Trials of Fire

That makes sense. I wish it had been explained in-game

Don’t forget, you can hover over almost anything and get some detailed info/tooltips.

They kind of hint at it since you have to choose a target every time you play a power, but yeah, this is one of those things that’s easy to miss and forget about once you even know it. I know I kept scratching my head at some powers for certain classes because it seemed worthless for that class, so when the lightbulb went off that I could pick those powers to use on OTHER characters, that was a pretty big deal.

Final battle got me in the water gem campaign. That enemy can do a lot of damage fast. This games a keeper. I almost bought the farm fighting a random encounter vs a giant worm. One of my guys went down, which has been very rare so far. It didn’t take long for me to get a bunch of duplicate events on the world map. That’s Ok as I experienced other new stuff - items, enemies.

I decided to try out Combat Run and got #9 on the leaderboard. Kinda fun being up there even if there are only 206+ scores on it. That dampened my excitement a bit :-) Time to put it down for a little while so I don’t burn out on it. Don’t want to ruin the fun with my compulsiveness!

Stupid bunch of jerks bumping this thread and talking about how awesome this game is…grrr.

I discarded 2 cards and wanted to redraw, the game said I couldn’t because my deck was empty. The battle lasted several more turns and each time I got the cards, where were they coming from if not my deck? And how to avoid this “empty deck“ status?
Despite this issue I managed to complete my first quest, the “Combat Run.”
Now I’ll try the Water Gem quest again.

Is it that you can redraw but can’t reshuffle your discard pile mid turn?

is this game more like Hearthstone or more like Slay the Spire? I love Slay the Spire, but feel indifferent against Hearthstone (by screeshots it could be both)

could be, if it happens again I will check if this is the explanation.

StS with RPG/CYA elements mixed in for good measure.

I’d say Slay the Spire, but I’m also getting Gloomhaven vibes (even though the mechanics are quite different)

To emphasize the answers others have provided, this game is almost nothing like Hearthstone, with the exception that both games feature cards played to produce effects. Slay the Spire meets Gloomhaven is an excellent summary, imo.

that sounds great. I’m in, this and Risk of Rain 2 will keep me busy this week.

Agree!

This game has definitely got a grip on me. Interesting decisions abound, although, ironically, level ups have not been among the most interesting. Tinkering with items/weapons is sooo well done. They have made camping great again.

If I have any reservations about the game whatsoever, it involves cards that, to me, have less than clear meanings. It’s not a prevalent as some of these deck builders (that’s why I generally avoid the genre) but just as an example: “Deal 2 damage to an enemy with no defense or 2 damage to a friendly within 1 space, gain 3 willpower.”

So what about this “within 1 space”? Does this apply to damaging the enemy or just the friendly?
And what does “1” mean? Normally, the word adjacent would be used, so is there some distinction?

Common sense tells me the card means “Deal 2 damage to an adjacent enemy with no defense or 2 damage to an adjacent friendly, gain 3 willpower.” But if that were actually the case, wouldn’t they have worded it this way? Making me avoid a possibly useful item/card because I don’t really know what it means.

But this is a small nitpick. Overall, the most entertaining game I have found in a very long time.

The “1” in the wording is likely due to the fact that it can be modified by upgrades and buffs.

I bought this at some point in Early Access when it was on sale and promptly didn’t touch it. Fired it up this morning and I like it a lot, though it’s a bit rougher around the edges than I expected based on some of the comments. Very curious to see where all of the unlocks go and how it holds up on the higher difficulties. (I started on Hard, died about halfway through my first campaign because I did something quite dumb, and then won my second, though not with much room to spare. Also, I liked the one class that I unlocked from that first failure much better than the Hunter.)

Oh, and if anything, this reminds me quite strongly of For the King. Not the combat, obviously, but the structure of the campaign, map, quests, items, etc shares a very similar sensibility.

I’m amazed at the variety of interesting enemies. And when I went back to replay the initial scenario, I found it played out very differently.

Even just different mixes of a couple enemy types can play out way differently. Fight a group of almost all ranged or magic enemies is way different from facing a group with three melee enemies and one ranged.

Holy assbutts, Lurker is some bullshit.