Total War: Warhammer 3

As a TW amateur, I’m not sure I get his gate complaint. Is it that, as an attacker, you have one of your armies attack a target on the other side of a gate, and then you are forced into a fortification battle at that gate? If so, that seems reasonable - other than if it is easy to miss you are attacking through a gate and get sucked into a gate battle you had no idea would happen. Do I have it right?

I was thinking of giving this a try again now that they have IE, but if there are tons of siege / fortification battles I don’t think I’ll have the patience for it.

As I read it, and I’ve never seen this happen myself, the weirdness is that the “gate” (I prefer chokepoint fortification as a term) garrison itself can intercept you (sort of like an invisible enemy army in ambush stance) and it’s not at all clear to the player that just attempting to walk by what appears to be a clear line of movement with no enemy armies in sight can result in a gate battle. What’s even weirder is that that “gate” garrison can do this interception even when the “gate” itself is already besieged. So attempting to move up a secondary force to reinforce the main besieging army gives the garrison a chance for a 1:1 fight with the secondary force.

Ahh ok, thanks

CA addressed this but…it didn’t make it any clearer lol. At least for me.

Here is the blog post about it (@ShivaX linked it earlier):

You’re right - all it means is you can’t move an army through a gated chokepoint - you have to fight the siege battle. I don’t know why he is in such a tizzy about it.

Tried a IE campaign as a test using my fave Settra. Love me some Tomb Kings. Seems to be pretty much as advertised. Turns are about as long, all that.

Started an IE campaign as Valkyria or however it’s spelt, the Khorne flavoured Chaos Warrior from the new DLC. Really like the warband upgrade and gifts mechanic so far!

Haven’t encountered any serious bug, turn times don’t feel longer to me than in Warhammer 2, and an AI declared war on me when I was out of position so first impressions are good.

I’m getting 40-60 second turn times on my 4 year old Intel i9 9900k. Slower than I want, but not unreasonable. I did think Mortal Empires went faster, but maybe I’m confusing Mortal Empires with Vortex Campaign turn times.

Question: are province growth rates different for different races? I’m playing Teclis and it is taking forever to get even a single spare population point to grow my cities or settlements. I don’t remember it being this hard to expand in previous campaigns.

Elves have a special mechanic were growth rate is tied to province public order (or happiness, or morale, or whatever it’s called for Elves) as I recall. I think if you boost that your growth will blossom as well.

Okay good to know. Thanks @Tortilla. My poor province has been on the brink of revolt all game, that probably is not helping. Combination of Skaven corruption and some choices on events I probably would not have taken had I known about your hint.

gosh!

Oops, that should be seconds …. (facepalm.gif). Will edit original post.

That is still pretty bad. I have an AMD 3700x, just recorded my times over 5 turns and they are between 24-27 seconds (and that sometimes includes diplomatic offers).

During your end turn time wait do you see alot of guys moving about the map? If so, might be time to adjust your camera settings to skip over that crap.

No. Teclis is boxed up against the coast and has almost no interaction with anyone (other than the Skaven I had locked under siege). Kroq-Gar in north of me, but he’s mostly out of my visual range. There are a few Skaven heroes poking about. But there’s not a lot of movement on screen.

I do have a lot of applications up in the background, I suppose that’s not helping, although I don’t know how much of a difference that might make. I have 32 GB of RAM, so I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that’s not an issue. But I suppose the CPU might be running off and servicing other apps in the background.

What does “not a lot” mean? In case you mean there is some movement that the camera is moving around to focus on, any amount can take up alot of wasted time. Make sure your camera settings are set to ignore anything that takes your camera’s focus between turns.

If you meant there is no movement and you are still getting 40-60 second turn times, something seems wrong! My CPU doesn’t seem better than yours. I wonder if any GPU computation is involved between turns, as I do have a 3090 which is more powerful than the average card.

I shutdown all the other applications. 184 factions left of the original 278 but I’ve got more ground uncovered now. Turned off camera for the two friendly/neutral Lizardmen factions leaving just a Tzeentch faction, which I set to fast movement.

On a good turn I can now get 25-30 seconds. GPU is a 2080.

So my Imrik campaign is going pretty great. I’m a bit past the early game tension and now trying to figure out what to do with the mid-game. I’ve got some great friends in Cathay (I guess they dig my affinity for dragons lol) and a killer stack going with Imrik and all his dragon pals. So I’m wondering if I should go north, east, south or west.

Well, I forgot Skarbrand is out east and he is having a great time pounding the Badlands into submission. I send a brave elf emissary to say hi, how ya doing and his response:

Skarbrand making friends (2)

So I guess Imrik and his band of dragons are heading somewhere else for now lol!

I started with Skarbrand, and got my ass kicked. ( after several turns, I was at war with everyone and my income was pathetic, could barely maintain an army of 12 units)
I then started with Kyros Fateweaver, and got my ass kicked.
I think its time to move from hard/hard to normal/normal until I get the hang of things.

Yeah, I generally go normal difficulty because, well, I kind of suck. My initial test run as Settra I let fizzle after getting into a war with the Vampires to the south. The landscape and overall geography is different than before and it takes a while to get used to it, though I do think it is better than the earlier versions.

Animations on the strat map seem to chug a bit, especially the sand whirlwind thing for the Tomb Kings special stance. My 2070 Super might be at its limits by this point.

There is so much going on in these games I rarely have any fun outside of normal/normal. I usually have to first play a whole campaign with a faction before I would even consider bumping up the difficulty but then I’m like “wouldn’t it be more fun to play a new faction?” so I end up just doing that. I found my Hard/Hard Lizardman campaign extremely frustrating and my Very Hard/Very Hard Brettonia campaign just super cheesy (lots of save/reloading and autoresolve).