven’t played so we may have just hit a rough stretch. Sounds like I picked a doozy with Imrik/Caledor, for example. :) Cathay seemed pretty tame compared to Hexoatl and Imrik, so I know there’s at least some variation in there.

My favorite, Grimgor Ironhide seemed to have a pretty easy go of it.

I haven’t tried Orks yet in TW:WH3, might have to give that a go. I know it was weird conquering the badlands in my last Ghorst game and not running into Grimgor. I keep forgetting his start position got moved.

I prefer skewering orks to playing them but I might have to give him a go sometime.

Finally booted this up. Where’s Beastmen in IE?

You should see the beastmen in the faction selection screen. Not happening for you?

I’ll have to check again when I’m back on computer, but no I couldn’t find them.

Just to double check, you are running on a platform that you have paid for the Beastmen DLC on? For example, if you purchased Beastmen DLC on Steam but are running TW WH3 on Game Pass, you won’t be able to play Beastmen.

They will be the first faction listed and if you have them enabled, they’re already selected by default. That’s how it is every time I boot up the game, anyway.

Do you own all three Warhammer games and the Beastmen DLC and are they all from the same store?

Someone asked about gunpowder upthread but I can’t find it. This is a succinct gunpowder formation video from a new youtuber.

Explains checkerboard, diamond, and chevrons

That was me. Thanks @wisefool. That was helpful.

Yep!

I must have been really tired last night. I looked all over and not sure how I did not see they’re right there. Crazy. Thanks Kevin as always :)

A useful tool:

I downloaded this mod and have had a positive first impression. They haven’t turned off the player biases but they’ve toned it down and made a few other changes, just to the diplo side of things. I still feel pressured, but I no longer get 4+ wardecs in a single turn when I enter a new area.

There’s apparently another mod you can combine with it so you can tweak settings further but I haven’t tried that.

I really want to get into the nuts and bolts of Total War mechanics. I’m talking about stuff like how things like mass, number of units within a regiment and that sort of thing work. Foundational stuff, so that I can build up from there.

Anyone know of a resource like that? Either a wiki or video series or anything like that. Thanks!

There’s actually a lot of hidden stats like accuracy - units for example are less accurate the farther away they are. I watch a few streamers and they occasionally dole out this info but streaming is very time consuming. I am not aware of any well-edited video primers.

I believe there’s a mod to expose hidden stats too

I prefer text anyway, so that’s prefect! Thank you!