Totally new game model

I play less and less new games, as most are more of the “seen it, done it” category. And instead of concentrating on a richer playing experience and learning and incorporating the lessons of all the old ones in that category, while expanding on the possibilities and ease of use, they mostly focus on better graphics and making things easier.

They become less and less compelling and interactive games, but more and more interactive movies with highly artificial rules, that require more and more twitch action to keep things happening as intended.

In other words, I perceive less control and less story, but better graphics and more manual actions to keep things competitive in multiplayer.

And they’re for 99% copies of one or an amalgam of old, classic games, without seeming to get what made those old classics worth playing.

Fortunately, there are still games worth playing, that do expand on their predecessors nicely. But, the most memorable games are the unique ones, that were unlike anything else.

Can someone think of a truly new and different game, and explain to me why it might be fun? And how it can be produced and marketed to be a big seller?

That way, I might be able to play it some day.

:)

I’d like to announce my next QT3 Meta Game. “SymbolicFrank Fan Club: Fuck You, SymbolicFrank!” will feature revolutionary forum metagame design.

[b]How about this[/b].

ARhrrrr is an augmented reality shooter for mobile camera-phones, created at Georgia Tech Augmented Environments Lab and the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD-Atlanta). The phone provides a window into a 3d town overrun with zombies. Point the camera at our special game map to mix virtual and real world content. Civilians are trapped in the town, and must escape before the zombies eat them! From your vantage point in a helicopter overhead, you must shoot the zombies to clear the path for the civilians to get out. Watch out though as the zombies will fight back, throwing bloody organs to bring down your copter. Move the phone quickly to dodge them. You can also use Skittles as tangible inputs to the game, placing one on the board and shooting it to trigger an explosion.

One of the inspirations for this game was the game Joe Warpin, from our Handheld Augmented Reality games class (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62cbXp… ).

Really cool! A board game with a Java-game that runs on your phone the whole family could enjoy.

I would like some more opponents than only zombies, but the idea is great!

How would it play?

I’m a programmer by profession, and if you can make it into a compelling game I could put on my website, I would. I’m looking for something interesting for months.

3D is still a bit of a bummer in browsers, but just about everything else is fair game. I’ll produce it if I like the idea and can put it on a website.

Anything above that would have to be really good and compelling, but most likely be above my potential budget.

You need to invest in a totally new thread model.

Came hoping for a hot gaming girl. Disappointed.

I did. Threads on W32 are awful, if they work as expected at all. I even programmed it, and will most likely use that in the future, if required or useful, for my own projects. They’re like tasks (like stream processing, or how working threads on W32 are called).

But that is probably different from what you meant. ;)

According to this chart from May 23, 2009, SymbolicFrank was banned. So what gives?

I’m a nice guy?

Anyway, I’ll try only to respond to posts that are on-topic from now on.

The Tapir Incident, in which Tom reverse trolled the board and then self-ignited, apparently coincided with the unbanning of some folks. What the two had to do with one another, I have not the slightest idea.

It sounds like there are two topics. One is you being a fucking idiot and proclaiming the entire gaming industry a wasteland of clones of older, better games. The other is you being a fucking idiot and asking how to make and pitch a game that doesn’t suck. Which one should we respond to?

Ok, I can’t help myself.

What’s the fun in owning a great board if you have to be politically correct all the time? Why can’t you join in the fun and be like the other guys? Just be yourself? Why the double standards?

For people like me, forums are for fun, to relax. And have a fit occasionally, just like people do in real life.

Tom is human, and sometimes likes a good rampage just as much as everyone else.

As a co-worker said: “I really have to take someone down today, otherwise I will be hitting my wife this weekend. And we can’t have that, right?”

He was joking, of course, but it was sincere as well.

I predict bad things for you in this thread.

So, hey, do you know what you guys just lost?

Hm. Ok, it seems I can’t avoid this.

Me being a fucking idiot: I’m fine with that, as long as you tell me why, so I can respond. And remember; while you might have been on this board for years and know all the ins and outs, do and dont’s, I just recently joined. I still have to learn.

Second, I know that some people in the industry visit this board, and most members are expected to be game buffs. What better audience to discuss games, especially if it might have a chance to be a (minor) point in their next game?

Third, I notice this often with American people: while in Europe discussing and questioning personal believes is what everyone does all day, in the US it often seems to me that is sacrilegious. Personal criticism is Not Done.

And last, I’m just interested in games, have a “midlife game crisis” like more people on this board (there were some threads about that recently), and just want to make a difference. If that means making a game myself, so be it. But I haven’t got the resources to make a big one.