Trapping beeps

Okay - basically what I have is a real fucked up windows problem.

Essentially something is causing a system beep to occur somewhat randomly and persistantly. If it were merely annoying I would mute the volume for the system speaker. However the problem is much more than just persistant beeping - it is the fact then when it decides to beepsystem responsiveness goes way down: so I can’t do anything with windows or type correctly and with enough input the cursor will become staggered.

Something is causing this but I’ll be damned if I can find the source. I need some way of know what generated the beeps - hence the request. Maybe once I find the process I can kill it or at least find out why it’s doing this.

Are you running a pop-up stopper? If so, check to see if it’s set to make a beep when it blocks a pop-up. This was happening on one of my machines.

Nope. I just reinstalled.

If it was that simple I would have found it (it would have been bloody obvious because if I were visiting sites likely to have a gazillion pop-ups I would have linked it).

And I use Mozilla anyway.

Next time it starts happening, unplug your keyboard. If that stops it, you have a bad keyboard or bad keyboard port on your mobo.

It sounds like your system is overheating. Many PCs beep when the BIOS detects that your CPU is getting crispy.

Can’t. It’s a laptop.

I can feel if my system is too hot - and I would not expect it to get less hot or to be randomly hot.

For example I have just turned on my laptop - it’s cool. It however is beeping at me right now - making typing more difficult.

I would conceed it could indeed be a problem with the keyboard however I want to CONFIRM this so as much as I appreciate all your suggestions I really need to be able to trace the problem definitively.

Instead of curtly (or rudely) dismissing every suggestion we give you, have you considered giving us more info to go on? Model of laptop? Video chipset?

Sigh. I have been through all the usual movements ad infinitum. It is probably a keyboard error but I need to be able to show that so that the repair people will actually do anything about it.

Samsung A10 - S3 Twister - does that enlighten you? Unless you work for Samsung probably not. Unlike desktops I don’t actually expect anyone else to have any experience with the specific hardware - the chances of that are spectacularly remote.

The point is I didn’t ask anyone to diagnosis it - I asked someone if they know of the tools to do so. I don’t want to be told it’s probably a keyboard problem - I want to be able to trace exactly what it is the keyboard is doing to cause it!

Sigh. I have been through all the usual movements ad infinitum. It is probably a keyboard error but I need to be able to show that so that the repair people will actually do anything about it.

Samsung A10 - S3 Twister - does that enlighten you? Unless you work for Samsung probably not. Unlike desktops I don’t actually expect anyone else to have any experience with the specific hardware - the chances of that are spectacularly remote.

The point is I didn’t ask anyone to diagnosis it - I asked someone if they know of the tools to do so. I don’t want to be told it’s probably a keyboard problem - I want to be able to trace exactly what it is the keyboard is doing to cause it![/quote]

Well, thanks for the belated details. You could have mentioned it was a laptop in your initial post – or all the things you’ve tried “ad infinitum.” Or even how tech-savvy you are.

No, no. Don’t apologize for being rude. I, and probably others, didn’t realize you were under the thumb of the “repair people” nazis. If they won’t fix it without some kind of documented proof, then shit, I want that job. I wish my users had to actually know what the hell they were talking about before complaining.

Since you’ve tried everything, try this: Buy a new laptop.

I don’t have to but it speeds things up rather than then pondering over whether they’ll do anything about it or not and then deciding there’s nothing wrong and not doing so.

Well, thanks for the belated details. You could have mentioned it was a laptop in your initial post – or all the things you’ve tried “ad infinitum.” Or even how tech-savvy you are.

I could have but like I said - I just wanted to trace the source of the beeping definitively. I don’t see what difference being a laptop or not would have made - I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to actually trace it through software.

No, no. Don’t apologize for being rude.

Wouldn’t seem much point anyway from that statement.

Since you’ve tried everything, try this: Buy a new laptop.

I didn’t say I tried everything - I said I went through the usual movements - ie I tried to find any obvious physical defects or software driver errors. Trying to specifically locate the source (ie what Windows thinks is happening to warrant a beep) is fairly unusual would you not say?

If you don’t know how to do what I actually asked for then just say so - otherwise I don’t see what you’ve got to get so upset about over me saying what you’re giving me is not what I asked for.

Oh and the reason I want to be specific as to the cause is that I have already recently sent back the laptop for repair and although they did fix the power issues it had (replaced battery and mobo) they forgot about the CD-ROM also being screwed. Now when I send it back to fix the CD-ROM I don’t want to find when I receive it this is still happening even after they (presumably) replace the keyboard. Another two weeks of waiting would not be fun.

Given the details, I think we did our best. And as stated, not by me, your answers are a bit curt as if you expect to provide scant details and have a solution pulled out of someone’s ass. Are you in management?

Frankly, the “beeping” error is a bit ambigous. Expect ambiguous answers.

You say it’s “Windows” beeping. Is it a Windows tone you recognize or just a system beep? (Like a stuck key on the keyboard). In my experience, Windows doesn’t “beep.” It might “ding” or “chime,” but beeping sounds like a BIOS thing… like a short on the keyboard. Does it do this during boot, too? Since you had this fixed recently, did this problem manifest soon after the motherboard replacement?

Is it XP/W2K? Have you looked in the event logs? The logs are great for troubleshooting Windows problems.

Look at the system and application logs, in particualr. Do it right after it starts beeping and see if it’s notifying you of anything. If there’s nothing in the log, it’s probably not a Windows issue, so at least you know to focus on the hardware/bios.

Given the details, I think we did our best.

Yes but it wasn’t actually answering my request - because my ability to actually do anything about my laptop hardware is near to zero.

Are you in management?

:lol: No.

I’ve only seen the problem manifest during Windows sessions (I have Knoppix - linux on CD - which does not do this (at least not last time, I cannot get the damn CD to boot in my fuxored CDROM)). I only noticed the problem after reinstalling as I had muted the system beeper long ago. The problem then only manifested itself in the slowed system responsiveness I described - and that was long before I sent it for repair.

Does it do this during boot, too? Since you had this fixed recently, did this problem manifest soon after the motherboard replacement?

No, the motherboard is not responsible - the problem existed before. So it’s probably not the BIOS.

Is it XP/W2K? Have you looked in the event logs? The logs are great for troubleshooting Windows problems.

Nothing seemed likely in the logs - I saw no correlation between the times the beeps occured and any of the time stamps in the event logs.

I suspect there is probably a keyboard issue which is made worse by however it is Windows handles keyboard input - causing the slow down.