Trailers

Two other trailers that looked promising when I went to see PotC:

Envy, with Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and (the actor that sold me on it) Christopher Walken.

Hidalgo. My wife says this will be the ultimate chick movie, since it features both horses and Viggo Mortensen. I thought it looked good too, though. The trailer doesn’t seem to be on thge web yet, though.

Secondhand Horses looks like it could either be very good or very, very bad.

I guess that’s three trailers, technically.

Hidalgo looks like Lawrence of Arabia meets Indiana Jones to me; hope it’s a good adventure movie.

I think you mean Secondhand Lions.

Envy had to be one of the worst trailers I’ve seen in a long time. The premise sounds great, but the trailer made it seem dull and perfunctory. What’s up with Barry Levinson these days?

As for Hidalgo, now that I’ve seen the trailer, I don’t really need to see the movie. And Ben’s wife is right: total chick movie. The girl I saw it with was practically jumping out of her seat.

As for being an adventure movie for dudes, director Joe Johnston has a pretty erratic track record: thumbs down on The Rocketeer and Jumanji, and minor approval for Jurassic Park III. I’m afraid he may have peaked with his first adventure movie, Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

-Tom

Speaking of trailers…

I have not been to a theater terribly often since my 2 year old was born, but have they always been chock full of bad one liners. Instead of setting you up for or giving you a tease for the film, they pick out the “I’ll be Back” lines. SWAT and Pirates were major offenders during my 28 Days Later foray. I realize they are only action movies, however, all I can assume from watching the trailers is that studios think all people who want to see action movies are complete idiots and need to be beaten into submission with catch phrases.

The trailers built no anticipation in me and, if anything, lessened my desire to see the films.

And dammit, there were fewer of the one liners in the Freddy vs. Jason trailer for chris’ sake. It actually had me a bit intrigued. Decent special FX and maybe a film that could take a cue from some recent horror flicks and be a bit creepy like the originals were. I doubt it, but one can hope.

Well, try this one, and see if it’s not worse.

Jean Reno and Juliette Binoche, in what has to be the most cliched, cookie cutter romantic comedy ever. And I’m usually a sucker for those type films.

Of course there’s a trailer for Hidalgo. Trailers aren’t always on Apple’s site, though. Pick your poison between Real, WM, or Quicktime.

They should be though. I want a site that collects every, single trailer in a fairly high-quality format (so no Real).

It’s up on the Apple site now. Might be decent, as always, hard to say from the trailer.

Hey, I liked the Rocketeer. How can an action/adventure with Jennifer Connelly looking hot in it not appeal to guys! Agree on Jurassic Park. Yeah, it was more of the same, but if you went in knowing that it was fun.

This just in: Hidalgo has been postponed until Spring 2004.

Any reason?