Trials of Fire

Thanks guys. Gave me some ideas to chew on tonight. I definitely find the Warlord dead weight as well, but some people swear by them. more research required I guess =)

I like the Elemental / Warlord / Assassin combo. Assassin does most of the damage most of the time, the other two can both do some tanking as well as switch in to heavier magic or melee damage mixes for specific encounters. (I have played almost exclusively on hard from day 1, and I’m probably done for a while at this point, after 30+ hours and no regrets.)

Is there a way to customize your starting deck once you unlock cards, or is it always the same?

I am not as good as most of you (I finally finished all of the main quests last night), but I mostly run Warrior / Assassin / Witch. Assassin does a ton of damage, the power that lets another character get sneak when the assassin does powers up the warrior nicely, and Dominate is one of the best things you can do in a boss encounter for 1 willpower.

Not really, though you can change each character’s starting weapon which changes one of their cards.

Is there any way to tell how difficult a side quest is going to be? Most times they’re trivial or at worst manageable, but I just had a very successful God Hunt run stopped cold by a side quest that was preposterously overpowered relative to everything else I’d fought including all the bosses - it was just a massive, heavily armored hybrid group that stomped me flat.

Some encounters have an exclamation point or something, but I don’t recall being able to tell for a side quest.

Yeah, I certainly didn’t see anything that indicated a problem. I don’t think it even said “hard battle” which can be a tipoff. That’s two cases of getting screwed by the RNG in the same run - it puts me off a bit.

I’ve played a lot of games in this and don’t recall feeling I was thrown an unfair encounter (not saying you haven’t). I think there was an encounter I did before I knew what the exclamation point was, or maybe they added the exclamation point later, where I hit the giant worm thing and it wrecked me and killed an otherwise successful run. But that I think was just an encounter on the map and not a side quest.

Wait, do you mean the exclamation point on the map? Isn’t that just “sidequest ends here?” Or… oh hell, did I actually voluntarily walk into a hard encounter that didn’t relate? Because doesn’t the “side quest” marker just turn vertical when you get there, like the main quest map? Dammit, this is what I get for playing at 1 am, but yeah, I think I mistook the exclamation point for the quest marker.

Well, that at least restores some confidence in the fairness of the game. I just hadn’t run into that before. Thanks.

I am on day 23 of my first Endless Run and at the point of having a team with almost full decks of upgraded cards and blue, purple or legendary equipment loadouts. So far, so excellent, and yet . . .

I am wondering, what is it that causes endless runs to end? At present I am just completing quest legs as quickly as possible, which means going from boss fight to boss fight as quickly as possible too. If I cared about end-scoring, would I be better off taking on as many other battles as possible? Is it time passed that drives up difficulty, or is it quest legs completed, or both, or something else?

Also wondering whether I can kill all the different types of dragon before I fail . . . . :-)

Sounds like a great run! I don’t know the answer to either question. I did the same as you eventually, just trying to the next boss. I’ve seen both better and worse scores with a greater amount of days.

Lao Tzu ova heah

Huh, well I found an answer pretty quick after beginning play today. The answer is “two Green dragons that dissolve your heroes into bubbling puddles of acid within a few short turns of battle”

There may be other answers . . .

I’m finding this game quite challenging.

On my 5th attempt I managed to get the Necromancer down to 10 health, but then he flew away (as in the card said “fly”) and I couldn’t get to him as he blocked the path with minions.

Ugh.

Seems the best thing to do is grind away on other fights before confronting the necromancer?

Also, it is very counter intuitive to me right now to not be able to move counters on a board without using the cards, although this is the exact same mechanic as in Mage Knight (even burning cards for movement) so I shouldn’t be struggling quite this much.

Other than that, I’m slowly starting to grow how things work and what tactics work well.

Yeah, I haven’t been playing lately (blame Caster of Magic for Windows) but I thought this was a very good game, but quite challenging. I always came back to the same answer, the archer, or whatever he is called. Without that character I couldn’t get anywhere.

But far and away my favorite from that genre of games.

Just tried this game again. Killed the boss on my first run, it was the Sun Priest? (does 7 damage every 3 turn to the nearest hero). Gameplay was slightly weird at first but once I realized card advantage was the key I made short work of the last 2 bosses.

Quick question. Is there any gameplay reason to try the other adventures?

The boss encounters are different and some of them have slightly different quest structures. Other than that, the big difference is in choosing the length of adventure you’d like. I also believe that one of the classes requires you to beat a certain number of different adventures in order to unlock it.

Thanks for the response. I ended up playing a bunch more and really liking how everything integrated together. Just finished Cat V. I guess no one is playing for score anymore?
Add me if anyone is still playing
https://steamcommunity.com/id/hereafter/

Finally. Finish Cataclysm 10. That was ride. Took me forever to beat 7 as I was still trying understand the mechanics. The difficulty curve in this game is pretty good. Every new level forces you to do some reassessment of your deckbuilding, pathing, or tactical play. I would definitely recommend pushing difficulty in this game.

Ended up in the top 80 for score too.

trial top80