Total War: WARHAMMER

Everytime you start a combat, you have choice to autoresolve or play it out.

If you play it out, you can lasso units and give it to player two control.

This is great fun. Give them some cav, or special units, and micro the hell out of the units. Or set up an independent balanced squad hidden in the woods to flank the enemy. Or give them artillery to micro.

The load times are fast in Warhammer so it’s much better to coop than Shogun 2.

Be warned the strategic game is going to be weird. Basically one person plays dwarves or orcs, the other one vamp or empire. You don’t want to be both dwarf and orc because you’ll have little expansion space and it’s boring to run up all those armies north to meet chaos.

I usually play head2head as its better than coop, in it you can choose wether to command ANY enemy that your opponent faces, or just help him out, or do nothing at all…its at his and your discretion. In our campaign, that means any battle can become a mean place, and if he chooses auto-resolve, and can force him to play instead…bwhahaha

The campaign becomes a messy cruel place, where defeat lurks at any corner, its fun as heck. We usually let battles auto-resolve if they are obvious, or not very important, or just to speed the game up, but as time passes, we lurk in the background…waiting for the one battle he needs to win…

And then…

This sounds terrifically un-fun.

EDIT - I suppose it’s just one way to play competitively, though, upon reflection. I’d hate it personally though.

OHhhh man that sounds awesome!

Heir of Carthage is pretty good but he’s getting old and busy. This guy named “Turin” has some pretty good battles online to view. His signature “take a drink whenever he says” phrase is “value”.

Anybody have any info (strategies) for how to chase down orks marauding around your home province in the empire campaign? I’m not really sure if I understand how the map movement works. I thought I had a zone of control but each time I have tried to engage an ork force they decline and then make a full movement turn to one of my cities and plunder it. There has to be something big that I am missing about troop movements.

I wouldn’t play this with random people…I play with an old friend, we have a gentlemans conduct going on

Fair point; honestly that would be the way to go then.

Armies can only retreat once, and that includes retreat during combat. If an orc force retreats, put your armies on march and engage again, and this time they shouldn’t be able to retreat. You will have penalties to morale in the combat, but winning will take out the whole army.

Engaging an army on the attack is not that hard once you understand to can initiate combat (and fight) more than once per move. If they start to actively avoid your stacks, then it can become difficult (you need high garrisons everywhere and maybe even defensive armies to avoid having a city razed in the process).

Hey Thanks for the tips. Very helpful. I guess the underground stuff is fun if you are playing orcs or beastmen but I have to say fighting in the tunnel is really not much fun for my empire troops. Having improved a bit in the battle module, I’ve managed to win a good deal but aesthetically I prefer the open areas even the forest battle fields. Thanks again.

Janster - do you use any mods when playing with him (is that even possible)?

We used conquer anywhere and radious mod and its unit mod, but I think they watered the game out a bit, but by all means try then, tons of new units for your pleasure.

Quick combat tip for dwarves jpinard, clump your army up, wide is for orcs and fast armies, you want one big mess, with artillery in the middle. Thunderers are hard to use, great weapons units are worse, sword and board is best, cheap dwarves inf with a inf booster general will win you battles.

Whoa, you just saved me a ton of dead units. Never would have thought of that. Thanks!

Just picked this up yesterday. When I started a campaign everything but the orcs and dwarves had a money pouch on the symbol. Does that mean those are only available through DLC?

Not sure what that icon might be you are talking about, but only Beastlords and (because you must not have pre-ordered) Chaos are DLC factions. You can play Empire, Orcs, Dwarf, and Vampire out of the box. The money pouches might mean they have expandable rosters and options - I know the latest DLC ($8) adds some new units and mercenary options for Empire and Vampire, for example.

I assume they’re showing what has DLC, since the Orcs and Dwarfs don’t have any and everyone else is either DLC themselves or has stuff that’s unlockable with DLC.

The King and the Warlord DLC announced.

• 2 new Legendary Lords. Dwarf guy and Goblin guy.
  • New quests
  • New grand campaign starts
  • New units

Arghhh why couldn’t that be out right now?!

Purchased the DLC. I loved what the last one added to the VC and Empire. I can’t freaking believe this is dropping the same day as the Stellaris DLC, which is one freaking day before Civ 6. Argh! Not that this is a thing really, but Strategy Overload Incoming!!