Total War: WARHAMMER

That was the plan and still is as far as we know, though CA hasn’t been talking much about it so it’s somewhat still up in the air if that is still the case.

Both the High Elves and Dark Elves have colony/strongholds in Lustria. The problem is that they’d have to explain them building massive armies out of those, which is problematic. It’s thematically awkward. Less of a problem for the Skaven who can pop up anywhere, and of course the Lizards live there.

The High Elves also have no real reason to fight the Lizardmen, but I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

I’m going to start this.

Any recommended mod? I don’t have time to play without mods first and with mods later, so it’s now or never.

I see there is a mod with extra unit formations? and slower combat mods, extra maps, etc.

I tend to go crazy with mods in other games, but in TW:WH I haven’t really found the need. There are some cosmetic ones, and a few that expand some of the factions. Otherwise, I haven’t found anything “must have”. There are one or two ‘overhaul’ style mods (Steel Iron or something being the more recommended) but I don’t think you’d want to bother with it unless you are an expert at the base game.

I typically use 3
ROR’s - Gain XP (regiments of renown start at “level 1” and can slowly improve, instead of being capped from the get-go)
Better Trade (the amount of commodities you can trade with a partner varies based upon the number of regions they own)
10 Building Slots - All Province Capitals (what it says - elves get 12, however)

I heavily modded Rome 2 early on. But as they worked on it (and they needed to) I dropped mods. Attila: Total War doesn’t need any mods. Though I would agree missile weapons are still a bit too deadly.

Total War: Warhammer felt balanced out of the gate.

Nice to see a company learning how to balance. Though I still prefer a more in-depth strategic game, I realize what they managed to do in Tw:W. They got you all to play a total war game. Clever CA.

I agree. Radius mod feels fancy at first, lots of new units, but it seriously unbalances the game, makes every faction the same, and just makes it all too easy.

I mostly want mods that makes it harder, and that makes major factions stronger economically

Holy shit are the loading times long. With a i7 @ 4.0ghz, 16gb ram and the game installed in a SSD I think they should be shorter.

That came with the last patch. They used to be fairly quick, but then they seemed to have increased two or three fold for some reason.

Jeez, that’s a pretty big problem. Did they say they are aware of the problem and will fix it?

Really? I haven’t noticed any change in load times… still quite fast for me. Weird. You’d think there would be like a 500 page post on Reddit if it was a common issue.

Load times in the TW engine sometimes have nothing to do with SSDs or disk speed. They do some shader precompilation and texture processing on load, so it might be your graphic settings having gone up.

I was just playing this weekend and didn’t notice any slower load times…?

How long are load times, @TurinTur? My own load times seem like they are well under 10-15 seconds for battles and far less than 20 seconds for the main campaign. I’ll measure it tonight with my phone tonight, you have my curiosity.

Mine seem fine too. I did just start playing it though.

I’ve not had much issue with Warhammer either, just wanted to add though that has not always been the case with every TW title, my load times for Shogun 2 (battles and original start up) were/are mind numbing in how slow they are, and CA never took any meaningful steps to address it (other than slightly diminish the graphic quality after release that tragically did nothing for load times, sort of a lose-lose there).

I loaded my single player campaign in about 24 seconds, and a loaded into a battle in 14 seconds. That seemed pretty good to me, given all the art assets and such being loaded in.

Yeah, about 24 seconds here too.

It doesn’t happen every time, but I definitely noticed an increase in load times when the Brets were added.

It’s actually gotten better recently, but day of I recall the game taking nearly a minute (possibly more) to start a new game.

Maybe it was because it was the first time, but I’m speaking of 80 seconds or so, returning to the main campaign after the first tutorial battle.

Are you using DX12? That’s known to increase load times, I also get longer load times with it especially reloading the campaign map. If you are on DX12, and if you don’t lose too many frames as a result it might be a good idea to switch to DX11. If that doesn’t help dropping the textures down one setting could help.