Trese Brothers Games (Star Traders: Frontiers and more)

Also interested in this. I’d love to hear about longevity from others.

From what I recall, you can go with the defaults and focus on the officers. Each relevant skill just give you additional dice-rolls and/or options during events. So it’s good for officers to select professions that are not in your crew members. Other than that, the regular crew can go for the default picks.

Update 61 and counting. New ship hulls, 14 matching outfits for each gender and other goodies.

This series of Let’s Plays on YouTube by MintDragon are very helpful in learning the game mechanics and finer points. I’m enjoying his series, he knows the game (was an alpha tester) and he does not add extraneous blabber. I think I’m going to enjoy this game a lot for a long time.

Cheers.

Two more updates.

And this, "We keep getting questions about updates and whether or not they require a restart. We’ll keep working to broadcast this – but no update ever requires an restart. We would never release an update that invalidates anyone’s saved game – that would be terrible thing to do and completely unacceptable, EA or not. So, play on! "

This past week’s patch added auto train of talents, which helps immeasurably.

I’m at 51 hours of play time and still enjoying it. My commander, the merchant Fat Ass McCoy, is still traipsing around his starting quadrant, with about 100K in earnings. He avoids most battles and is busy doing missions and making (mostly legal) trades. I’m pretty invested in the story of my commander and his crew and have not yet tired of it.

25% off on Steam.

76th update released yesterday with this little nugget, “As we hone in on the end of the Early Access period.”

Much fun to be had here.

One thing I really like about Templar Battleforce is that the interface is single-click driven. Probably an artefact of the mobile origins of the brothers, but it makes the game incredibly easy to play with a single finger, which is sometimes a limitation I experience.
Anyway, I am curious to know if Star Traders is focused on the same single-click, select and tap ergonomics?

There is definitely right clicking in this one.

The only right clicking in this one that I have experienced is on the star map, to choose your next destination. Pretty sure everything else is left click only.

Seems like these would be excellent ipad games?

Yes that is planned also. I backed this on Kickstarter several years ago at a level that got me both the Steam and iOS versions for $25. It’ll be on Android as well. I think both mobile versions will come out when the PC version comes out of early access.

1.0 hits Wednesday. Not sure I can wait.

I love these guys! They just added save slots for non iron man games in their latest update today.

Busy bees.

“While the game is coming out of Early Access on Wednesday this week, it does not mean that the content and feature expansions are ending. We don’t plan to slow down or change direction. Exiting Early Access is a milestone on our larger roadmap indicating the game’s readiness, stability and completeness against the goals we laid out for EA. Once we transition out of EA, we will be publishing the Dev Roadmap, looking out into the next year.”

I have been quite frustrated because I bought the game early in the month, but haven’t been able to play it because the fonts are so freaking small on the Mac!
I thought it was tied to the size of the screen at first, but it happens whatever the screen size or resolution.
I contacted them about it two weeks ago and they said they will look into it, but it seems it must be quite a tricky issue as they haven’t been able to provide a fix yet.
I am guessing this game won’t see an iOS release before quite some time either, because of that.

This one seems like it has strong Chick Parabola potential. Immediate overload of “stuff” that you don’t understand gives the impression of a rich universe with lots to do. Seems like too much stuff to know what decisions to focus on, though. And I like making decisions. There are plenty of games I can play that are happy to communicate to me the significance of each decision, so I’ll go play those.

The first time I navigated my ship somewhere and that little crawl of nonsense in the lower-right corner got going made me laugh. Look at all these events given prominent interface real estate, with no indication of whether, or how much, I should care about each event, or what I should do in response to them.

Why would I read a wiki for a game that has no interest in revealing its systems to me, when I can spend that time playing a game that’s excited to tell me how to play?

(I’ll read a manual. But a wiki, written by players, is going to have spoilers. The developer-written “manual” is just a lore book. Ooh, look, the Bleep-Blorps are at war with the Ding-Dongs! Cannot… muster… interestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

That is great news! It was my only gripe about the game.

This bugged me too when I was playing it early-access months ago, but I assumed it was because it was an EA title. I thought they would add more tool tips or whatever as it got closer to release to explain itself better. It’s disappointing to hear that they never did, but I still liked other aspects of the game and will probably play it again this weekend.

They said early on they were adding tool tips to just about everything. Did they not?