Trese Brothers Games (Star Traders: Frontiers and more)

To escape I just use abilities. I can know almost always leave combat if I want, heck the pilot level 10 ability is “skip the void” or something where you take damge but auto runaway, which is handy when you run into aliens.

My next actual ship upgrade after armoury was the cargo hold then the short range weapons that do extra damage effects. I figure more debuffs the oppo has the better :)

Wait, why are you apologizing to me? Is it not a roguelike and you’re playing it wrong, or are you calling me out for how I use the term? I’m very confused. Mainly because this game is in early access, so I won’t be playing it until it’s done.

But if it has the three P’s of modern roguelikes (Permadeath, Procedurally generated game world, and meta-Progression), I’m totally okay with you playing it like a roguelike.

-Tom

I didnt want to cause you angst. Now I feel I have. :(

Btw it wont be in Early Access for long. The stars await! :)

Templar Battleforce is a really cool game I mean to get back to, also because it can be played entirely with a trackpad since all its interface is based on left clicks.
Considering the somewhat low profiles of the brothers’ other games, what I am intrigued to know is why 1/4 my Steam friends list bought Star Traders: Frontiers on the day of its release!

I think the quantum leap in visuals from the previous games (as I remember them) makes them much more sellable with screenshots. It looks so much better. Is there a manual hidden somewhere? I tried it yesterday but could not figure out anything. What do all these symbols and icons mean, what are stats for what do skills do, why is the level of my credit important etc. I neither have the time nor inclination to figure this all out by myself right now. Never did to be honest, always have been an avid manual reader. So, anything like this out there? The game could use a proper tutorial or at least informative mousover popups for things.

If you go to the product page and click on “See manual”, it will take you to the Wiki. That’s all there is, I’m afraid.

Yeah, everybody has said that. They’ve said they’ll be adding it and more as EA goes along.

Is there a screen that keeps track of trading good prices / demand at the ports you visit, or am I going to have to break out pencil and paper to keep track of it like in the old days?

Wow, I didn’t know that. So basically, you get blacklisted in your home systems if you ignore the Prince? I wonder if that’s a design decision or a glitch. Doing one of his missions too early more or less ended my first game. Kept getting attacked by a hostile faction’s military ships since we were in a trade war with them.

I believe that as long as you do not actually accept a mission from the prince, you can just ignore him and go off and do other missions and then come back and accept it later whenever you want. At least that’s what I did. After you accept a mission the timer starts ticking to complete it on time and if you don’t you’ll get dinged for rep.

The game is designed to be played either as a sandbox or to complete the story, however you want to do it. If you want to just freelance it, then I’d suggest completing the initial mission to transport the Arbiter because that’s a quick, easy 10,000 credits. After that just don’t accept any offers from the prince and instead go off to other sectors and trade or do whatever you want. You can look at the missions the prince offers, just don’t accept any.

What does it mean to be “winning” a trade war or an alliance by x points?

Happily its not that bad, its just the Prince. His personal faction becomes -800 or whatever, your faction with the clan is not changed negatively.

Hmm. I THINK thats what I did, but maybe I just didnt even go talk to him after. I will try that netx character. Thanks!

I took a story mission that involved 4 hyper jumps there and back and boy I ended up in a lot of fights along the way. Since I didn’t get paid for anything on this one I went from about $45K to $6K by the end of it. I’m going to have to take some side mission for cash quick or I wont be able to pay my crew.

The hardest thing about the game for me is getting an understanding of where I stand in the various factions and what actions will do what to my rep with them. I wish they had a status screen just for that.

I found that as I progress further from the starting home system. The missions and encounters get harder. So even a lowish paying job 4 jumps away is dangerous.

They need a mission difficulty indicator.

Also: Their level up color scheme is so bad. Extremely difficult to pick up who can level up on the crew screen.

Yeah its terrible. I use the filter at the top so it only shows those crew members who are leveling up.

Any idea how the mechanics of replacing/upgrading of the ship works?

Do we get to transfer weapons and upgrades over or recover the cost of the old ship?

I’m saving for a new ship.

I saw on the forum they said no. You do get full value for the components when you sell your old ship though. Havent done it myself yet so I cant verify.

Yeah, they said they’re already working on fixing that. It may even be in the next patch. I use the filter like @Rod_Humble does to deal with that.

They said to make sure you save for all the new ship components too. They recommend upgrading your old ship before getting a new one.

I’ve been whining to the devs about the faction information available so they said they’ll be tweaking things there some to add more info on what causes your negative rep hits (maybe in the captain’s log) and make it all easier to read. They’ll also be tweaking the event log to be a full log so you can call it up and see all the stuff that’s scrolled off your screen. Once they do that and add all the missing tool tips, it should be a lot easier to tell what’s what.

If they can show us the jumps necessary for all the waypoints in the mission screen, that will be great. Like a mini-map or something.

I took a mission, after it ended I am like 11 jumps away from the starting point!

Edit: It is crucial that we take “reveal contacts” traits when we can. I opened up a lot of contacts just by visiting places. If not for those skills, it’ll be very difficult to recover when we are very far away from our contacts.

I’d like to say that this is a bit further away from being a functioning product than some have implied here, it’s very dense atm and hard to know what’s what other than having to click through walls of dull quest text

I’ve just saved up 630K! And is getting a hang of avoiding pissing people off.

Another couple of well paying missions and I’ll purchase a heavier ship that can contain a medical bay! As I had a leveled up doctor that have a trait that can allow me to provide medical services to low tech worlds. This may help me gain free reps! Yay!

Stick with it. It’s much deeper than it appears on the surface!

Edit: Once you and your officers have leveled up a fair bit, losing crews is not such a bad deal. Taking conservative choices and staying alive makes your key officers and captain really powerful. Even conservative choices like avoiding combat lets your crew gain XP.