True Christmas

If this post seems emotional I apologize in advance. It’s been a hard day.

Today I closed the doors on my business and put 34 people including myself into unemployment. I wish this was only a worry of the ‘big auto’ or other massive companies that stalk the P&R forum but it is becoming an increasingly popular topic in my neighborhood and with my business associates and as my accountant put it “Isn’t it about time you gave up?”.

I had been operating from my profits in the first 2 quarters as we tried to weather this storm of credit freeze, consumer panic and massive corporate downsizing and today we finally had to say enough was enough and 15 days before Christmas I told everyone that I could not keep them employed and I wished there was more money to give them.

I can only say that you find the true character of the people who you are around when the times become truly tough. My family, friends, and co-workers are made of solid gold. I couldn’t have asked for a better bunch of people to share the last 4 years of prosperity with. True Christmas, the feeling of family, charity, understanding and love came early to me this year as each of my former employees understood.

I cannot express how grateful and sorry I am that I could have had more foresight to better take care of the responsibility of their carreer and I don’t deserve such a great Christmas.

I hope if any of you are going through or will in the coming months (or years?) what I have done today will know the appreciation of kindness. I hope that everyone here has a great Christmas and I am thankful for whatever laughter that QT3 has brought to me over the years.

Thank you.

I’m sorry to hear that. I have friends who are also sole proprietors, and they’ve been spending the last couple of years just barely treading water, whilst shedding most of their employees. And they had nowhere near as many as you.

Hopefully, they all understand where you’re coming from, and don’t harbor any ill will, but it sounds like they get it.

I appreciate that Jack. I’m sorry you are having to go through all this. I wish you and the people around you the best in the future.

Jack, I’m saddened to hear about the loss of your business. These times are tough for many, but I hope QT3 continues to provide you enjoyment and a group to share your experiences with. In reference to your employees and Christmas spirit, a small quote from Washington Irving …

“An inexhaustible good nature is one of the most precious gifts of heaven, spreading itself like oil over the troubled sea of thought, and keeping the mind smooth and equable in the roughest weather.”

I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas.

Sorry to hear about your temporary setback, Jack.

Hopefully you’ll weather the storm and come out even better in the long run.

Wow. I’m sorry, Jack. 34 employees is a good sized business too. I’m sure you looked into downsizing and found it unfeasible. I hope you get back on your feet soon; sounds like you have a great support system, which will help in the coming months (or however long it takes). Good luck to you.