Total War: Warhammer 3

I play in slow-motion for the most part — although arguably that’s because I suck at RTS and less to give me a chance to watch cool stuff happen. Then if it’s a battle I particularly liked, I will save it as a replay and then rewatch the cool parts zoomed in to my heart’s content.

Well, I for one like to pause the action frequently to get an idea of what I should be doing - I don’t play this like Command and Conquer, I’m constantly slowing down the action to make sure I’m not hurrying and missing something. And in doing so I often like to zoom in and camera around to enjoy the pure spectacle of the action.

Also, when playing with @ShivaX in co-op when he’s running a battle I really enjoy turning off the UI and just zipping around the battlefield like an observer.

It’s not that the old ones weren’t zoomed out, but the armies and the maps were smaller, and each model was relatively larger, so you got a much better idea of what was happening to each unit.

It had more of a diorama feel to it.

Shogun still has some of that action, and in the gunpowder games it’s mostly line infantry, so combat takes a while to resolve, which means you usually have time to enjoy the scene.

I think my favourite Total War experience is split between Rome, which hasn’t aged that well, and Empire with DarthMod, which is still stellar in my opinion.

That’s a pretty good idea. I use slow motion a lot to get my maneuvers “just so”, or respond to an ambush. That’s not a dumb thing to do!

It’s probably a better way to play. I just usually end up feeling like I’m doing the the civil war thing on a whiteboard, moving the red bars and the blue bars.

And I think it frustrates me more because in the Warhammer games the units are cooler than they’ve ever been, so I’d really like to see them up close.

I guess I’m the kind of player where if the dev doesn’t make me a camera that has a certain perspective, I usually won’t spend a lot of time messing with it. Maybe I should give it a go.

Well… good I guess. One, because I’m not missing anything and two, I can hold off on binging on a bunch of other Total War titles for a while.

Hah! Hear hear.

It might also depend on your difficulty level - I punch a little down, playing on Normal, but it gives me the latitude to not have to play optimally so when I want to zoom in and watch the charging Empire Knights or whatever blast throw a line of goblins I can - and do!

I always played with the biggest unit sizes possible in Rome and those old total wars. Masses of tiny soldiers never bothered me in fact I prefer it. Another advantage of big units is that the fights take longer so you actually have time to zoom in and look around if you want. Also half speed is very useful.

The speed of the action in warhammer total war is such that you’re better off spending most of your time at half speed.

I don’t think I saw this linked, of potential interest.

It’s a good read, thanks for linking. I am looking forward to the final release!

More Cathay details from Games Workshop discussing some of their units.

Blog post highlighting Cathay’s other Legendary Lord

Just a dragon going slightly insane from warpstone, I’m sure it’s fine.

Edit:
Analysis for those who care about that sort of thing.

Good Stuff, love the mirror spell where she took down the pink demon missles.

It looks very cool indeed!

I think Grand Cathay will be my first campaign.

I zoom in and play on slo mo and have a drink and watch the bodies fly around. It is truly epic. i bet 3 will be just crazy.

I liked rome 2 and well as rome 1 … uh … to… but Warhammer is the best. Zoom in! Take a minute and guide that cavalry into a swarm of bad guys!

ItsHappening.gif

Haven’t watched it yet, but it’s here.

That sounds complicated.

This is pretty much what people have been guessing since the Chaos adventure battle was shown, using the same barricade building tools on a larger siege map.