Total War: WARHAMMER

I doubt that’s the case. specially if they have a new, probably multi million copy selling video game based on the franchise (Total War games SELL). They would have to be fools.

I like most of the Total War games a lot, but I have absolutely no connection whatsoever with the Warhammer games, so I’ll skip this one. If they were actually going the LOtR-way, well, then I’m definitely tempted. Two elvish archerunits against a full legion of orcs… yes, I can picture that!

If they call it “Warhammer : Total Waaaargh!” I will purchase it on Day One.

Total Waaaargh!

hahaha absolutely

Do all of the folks from the Netherlands band together before posting? Do you vote on what your opinions are, or is there a single leader calling the shots? :)

Did you read the same post above that I did about the end times? It appears that things have changed tons since I played in the late-90s/early-00s.

I had predicted “Total Warhammer” in an earlier thread (the Rome II one, maybe), but I like this much, much better.

I’d be happy if the special edition was listed as the Total Waaaaaargh! Edition, even.

As for setting, ignoring the fantasy is silly, it’s always been fantasy, but now they can really bring out the fun, in shit ton of varied and fun units, unless you just want to run around in Rome with 15 different but same spear units and sword. Heck shogun had more variety, they had no dachi samurai!.

I think this can be all kinds of awesome, the medieval mod warhammer is, so this will guaranteed be awesome.

I’m holding you to this. If it sucks, it’s Janster’s fault.

I’ve actually wanted Total War: 40k for years now, especially since Horus Heresy showed that you can pack 10,000 Space Marines shoulder to shoulder in massed formations.

Shush, don’t mention nearly everything in the future is an area effect weapon.

I wonder how TW:WH is going to handle all the vehicles and odd units* they have these days? There are steam tanks, dead tanks made out of bone, daemon tanks, and as for the skaven…

Yes, that is a spiky hamster wheel.

*things with big bells, artillery anvils, all sorts of weirdness.

Short answer? They won’t. They’ll stick to the standard human formation stuff (orcs, elves, dwarves, humans, etc) and if/when they implement weirder forces like skaven or undead, I expect CA will try to get away with re-skinning as much as possible. The siege weapons will be re-skins of current Empire/Rome 2/Shogun 2 trebuchets, onagers, cannons, and gatling guns. They might get nutty and do some really weird stuff like the hamster wheel of death, but I would expect it to be few and far between.

I don’t think it’s much harder to implement a wheel of death than a trebuchet. A little more complex, but not much. The real issue here is not weirdness, but diversity. And diversity requires man hours. Hhowever, just reskinning a faction is so expensive that creating unique mechanics probably doesn’t add that much to the equation, specailly if they forgo balance as per the tabletop.

So:

With DLC. A warhammer game on this scale is DLC heaven.

Re-skinning a catapult for Warhammer seems significantly easier than creating new stuff. Stick some skulls on it and ta-da! You’ve got an “Orc Skull Chukka” ready to go. Put some flags and shiny bits on it instead and it’s an “Elven Tosser.” Since it behaves exactly like a catapult in current Total War games, there’s not much else you need to change. The Hamster Wheel of death? That’s a fully new item with nothing like it in Total War. You have to create it, animate it, then work out exactly how it’s going to mow down troops.

I do agree on this being DLC heaven.

They should give us the base game for free and charge us for each army past the default two. Bleed us until we squeak, also skaven should cost double…

Wait , I thought I read that this game will not focus on the space marine universe, and instead on the fantasy universe.

It is, I just want 40k, is all.

Will they be able to get formations to remain solid where they should this time?

Formationa should break apart on contact, otherwise battles look weird imho. I think they look ok in Rome now, but legionnaires can use a forced formation, which makes it look a bit funny in combat with the back lines jogging back and forth in order to give pleasing esthetics.