Toy Story 4

Really!

Seems like Toy Story 4 currently has a perfect score in RT:

Now i am positively interested in this movies. Anyone seen it yet?

Huh. Graun review was pretty ho hum. Not sure how that got turned into a Fresh rating.

I was curious about this but I don’t see the word “Graun” show up in any of the 11 pages of reviews, so I’m guessing whatever site this is isn’t considered part of the review meta.

Sorry, force of habit. UK satirical magazine Private Eye refers to the Guardian newspaper as the Grauniad, on account of its (somewhat unfair) reputation for typos back in the day. Journos like myself often refer to it as the Graun as a result.
This might explain it:

The actual score is 3/5. To be fair, it is positive out of context.

Yeah, that may not be a glowing review, but given “Rotten” or “Fresh” it’s definitely not a rotten review.

I’m so excited to see this and relieved they didn’t mess up a very good thing.

Forky is such a funny character idea; the child’s craft project who’s convinced he’s not a toy but actually just garbage. And Buster Bluth voicing him! Can’t wait.

My children routinely play with literal garbage, not even crafts-made-from-garbage. Food wrappers with cute pictures on them, samples cups from Trader Joe’s, twisty ties from the grocery store. They call them treasures and complain when we throw them away.

More relatably, maybe Toy Story 5 will have Boxy, the large cardboard box who achieved sentience.

We saw this yesterday. This is the first full movie I’ve seen in theater with my youngest nephew who is actually starting kindergarten in the fall. Both nephews enjoyed the movie, but the youngest struggled a little because the theme of this story was just over his head. The characters kept him quasi interested, aka he didn’t ask to leave or say he was bored but he got out of his seat repeatedly because he wasn’t fully engaged. Toy Story 3, however, is one of his favorites due to the daycare setting.

Now my impressions of the movie is this was well done. They’ll definitely get cash for this but it never felt like a cash grab or a means to cash in. They had a message to share which actually works pretty well, and this is from someone who found the very idea of Forky to be meh. The new characters are unique, memorable and worthwhile and the closed story arch just works. Also, some old toys are just creepy as hell.

Yeah, the binary of Rotten Tomatoes often forces weird outcomes, like the not actually bad in any even potentially entertaining way, just aggressively bland and forgettable Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever getting a 0%. You might see that and think, “I have to see this trainwreck,” but it’s not a trainwreck, it’s just that everyone who saw it thought, “this is not a good movie,” and so 0% it gets. Likewise, getting a 100% doesn’t mean TS4 is great or even particularly good, it has just managed to avoid tipping any particular critic into the “this sucks” camp. It’s not in any way a measure of intensity.

I’ve always loved that title, though.

Who the fuck is Ecks?

Who the fuck is Sever?

Why do I care?

Saw it this afternoon. It’s amusing in places, rather dark in others. Kids will certainly dig it…maybe not very, very little ones, but certainly 6 and up.

Nevertheless, it was a bit like a Toy Story’s Greatest Hits album. It feels like they’ve run out of interesting ideas for these characters. Time to move on to the next thing.

I give it a meh review. I loved the first three, but this one was just okay for me. I just didn’t find it as amusing or touching as the other three. Worth seeing, but dang I hope this is the last of the series as they seem out of ideas.

I finally got around to watching this on Disney+ this weekend.

I really enjoyed it! I thought there was no more story to tell after Toy Story 3, so I was reluctant to even watch this, but it really does serve as a great epilogue to the main tale.

It’s a pretty fitting goodbye to Woody, essentially. What I don’t understand is a comment I saw from Tim Allen when they were doing the press for this movie when it came out. He said something along the lines of hoping they keep making more Toy Story movies. In retrospect, I find that puzzling, because I just don’t see it being a proper Toy Story movie without Woody. No one wants to see Buzz Lightyear and the gang, without Woody, surely?

The latter sequels mesh increasingly thorny, difficult, and adult themes onto the original Toy Story chassis. The third one, to me, was about mortality – the toys faced their imminent destruction. The fourth one, outside of a fun romp with the old gang, was about living and redefining their lives after they lost their original owner – it’s life after divorce, and not divorce from the kids’ point of view.

Where can they go from there? Will Buzz discover the minutiae separating a traditional IRA from a Roth IRA? Will green plastic Army Man bemoan the woeful state of veteran’s care? Will Woody sit in an easy chair, poring over Blood Meridian and yearning for the evening redness in the West? Maybe they can team up with the Velveteen Rabbit and learn about pandemics.

Toy Story 4 was competently created and beautifully rendered, but I think the franchise had run its course after 3. (But then, I think the same about the Daniel Craig Bond movies.)