Toy Story 3

They’ve already shown that one can do that with a G or PG rating, though. I’d be interested to think if you think the same after watching Up.

Ahh sorry, I thought you said you had missed the TS3 trailer when you went to see Up.

Might as well stick with what they do best, but I imagine at some point some of the writers and directors may get bored and form (or join) a studio and tackle some more mature content.

Brad Bird is working on his 1909 feature, which is a period earthquake epic, too.

New trailer.

Looks amusing enough. Also, it was announced today that Kristen Schaal is voicing a mysterious character.

Maybe I’m nutty, but does ‘resetting’ Buzz (from the full trailer) bother anybody else?

Sure, buzz is funnier when he’s ignorant. They came up with a decent way to get that back in TS2. But this time they press a reset button, and suddenly he forgets all about who he is?

Do other toys have a mind wipe button? Does he really have no soul that would survive a system reset? It must not be a complete wipe, because I’m sure he’ll be back to his old self by the end of the movie.

The whole mechanic seems wrong. Most of the other toys have no batteries/electricity, and they’re alive. With personalities. They know things, and have an identity. When buzz was new, he had a crackpot identity – but you could just base that on his world view, or something. Like the army men acting like army men, rather than just dudes in green. But his electronics were just to make the lights blink, or play a voice clip. They didn’t affect his general personality.

I really hope there’s some good explanation for the whole thing with the rest of the story, and it’s not just some cheap story device that breaks all the conventions of ‘living’ toys, just so Buzz can be ignorant again.

Maybe after the reset he just acts differently because his voice clips are spanish, and the real buzz is still there (just acting drunk-ish) and they eventually figure out how to get it back to english (probably with another collision/crash like what prompted the first reset) and he’ll be fine.

And I don’t figure many other people care, but I had to vent. Carry on.

I worried about that immediately after the trailer, but I quickly remembered that Pixar’s smart enough either to make it a major plot point with a good resolution or to reset him in English (all back to normal) immediately after the gag.

So this is out and of course it’s great.

I predicted last year this would be the first “miss” by PIXAR. I’m really hoping I’m wrong.

I’m not really a big fan of PIXAR or digital animated films, but I really enjoyed this movie. It does live up to the hype. I came in with no expectations and greatly surprised at how well done this was. Definitely one of the better movies I have seen in the past year.

This is almost certainly the best movie of the year. I saw it on Imax today with my 6 year old daughter and I was just blown away. (She loved it too.) It has huge thrills and laughs right out of the gate and I think I choked up 3 times in the first 10 minutes. By the end I was turning to look at my daughter’s smiling face and laughing/crying like a fool.

And of course the short before the film was pure genius as well. The talents at Pixar are gods among men.

Saw this today with Jenn in 3D IMAX and thought it was just exceptional. Pixar does it again. Touching in many places, goes to some very dark places as well, plus one scene that does both simultaneously. A wonderful capoff to the Toy Story universe that feels like visiting and saying farewell to old and dear friends. I have to imagine this is going to hit really close to home for a lot of kids who grew up on the Toy Story movies.

What he said. I am consistently amazed at how Pixar moves from the powerful to the poignant so easily and skillfully. I hope they keep making movies forever.

How does it fare against How to Train Your Dragon?

Quite a bit better than How To Train Your Dragon. Previous prediction shattered. I blame my inherent cynicism and a pretty crappy set of Toy Story 3 trailers. I do understand why the marketing department would have a hard time making it look like a rollicking fun-packed romp, though.

I think Dragon offers the superior visual experience but the characterization is better in Toy Story 3.

I was actually more impressed by the 3D quality in Toy Story 3, but I think the theatre I saw Dragon in was miscalibrated or something.

I was a bit disappointed by this as it was going, but it won-out in the end. The reliance on “horror” elements to drive the story seemed out-of-place for a Pixar film. I would have to believe that they were left over from that first “direct to video” version of Toy Story 3 that Disney was going to do on their own without Pixar. However, you could also see where Pixar came in and saved this thing. The beginning and ending were top-notch, and the “Bonnie” character was a nice change from your standard obnoxious-slash-know-it-all-slash-talks-like-an-adult child in most movies. It’s funny how Pixar wins the day, even when a good portion of the movie falls flat.

I couldn’t stop laughing at all the tortilla parts. Excellent movie, and wow, pretty intense at times. It’s up there with my favorites from Pixar.

Given the audience of children, I wonder how well the (brief) subtitled parts went over.

Such a great movie. It knew how to play our heartstrings it a wonderful way.

The subtitled sequences did not effect my daughter’s ability (at age 4) to enjoy those parts of the film, in fact she one particular sequence had her laughing out loud.

You know, that is true. It is interesting to see it from a kid’s perspective. Last night on the way home I was talking to my girls about how some of the toys were “real” and some were made-up for the Toy Story movies. They all said “no Dad, they are ALL real”. I started to argue, and then I realized they were right. When the first movie came out, Woodie, Buzz (and later Jessie) were all made-up by Pixar. However, in the ensuing years they have become real toys that kids play with. In some cases they are kids favorite toys. It’s odd for me to think of a kid going to see Toy Story and having the main characters be toys they already have. It must be a completely different perspective.