Toy Story 3

Because we are never shown “good kids” at the daycare. There is a big difference between daycare playing and being loved by a kid like Andy. That relationship is unique and is presented as the toy nirvana. It isn’t until we meet Bonnie that we see another example like that.

I saw this in 2-D. Did I miss much? Aside from Avatar, I haven’t really seen much point in wearing headache inducing, light dimming, 3-D glasses.

Spoiler

If you believe, like I did, that they all actually died in incinerator, and the last 15 minutes was Woodie’s journey from life (the claw), through the Abyss (the journey home on garbage truck), crossing over (in the car with Andy), meeting God (Andy lovingly handing the toys to Bonnie) and into and idyllic Heaven (Bonnie’s house), then you can forgive most anything that happened.

What the hell? It wasn’t that much of a stretch. It was a transformation of character. Come on, guys, damn.

My 6 year old thought El Buzz was the funniest part, except maybe for the tortilla.

Geoff

Movie haters gotta hate movies. :)

The Qt3 movie podcast on Toy Story 3’s queued up for my drive home. I’m not even sure I want to hear this one, but then again, I’m rather curious how far they’re going to have to stretch to find ammo to nitpick this one to death… “What about that obvious Buzz Lightyear product placement?”

[spoiler]

Woody’s point throughout the film is that they need to be there for Andy, and Andy will decide what he wants to do with them (college, attic or donate).

His experiences during the course of the film lead Woody to manufacture an opportunity for Andy to change his mind and make a new choice at the end of the film, which he does.

Okay, this made me laugh.

-xtien

“I get the Corvette.”

Bingo. They would be there while Andy needed them, but he realized that he didn’t need them anymore. He was willing to let them go and move on. I could bring up any number of analogies at this point, but I’ll refrain for the time being.

QFT!

Woody is Andy’s lifelong favorite toy, and he’s never had a previous owner. He’d naturally have a tough time coming around to moving on. Fully realizing that Andy was ready to move on was what flipped Woody’s switch to be able to let go.

Anyway, podcast unheard I’m already groaning about the prospect of hearing nitpicks about the ‘rules’ of batteries, factory resets, and allowed toy movement near people.

Of course, bringing your four year old to Toy Story 3 and watching them beam with delight when Mr.Potato Head turns into a ‘pancake’ (the tortilla) renders a lot of critical analysis moot.

At some point down the line, maybe after multiple kids, this kind of thing will wear off. It will still be awesome and cute mind you, but you will be at the point where you have watched so many kids movies that you start to get openly critical of them. This is probably because you have not had the chance to see any adult movies, so kids’ movies are open season. You will try to keep it positive with your kids (“It was great, huh honey?”) mostly because your wife has asked you to, but at one point you will break down. “Daddy, how did you like the movie?” your sweet little girl will ask. “Hmm. For $70.00 I spent on tickets and popcorn, It was total crap.” you will respond. Then you will know you have crossed the threshold.

Exactly, and Woody put himself into a position where he let Andy make that final decision. I thought it was great and doesn’t break any character motivations.

And what happened to “the bad guy” was brilliant. “Hey a Lotsa Hugs bear! I used to have one of these! sniff Mmmmm, strawberries.”

Has your four-year-old seen Citizen Kane? How about any early Bergman? Fellini? Please, at least tell me that your child has seen some Truffaut!

Really, it seems like you are trying to pass your child off as a film critic, when his (or her) credentials are sorely lacking.

Did anybody else know that Lotso was the bad guy as soon as he showed up? I saw that from a mile away. He was just too nice!

Also otherwise the movie was going to be about 30 minutes long.

Yeah that was somewhat obvious, everyone was just too nice in that scene, so there had to be a catch. A little kid might not realize it though.

The little phone toy thing was trying to warn the gang while Lotso was making the introduction. Was he blinking S.O.S, or just looking around nervously? Damn 3-D goggles >:(

SPOILERS

I think the event that changed Woody’s mind was when he saw Andy’s mom and how she felt the same way about him leaving but knew he needed to move on to the next stage of his life. That prompted Woody to manipulate events to allow Andy to make that choice for Woody.

SPOILER

Actually, there’s a good deal of me thinking that Woody intended to get back into Andy’s college box after writing the address for Bonnie onto the sticky note. Andy turned around before Woody could finish up and return to the college box, so Woody just dove into that box.

Maybe?

SPOILERS

No, I don’t think so. Woody watching Andy’s mother plus the “we go out as a family” scene in the incinerator very strongly implies that Woody feels it’s more important to stick with his friends and let Andy move on. In the end, all of Woody’s talk about how it’s their job to be there for Andy was actually his own selfish way of refusing to acknowledge the reality of the situation. At the end, when he leaves the note, Woody understands this, and I am 100% sure he gets in the donation box intentionally.