Total War: Warhammer 3

Oh I have no doubt GW and CA are both responsible for the design choices on this kind of content.

Most of Warhammer lore reads like it was written by an angsty teen who definitely was wearing eyeliner when he wrote it, so I don’t have a horse (or a bear for that matter) in the race. Warhammer is all about being over the top in my mind, so if they want to go hard on the bear theme it doesn’t seem inconsistent in that universe.

It’s all pretty much a nontroversy if you ask me, I just find watching the design choices play out to be interesting. One legendary king with a bear mount evolves into an entire bear-themed society. Some people will definitely hate it but some people are gonna hate anything.

Agreed… it’s been said eleventy billion times but GW was selling Warhammer (both fantasy and 40k) “DLC” before it was cool (i.e. ever since they realized, “Hey, we can just make up armies and lore and stuff and people will buy it”, which was probably about half a second after first edition came out) and Warhammer + Total War really is a match made in… well, somewhere.

Yea, the best thing about Total War is that to “play” with an army in tabletop is going to cost you… hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours of painting time. CA lets you play with them for $10-$60, depending on where in the lifecycle you buy in.

Also Warhammer is a trash tabletop game as a game anyway and it’s pretty hard to see how it’s so popular.

Love the roster! Disappointed they didn’t include Chosen but on the other hand, maybe CA will have a plan for the Chosen to build them out properly and uniquely in DLC ie Nurgle Chosen differ from Khorne etc.

hehehehehe!

I feel like Chosen are likely to remain a Warriors of Chaos thing. It’s about all the faction has over Daemons at this point. Well, that and dragon ogres.

OK good time to move onto the Cathay reveals thanks CA.

I mean at least they get the name they use for themselves. Cathay didn’t even get that much.

They posted something about “upcoming Delights and Mysteries” which I feel is a pretty strong hint that the next two army reveals will be Slaanesh and Tzeench. Cathay and Nurgle last I guess.

Sure, but I feel like there’s always got to be a paper-thin facade that they’re not just doing lazy ripoffs of pop-culture interpretations of real societies. With “Nippon” it just seems like they’re phoning it in.

I unabashedly love this game series and at the same time I realize the writing is… not necessarily the best. I don’t want to go in to hard because I’m sure some random Warhammer book got one person through a tough time but let’s be real, none of this stuff is going up for a Nebula or a Hugo and like… 99% (number created for the purposes of drama, i did not sample 2000 adults or anything) of the human population doesn’t even know what those awards are.

And that’s fine. I like it for what it is. But it is not a compelling multi-generational drama.

It was because of this game series I started reading the Warhammer Chronicles books. I started with the story of Tyrion and Teclis, then read about Sigmar, and been struggling through with the Rise of Nagash. I knew nothing about Warhammer before any of this. I agree the writing isn’t going to win prizes. I see the whole Warhammer Fantasy universe as the equivalent to comfort food. It’s nothing to get excited about, but it is still delicious and hits the spot when it is called for.

They could have gone with something cool, like Jomon.

Illwinter is so much better at naming stuff then Games workshop.

The absence of even a mention of siege battles, arguably the one people want the most info on is kind of striking.

The autoresolve change is welcome, that’ for sure. I know at some point I’m just Quick Saving in case a random unit is magically killed for no reason. For some races/units you basically have to fight every battle because something will always die horribly. I recall Slayers being especially bad for it in the past.

I mean, they have to do a lot to mess this up, so I’m not particularly worried. But I’m not holding my breath for improvements in siege battles at this point.

Honestly, I’m okay with game delays, even for games I’m super excited for - make it a better, bigger, more polished game, I say. I’ll wait.

Plus, there is this:

Creative Assembly said it will reveal Grand Cathay, one of the launch races in Total War Warhammer 3, tomorrow.

Better delayed than released in poor condition.