Totally new game model

You are missing the point entirely. People are sick of reading both your original posts and your responses. It’s a delicate balance between trying not to reply, knowing that you will try to respond to every single bit of attention someone gives you, and having to reply so that you can know just how unwanted your responses are. More of your responses are exactly the opposite of what forum-goers in general want.

Ok. Thanks for the heads-up.

Do you think I could make a valued contribution, and if so, can you tell me what the people around here would like me to contribute?

Or, if it would be a wasted effort, I would LOVE to know why they get so sick of me. Because I haven’t got the faintest idea, except that I didn’t start out meek and tried to win their acceptance over time.

I just browsed around until I thought I had things to contribute which I thought people around here might enjoy. But it seems I was wrong.

Edit: or do I have to produce a game myself before I can have the opinion I have?

Wasted effort because:

Your posts spawn about eighteen different ways that anyone could call you an idiot. See: bringing in America vs. Europe into this very thread. You can’t stay on a topic.

You think that you’re being so fucking original, but you’re not. See: You, yourself pointing out that there are plenty of other threads with similar topics to this one.

It appears that your only real interest is attention. See: The methodical way that you reply to every tiny shred of it anyone gives you.

You make random leaps in logic that no other human being could follow and throw them into your shotgun-style posts. See: “do I have to produce a game before I can have an opinion”.

Normally I would just tell someone to lurk more, but it’s pretty clear that you’re just not getting it, and you likely won’t.

And he’s not even much fun to insult since apparently he lacks the capacity for emotion of any kind.

Personally, I’d like to see you and kerzain discuss the writings of William S. Burroughs.

I have thought a bit about the wisdom of answering this post before and after I wrote a response. And after editing it as well. But not responding won’t solve anything, I think. And it would have wasted half an hour of my time. So, here goes:

That’s what you get with projects in real life as well: they never stay on course as you devised them. As someone once said: “No battle plan survives the initial contact with the enemy.”

Not that I see the posters here as the enemy, otherwise I wouldn’t bother coming here altogether, but the ones that respond most seem to be very keen in making themselves so.

You think that you’re being so fucking original, but you’re not. See: You, yourself pointing out that there are plenty of other threads with similar topics to this one.
I know, I read them. But I didn’t have something meaningful to contribute at that time.

I don’t think I’m very original. I might be able to link things from different disciplines together, but I have no doubt that whatever I come up with, there are (and have been) many people who know better.

I just think I’m unique, as a person, in how I put it all together. Just like everyone else.

It appears that your only real interest is attention. See: The methodical way that you reply to every tiny shred of it anyone gives you.
Well, yes, that’s why I’m here: to discuss things. Not simply to score points.

How would you feel if I walked away halfway through a heated discussion? I think you would think you had won. While I would have lost interest. But what’s the point in discussing things if you don’t want to learn and grow from them?

You make random leaps in logic that no other human being could follow and throw them into your shotgun-style posts. See: “do I have to produce a game before I can have an opinion”.
I’ll try not to be clever with you next time, as long as you promise not to take it out on me when you don’t get it. Or, at least wait a bit to see if others do. I would think twice about posting a response in this thread as well, as it might put the heat on me.

Normally I would just tell someone to lurk more, but it’s pretty clear that you’re just not getting it, and you likely won’t.
I have lurked here a lot in the past. And still do.

Most of my off-topic replies seem to be very friendly and defensive, to me. What’s your problem with them?

I really want to be friends and join. No strings attached.

Dear SymbolicFrank

Please keep doing what you do. You’re making me look good.

respectfully: krise madsen

Not any more.

You bastidges will have to earn it from now on.

What.

I totally support, and agree with this message.

I don’t remember what the previous drama surrounding you was about, but in this case, you’ve posed a fairly silly question. It’s like one writer asking another “So, what kind of book would be a huge, breakthrough success, and how exactly would you go about writing it, plot point by plot point?” If they knew, they’d be off doing it, not spilling all their big secrets to you in idle chatter.

Not that there’s not room for discussion about how to improve games in general, but that’s not what you asked for.

You should start signing them

Your mother, no disrespect, but F you, no disrespect,

Krise Madsen

Thanks, that’s something I can work with.

That wasn’t my intent when posting it, but I take it the general idea is, that if it can be explained in a bad way, it will.

Anyway, I think I’m done with posting here for the next week or so. It isn’t any fun.

Don’t I have to be Italian for that?

Just try not creating threads for a long while, and reply in other threads only when you have something relevant to contribute. Also try to resist the tendency to say weird things (i.e. that Europe/US thing earlier). Then maybe it’ll all blow over and posting here will not result in pages of people mocking you?

Is it possible to come off as anything other than a troll when you smile in an internet forum? This was your fatal flaw SymbolicFrank. If you want to be taken seriously then never, ever smile here. You got that?

As to your original question “Can someone think of a truly new and different game, and explain to me why it might be fun? And how it can be produced and marketed to be a big seller?” I’m not sure creating a “new and different game” is all it will take to entertain the long-time jaded gamer like me (or apparently you).

There’s another thread around here from a guy who can’t play a game more than a few minutes before tiring of it and feeling the urge to move on. I’ve heard it called Gamer A.D.D., that sounds as good as any other name I could give it. I suffer from the same problem. The solution isn’t buying and trying game after game after listening to the marketing hype for every new game that comes down in the pike, in hopes of finding a new and fun experience. All this does (for me) is wear out my tolerance for even minuscule problems or issues in each new game. I literally downloaded and subsequently uninstalled Dungeons and Dragons Online because the sound of a campfire in the training sessions irked the crap out of me. This is an extreme example of retarded game-buying behavior, but it serves as a snapshot of how different people suffer from varying degrees of simply being over-stimulated by playing/trying too many video games.

I can look at games rated 9.0-9.5 by gamers and review sites alike and I buy and try them and end up disappointed and frustrated at the sameness of it all: Bioshock, Fallout 3, Oblivion, World of Warcraft, NWN2, World of Goo, Super Smash Bros Brawl… all games people LOVE, all games I couldn’t stand playing when I brought them home. I don’t care how good the game is supposed to be, something always annoyed me to the point of uninstalling. What does this say about the games? NOTHING, what does it say about me? It’s time for a freaking break. The problem wasn’t the games. The problem wasn’t the sameness. Shit, I’m still playing incarnations of Super Mario Brothers and Zelda over twenty years after my first go-round with these titles. So it isn’t the sameness that’s killing these games for me. It’s my over-indulgence.

Too much of anything is a bad thing. The solution for me wasn’t to keep looking for something new, it was to pry myself away from video games all together for a for certain periods. I’m a hype whore, I see promises of new game-play and I want to experience this new game play. But if I’m consistently plunging myself into a new game mere days after re-installing and subsequently uninstalling half a dozen games because of sameness I’m just doing myself a disservice.

If you seriously can’t find ONE SINGLE game on the market that you enjoy playing you should probably look inward at the problem, instead of pointing the finger at the entire gaming industry as a whole.

Personally I’ve been making an effort to go out and do some board gaming. This does two things for me, helps me meet people and introduces me to TRULY new gaming experiences. The actual game mechanics of a table-top D&D Delve or a Scrabble game might mimic their video-game counterparts, but playing against people you hardly know in a real life setting truly adds more to the experience. Board Games still give me my gaming fix, but I had no IDEA how fun they could be, because I had no idea how totally different some of the mechanics were to video games that I’ve played over the years. Ticket to Ride, Race for the Galaxy, even something as simple as Carcassone or Acquire. THESE offered new experiences for me as a video gamer, even though some of them are simple reincarnations of similar mechanics from games 40 years old.

I’m not suggesting you go out and try to make new friends, but it might do you well to take your gaming off-line and see how much you learn to appreciate ‘samey’ video games when you finally return to them one or six months later. Although I do think there is a certain level of sameness when comparing several new releases the individual games can be fun if you aren’t over-dosing on them.

As for creating the next mass marketed video game I don’t even think a ‘new experience’ is what the market needs. I think there are tons of good game mechanics that can be repackaged, retooled, refined and turned into a delightful game. I love pointing at PuzzleQuest when talking about this. It’s a freaking Bejeweled rip-off, but the ‘over used’ RPG elements truly deliver an experience you won’t get from Bejewled or any number of RPG’s alone. Sometimes it isn’t about creating something totally new, it’s creating just the right fusion of existing ideas. Stuff like this works for me, it can work for millions of people. But it still takes talent to pull it off.

EDIT: Oh yea, I cut this out and didn’t put it back in. Sometimes people don’t want to admit to themselves that they’re simply out-growing something. This isn’t an issue of maturity, or simply over-indulging in something, it an issue than somewhere deep inside you’ve had all the fun you can have doing something and it’s time to move on. You might find that even if you took a year off gaming you might come back thinking you want to play shitloads of video games, only to find that they still overwhelmingly bore you to death. It might be time to move on to the next chapter of your life, cobbling.

Intially, I wanted to write something snarky, but you are right. I enjoy the personal aspects of playing games with somebody far more than playing the computer. Even in multiplayer with a game I really like, there is a level of disconnect that i don’t get if, say, I’m playing cards with people. now, shoot if I could get a LAN party of panzer elite… well then!

SymbolicFrank: here’s a blog you might enjoy.

In a Joycean stream-of-consciousness duel of monologues, please.