Townscaper: It ain't a game yet

15% off for the winter sale, people need to post more screenshots here.

Seems the developer is still updating the game monthly, as it is still in early access.

Is it a game yet?

I don’t think it’s ever meant to be a game. Whether he takes the tech and uses it for a different project is another question, but this likely will remain a software toy, albeit a fun one.

Just referencing the thread title, I don’t actually care if it’s ever a game!

Its done. And it is what it is. :)

Also now on the Nintendos:

Many of you have dreamed of larger changes and bigger features. While I am afraid we don’t have further development plans at this point, I am glad and humbled the game has sparked your imagination.

I have spent the last year off and on my ridiculously long Swedish parental leave. What little work time I’ve had, I’ve spent fixing bugs, working with Raw Fury on the additional platform releases, and admiring your beautiful Townscaper creations.

As always, let us know if you find any bugs.
Many thanks for all the love,
Oskar Stålberg

Time to change the thread title to “It will never be a game, but it’s a pretty awesome toy.”

Which is fine. However, considering how visually appealing it is, I have to admit that, to me, it’s a damn shame. I don’t get much mileage out of toyboxes and would love to play a city builder that looked like this.

I wish Planet Zoo/Coaster had a mode like this where you could just paint random, cool-looking buildings/scenery into your park.

They don’t? I thought that’s what sandbox was for, though to be honest even their normal modes really aren’t simmy enough IMO. They sort of occupy an uncomfortable middle ground - better to go full toy or full sim.

Ooooh, there’s time-of-day/lighting settings now

yknow what’d really make this for me? If you could put yourself on the map in fp mode and walk the streets. I dunno why, but i think that’d be really neat.

Most of these places don’t look like they really have “streets.”

their inventors lack imagination

As dawn breaks, i look out at the great crane. Hopefully today’s shipment will be in early and we can get a good start offloading it…

I can hear them on my roof, they wait for me to walk outside, planning their bird bombs for just the right moment.