Toy Story 3

I think the scenes with Ken and with El Buzz were my absolute favorites. Does anyone know if all of those outfits are authentic?

As someone who thought the first two Toy Stories were “OK” at best, do you think I’d enjoy Toy Story 3? Or is it more of the same?

(I love pretty much everything else Pixar has done, by the way. But the Toy Stories just never grabbed me.)

Well if not, there really is no reason why they could not have used real ones. There seem to be a lot of them. Wow.

This wasn’t the first film I’ve taken my four year old to watch (that was Wall-E), but it’s the first film he was genuinely excited to see. He’s watched the 1st two iterations on DVD numerous times, and couldn’t wait to get to the theater. He was talking, laughing and grinning from ear to ear for practically the entire film. Probably the most fun I’ve ever had at a movie since I was a kid.

Totoro as an ‘extra’ was unexpected. I’m kind of glad he had little more than a cameo, since he’s such a magical character in his own right, at least to my kids.

GET OUT!!!

My 7 year old pointed out that Totoro did not talk, which was appropriate.

You are both broken human beings… when taken out of context.

I thought the “Day and Night” short at the beginning was great, too.

Toy Story 3 was always a theatrical release, even the Circle 7 version. Maybe you are thinking of the second film which was initially supposed to be direct-to-video. And from what I understand, Pixar went out of its way to ensure that their version–which apparently existed in treatment form prior to Disney’s attempt–shared absolutely no DNA with the Circle 7 bungle.

Anyways, I thought this was by far the most entertaining film this summer with enormous laughs and incredible action, but the manufactured schmaltz fell flat for me. I also felt the 3D was pretty worthless aside for Day and Night.

You are absurd.

Oh. I wouldn’t claim that one then. Parts of it seemed very TV to me. Not bad, but not up to Pixar par either. Kicks ass on most others though.

I respectfully disagree. The ending was handled in just about the best way it could have been handled. I was really impressed. Also, if you imagine a “Jacob’s Ladder” element (like i did) just before “the claw” moment, it could be the best ending Pixar has ever done.

3D did nothing for me either…aside from making my wallet much much lighter ($14.50 + $11.50 for each of 3 kids). It was the same theater I saw “Cloudy with a Chance Of Meatballs”, so I know it’s not the tech in the room.

There were many things that caused me to laugh, but this sequence was my favorite as well.

I even cried before the claw came, not because I expected a Pixar film to end that way, but because I knew the characters were feeling that way. I think they managed to get all of the emotion without the sad ending.

That’s a great way of putting it.

Utterly wonderful movie. Probably the best “third film in a series” ever, IMHO. Amazing how well it worked at all levels, from entertaining and scaring the kids to tugging the hearstrings of adults. Funny as hell, too. LOVED the tortilla and Spanish Buzz sequences.

The “Day and Night” short was really nicely done, too.

He is alexlitel.

I am another one who wasn’t a huge fan of the first 2 Toy Story movies. They’re fine, but watching them after all the other Pixar flicks, they… just didn’t live up to my expectations.

3, on the other hand, blew me away.

I’d like somebody to talk about the Post-It Note™ transition at the end of the film. How Woody has been pushing one way for the entire film, that they are Andy’s toys and their purpose in life is to be there for him–and this is a motivation that goes back to the first film–and then flips at the last second.

Help me out with this. Because it bugged me the first time I saw TS3, and has stuck with me through a second viewing and subsequent discussion.

He has a moment where he doubts the attic before they hitch a ride on the garbage truck back to home, but that feels weird to me. Tacked on.

Help me out.

-xtien

“Just pretend I’m not here.”

I think that change is due to Bonnie. While playing with her that Woody realized that there were kids that needed them.

BTW, if you haven’t seen the movie, XtienDingus just put us smack dab into [spoiler] territory.

[SPOILERS]

But if so, why did he choose Bonnie, instead of going back to Sunnyside? The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.

Then again, we’re analyzing the motivational consistency of a sentient child’s toy here. What did we do before the Internet?

My 5-year old was asking me “what’s he saying?” a lot during those parts. Didn’t stop her from loving the movie anyway.

This was her (and my, actually) first 3D movie. At the beginning when they showed the Disney logo, she turned to me and exclaimed “The word is coming out of the screen!”. I got my money’s worth just for that.