True Detective - HBO (2014)

This eight hour mini starts tonight on HBO. Woody Harrelson. Matthew McConaughey. Be there.

— Alan

My DVR will be there. This should be good.

Can’t wait to watch this! It looks so damn good.

Yeah this looks great, also not too long and heavy, sometimes a 20 odd part series can be too much. Im liking these shorter experiences.

Indeed - The plan is still for several seasons, but with new stories and actors in each season, which is kinda neat.

I thought they were going the AHS route with a fixed troupe of actors but the stories and characters change each season.

That may be - They have just said that each season will feature a different cast of characters and story.

Thought this was fantastic last night.

The opening episode was sterling.

This could become my new favorite show if the premiere was any indication of the acting and writing to come. Pitch perfect crime drama/thriller.

Watched this tonight and I loved it.

If anyone enjoys this show and hasn’t watched Hannibal yet, check Hannibal out. Extremely similar tone/texture, and two magnetic performances from the leads.

I love Hannibal. A lot. But in one episode, True Detective overtook it as my favorite show in this genre. But having two great shows like this is something I will never complain about. :)

Hannibal is creepy, but it’s damn near over the top. It’s a show that’s always on the verge of collapsing on itself because they have to keep this juggling act between having ever-escalating levels of nightmarish serial killers on top of having Hannibal Lecter manipulating the same group of characters week after week.

Both are over the top – fortunately, I think. These kinds of stories are take such grim subject matter you need some kind of release; absent the dark humor of Hannibal, purple batshit monologues about our gutter world will get it done.

We watched this last night and absolutely loved it. The look Woody Harrrelson got on his face every time Matthew McConaughey said something esoteric was hilarious.

So yeah. Based off the first episode, it’s Angel Heart updated to 2012. That dog will hunt.

I need to use the phrase “I’m talkin’ ‘duck hunting with a rake’ crazy” at some point this week.

so fucking great, this is what I want… just remove all the crap from my thousand channels and distill it down to this. Brilliant casting (obviously), and fantastic writing. Full on robot chubber.

About twenty minutes in I went from nervous to bored. I’d been looking forward to it, and all the slow music and drawling just made it feel like all mood and no cattle, like somebody saw Seven and tried to Malick it or something. Then we sink in to the second half of the show and it becomes clear that this is primarily going to be the portrait of a relationship. I particularly love the layers of time.

I’m excited to see where this goes.

-xtien

“Baby, trust me. You do not want to pick this man’s brain.”