Trailers Showing at Two Towers

Did anyone else think the trailers they showed before Two Towers were really bad?

I can’t remember them all of them now, but it was like Dumber and Dumberer [sic], Fred Almighty (something), and some really other stupid stuff. Someone who knows the movie business really well ought to chime in, but I believe they target trailers toward particular audiences, yes? At any rate, I went to see TT a second time and they played the exact same crap.

So what demographic do they think is going to see LOTR movies? I mean, we’ve got a lot of fans here–did anyone want to see any of the movies in the trailers? I thought it was all just awful and completely inapropriate for what the average TT fan is going to want to see.

It’s kinda like one of those My-Tivo-thinks-I’m-gay-deals, except there isn’t anyway to reprogram it. Where do these guys get off?

It has less to do with demographics and everything to do with marketing budgets and studios. Dumb and Dumberer is from New Line, same as Two Towers, so that’s an obvious trailer from their perspective.

As for Bruce Almighty, it’s a Jim Carrey summer movie, a potential blockbuster. So you put the trailer with a winter blockbuster, simple as that. Do you really think that a movie that’s going to make $300 million doesn’t have crossover with fans of Jim Carrey movies?

I’m pretty excited about Bad Boyz 2 and X-Men 2, both of which had trailers before TTT here in Sacramento.

The other crappy trailer they’re showing before TTT–“Final Destination 2”–is also a New Line release. If you want to see some good trailers, go see “Adaptation.” Awesome trailers.

Do you really think that a movie that’s going to make $300 million doesn’t have crossover with fans of Jim Carrey movies?

uh, Yes. I cringed watching Bruce Almighty. Both times!

But I was excited about Xmen 2, although the rest of the suck sorta made me forget I got excited.

Is New Line using all the LOTR goodness to finance only dreck? My word!

I think New Line was the only publisher that would finance Peter Jackson’s project and even allow him to split it up into three movies. Have they ever done anything else that doesn’t qualify as dreck?

Well, I thought Dumb and Dumber was hilarious, and I plan on seeing When Harry Met Lloyd. X-men 2 is a given, and – well, I thought Bruce Almighty looked kinda funny, to be totally honest.

So, if I’m they’re target audience, they didn’t miss too badly.

Based on the amount of times they went to the “dog sitting on the toilet” well, I’m going to have to disagree.

I think New Line was the only publisher that would finance Peter Jackson’s project and even allow him to split it up into three movies. Have they ever done anything else that doesn’t qualify as dreck?[/quote]

About Schmidt
Austin Powers
Blade
Boogie Nights
Dark City
Glengarry Glen Ross
Magnolia
Punch-Drunk Love
Se7en

Whoa, those are all New Line pictures!? (Checking Seven DVD…) Looks like you’re right. Well, then it seems they’re really just being rather random in their publishing choices.