Total War: WARHAMMER

Instead of thinking of it as capitulation, think of it as supporting the developers and a game you enjoy?

I’m all over the map on DLC purchasing with TW games, if it’s one of their titles I’m crazy about I pick it up full price at launch, on the other hand if it’s one of their titles I’m more just reasonably happy with, which is where Warhammer lands for me since I’m more a fan of their history based works, then I wait till they are like 50% off.

Back when Shogun 2 released I bought everything they put out when it came out. Rome 2 I bought all the DLC campaigns at launch because I thought they were better than the GC, and waited on the faction packs because for me they don’t have that much impact on the over all game. And with Attila, instant buy Charlemagne, sale price on all the packs they pumped out.

I expect with warhammer I’ll pick up all the misc DLCs for the 1st installment when they hit 50%, likely at the point they release part 2 (which I’ll pay full price for).

I should’ve noticed it’s not out on Mac before I started watching that!

It’s coming. In fact, I’m assuming it’s coming sooner rather than later, given that the Warhammer Steam page includes a Mac advertisement on it:

I don’t mind supporting devs. I think it’s more of a proportional thing for me, the price and amount of content of most DLC relative to the full game tends to be what I balk at. A few heroes and new units for $8? Nah, no thanks. Maybe it was Bethesda and that damned Oblivion horse armor that soured me years ago, who knows. But, yeah, at 50% off I would’ve bought it all up.

I keep bouncing off this, something about the colour palette and setting just doesn’t grab me. Which is irritating, considering how much I loved Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen 20 years ago.

I don’t think this even comes close to Shogun 2 in terms of mechanics, balance, gameplay or atmosphere. I was excited by the asymmetric nature of the races but found the battles dull far quicker than in even Rome 2.

Have completed Empire, Dwarf and almost finished the Greenskin campaign. All 3 stopped being challenging (and thus fun) at about 1/3rd of the way through achieving the objectives necessary to actually win the campaign.

Going to finish the Greenskins and then likely put the game away forever.

Also, I reckon it’s inarguable that the DLC is awful value compared to e.g. Shogun 2.

I think the same way. I don’t mind spending the $$$ on new releases but with dlc I am much more picky (cheap). I will wait for a sale.

Most previous title DLCs are just reskins. We’re talking about entirely new models in most cases here. You can’t just slap a beastman skin on a human and have it look right. More work goes into a single model than entire previous DLCs (which has led to the long-running joke on their forums about how many Charlemanes a given thing would cost).

But the wood elves exist in my DLC-less game. And the beastmen. And the elite units.

How does the DLC cost them ‘more money’ when the base game couldn’t even function without them?

Also, FOTS had completely different units than the original Shogun 2. Can’t quite remember ROTS.

This doesn’t make any sense. Try again.

The base game didn’t have those races at the start. They have been developed during the last year.

They did include them for free in the DLC-less game as NPC factions. Which is damn nice of them, tbh.

I guess you would have preferred your DLC game to not have those factions (as it was originally)?

The base game only had 3 faction sets including NPC? Empire, Dwarves and Greenskins? I only played it for the first time two or three weeks ago, I assumed all factions were in since launch and they just staggered DLC to give you access existing factions.

Christ, that makes it even worse value.

Here’s your warhammer game but we’re only providing a couple of the factions and leave vast blank spaces in the game while charging full price but it’s ok eventually those blank patches will have NPC factions which we’ll GIVE YOU FOR FREE but you’ll have to pay to play them but the value is amazing only $8.99 and think of how much work goes into them even though almost any other game would have included them as core content due to being intrinsic to setting but the VALUE WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

People are bloody dumb.

No, I think i’d prefer a game in a specific setting to be SET in that setting.

'Hey here’s your Shogun 3 but there’s no actual japanese factions you can only place as American traders but it’s ok you can purchase the Date faction pack for $18.99 after 3 months, we’ll also include a campaign map of JAPAN for free after 3 DLC!"

Don’t let facts get in your way!

‘Don’t let having an actual argument to make get in the way of having what one mistakenly believes to be a pithy one liner’

Thanks Scott, I think we all learned that about you years ago but by all means do continue.

The original Shogun had something like 15 units. M:TW had 40? 50? 60? I’m sure R:TW had even more.

I don’t recall having to pay $8.99 for each faction being dribbled out in either, justified by the “well it costs more to skin units” argument. I also don’t recall either intentionally leaving out content that was intrinsic to the setting until further DLC. DLC in both (and in M2TW and S2) were additional to the core setting and content.

‘Hey here’s your campaign map of Europe except ignore the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire’ ‘And the Iberian Peninsula’ ‘And Forget about the Balkans’ ‘Really it’s just Italy and North Africa Total War and the war isn’t really total as we’ve also left out other parts we’ll include in the DLC’

The original Shogun was great…haven’t like this series since.

I apologize profusely for being on your lawn.

Kind of like the original Warlords was the best or the first RPG you played was one of the best…it was a new, unique experience and everything since just rehashes everything before it.

I also hate the 3d strategic maps…just makes it harder to see things, slows down computers, just annoying.

I have the flu right now.

The amount of time I have spent chasing armies or dealing with ‘agents’ in various Total War games have long made me pine for the Risk-like simplicity of the original Shogun and Medieval, where you simply dragged an army from one province to another and fought whatever existing within the province (similarish to the EU games, though with a turn based system).

It isn’t superior by any means, it’s simply…different.

Valid. I have very fond memories of playing the original Mechwarrior, but looking at that video kind of makes me cringe.

That was probably my favorite until Shogun 2 came around. I also prefer the “tabletop” feel of moving pieces from one region to another instead of the quasi-RTS approach they borrowed (I believe) from EU.

You are clearly not going to be swayed by any arguments - it’s obvious you’ve made up your mind, and the actual situation can be damned, so I didn’t really feel the need to dig into your post. And I’m sorry to say, nothing you have said since indicates to me a willingness to understand or learn, but rather to continue being snide. That’s fine, it seems to be your own way of doing things, but it’s not mine and I don’t have a desire to have an argument with you.