Total War: WARHAMMER

This is a good point. I am using DX11 myself, as 12 didn’t seem to add anything but instability.

I used Dx12 and textures to the MAX! :P

edit: well, fuck me. I thought it was on the SSD because I usually install all games there. But this one was installed on the slow drive. Ops!

There isn’t any difference between DX11 and 12, texture or visual wise. The only thing DX12 can do is be more efficient and provide better performance, in theory, if the developers use it to tune the system. DX12 in TW:W is in beta, and you should stick with DX11. It will look the exact same, but load quite a bit faster (sounds like).

Ok, game in SSD.

Continue campaign => 73 seconds in dx 12
2nd attempt (just in case it had to generate cache files again) => 70 seconds in dx12
3rd attempt (deactivated mods, mainly the minor settlements mod) => 71 seconds in dx12
4th attempt => 17,5 seconds in dx11
5th attempt => 16 seconds in dx11, graphics lowered to ‘high’

So… well, it’s clear now. I have Windows 10 64bits and a AMD 290x, btw.

edit:
loading first adventure battle at High details : 17 seconds, at Ultra details: 15 seconds??. I suppose it doesn’t make any difference, and times can vary ~2 seconds randomly.

This is one of those games I personally would find unplayable if it weren’t on SSD, and yea, DX11 is much better than 12 on TW:W, for whatever reason.

I swapped to DX11 after we had our crash issues the other night, that explains the difference in load times. :)

Oh yeah, probably. I thought about going DX12 but to be honest it’s been garbage in every game that puts it out. I don’t really know why, maybe it’s hard for developers to wrap their head (and code) around it, but I’m sticking with DX11 in all of my games for a good while, I think.

Vulkan was good in Doom, and the predecessor Mantle was also good in BF4 and Thi4f, so maybe devs should focus more on Vulkan.

I get the feeling it’s at least partially about dev resources. In Warhammer, I’d attribute the problems TurinTur is having to the fact that DX12 support is in beta for that game. DX11 is the baseline everyone can run, so I think it tends to get the lion’s share of dev time and testing.

I’ve yet to really dig into this game, and I want to play a human faction campaign but I don’t want the empire’s starting problems. So which of the new(er) human factions would be the best to start with?

I’ve been playing a Bretonnian campaign over the last few days, and they’re certainly different to the Empire. A lot of cavalry and a slightly odd economic model. Also, they start real slow.

I was leaning toward Bretonnia (sp?). What’s the best expansion route to take? I’m not much of a strat gamer these days, still plodding through my first Xcom 2 campaign on easy mode.

I’ve only just unified Bretonnia, so I’m not sure yet. Going through the Southern Realms and then fighting the orcs looks like it will be profitable, you have techs that make orcs a natural enemy. The only other real option I see is to break east into the Empire provinces.

I’m on my third campaign of Warhammer and I’m still unclear on some of the mechanics. For instance; if I build Warhorse Breeder’s Stables, does the buff affect all recruited units in my empire, or just in that province?

One thing about Warhammer is that all the factions start in “uncomfortable” places, unlike in the historic games where you can have some terrain that hides you behind choke points or map boundaries.

Honestly the Vampires probably have the “nicest” starting position as long as you don’t rile up the Dwarves (or as they call them now, Dawi #middlefingerAgeofSigmar). And actually the vamps have some nice mechanics to keep you moving forward. Probably the second nicest starting position, ironic as it may seem, is Chaos. But the key to winning as Chaos is to ignore the lands to the south and vassilize all the Nord tribes before heading south to plunder and pillage. OTOH they are the hardest faction in the game to use correctly (protip: vs the AI, poison warhounds are by far your favorite unit). The Wood Elves are probably third; they have a hard time pushing beyond Bretonnian lands but an easy time squashing Bretonnia into dust. They just have a hard time in general going too far from their home provinces. A lot of people love the Dwarves but i haven’t had time to try them out. The Empire starts with an annoying starting province that is almost impossible to defend without three separate armies because of it’s wonderful geography, and the elector provinces around you all have their main cities in distant, annoying areas to march towards. The “Empire” is hard to defend and hard to unite by force, and by the time Chaos arrives you’re unlikely to be well prepared for them.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Yeah, a lot of love gets thrown at the dwarves, and while their book of greivances looks like a fun mechanic I really want to start with a human faction first.

Just the province.

Actually that’s just dwarf in dwarfish (khazalid). Age of Sigmar changed then to duardin (which is sick and wrong and has been duly entered in my book of grudges).

An entire series of videos on Bretonnia campaigns.

Everything is by province, which is why you gotta specialize, but I kinda think they’ve made the requirements too steep, the AI is completely unable to field high tier armies at any difficulty level.

There is a mod called steel faith that tries to deal with that, I recommend it.

This is no longer true as of a few patches ago. The tribes can and will break out of vassalization. You can still use them as an early punching bag to level up but you’re better off beelining for the empire to raze them ASAP.