Trouble getting G-Sync to work

So, I got my new Alienware computer with a RTX 3080. The monitor is a Gigabyte M27Q, which by all info is G-SYNC compatible. I’m using the DVI cable between the video card and the monitor. I went into the monitor settings and enabled AMD FreeSync Premium (only FreeSync / G-Sync option). In the NVidia control panel I enabled G-Sync for the monitor.

When I use the monitor’s on screen display, the frame rate always says 60, both in the game and out. The Steam frame rate counter goes above 60 and changes, but I assume that is just the number of frames being rendered by the video card and doesn’t have anything to do with the monitor.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

My monitor a Dell will not do any of the fancy features unless the HDR setting is turned on with the monitor. (There is an actual setting you turn on and off on the actual monitor) So for example if I load my Xbox and don’t have HDR on and went to configure features it has a ton of the options turned off like VRR. Doubt it’s that, but will take two seconds to check.

Did you set the monitor to run at >60Hz in Windows? If not, games will be capped at 60Hz except when running in exclusive full-screen, which many don’t support these days.

For G-Sync/Free-Sync, I think you need to use a DisplayPort cable, not DVI. Maybe an HDMI cable will work but I’m not certain.

Bingo. It defaulted to 60Hz and was hidden in the advanced settings so I didn’t notice it when I changed the resolution. Thanks!

Thanks for the attempt @Octavious230 I appreciate it.

Speaking of HDR is it worth enabling in Windows and in games on PC, or doesn’t it really enhance much? I think in reviews the knock against this monitor was lackluster HDR support.

I think I used the incorrect terminology. I am connected using DisplayPort.

Happy to help.

With just HDR400 and no real local dimming you’re probably better just leaving HDR off, but certainly give it a shot.

It is a huge enhancement, if the game supports it well and your screen can handle it.

For example, the recent Assassin’s Creed games have fantastic HDR on the LG TV that my PC connects to for couch gaming.

Get rid of dvi and go with DisplayPort.

——-

Oops sorry just caught you already did.