True Detective - HBO (2014)

I’m partial to the exchange between Rust and Marty after interviewing the senile old lady -

“Sure hope she’s wrong.”
“About what?”
“About death not being the end of things.”

I thought it was, “Relax, she’s wrong,” another echo of Ligotti.

I couldn’t quite make out the old lady’s rant in that scene. What was she kvetching about?

I think the loss of his daughter is a large part of the reason Cohle is so driven on this case so I suspect his response to the woman who killed four of her children was not intended as a kindness.

I suspect this will be the finale’s gut punch. Given Marty’s reactions to what they found at LeDoux’s and to the tape this week, I think he’s in for a bad time in the finale :( The detective’s curse – The answers have been right under his nose the whole time.

Help me out here.

When the series starts, Cohle and Hart are being interviewed because Gilbough and Papania are working a similar, ritual murder case. “The Lake Charles murder”, as they refer to it.

Do we know when the Lake Charles murder happened? Is it something really, really recent to the interviews?

just in case

[spoiler]Like…have they identified the body and notified next of kin on that? They mention they kept “details out of the paper”, but I’m unclear a bit on the timeline here…

…but, Maggie’s comments about Audrey seem to suggest they haven’t talked for a few days, and I’m not sure that Hart has seen the crime scene photo of the dead girl all trussed up in the Lake Charles case…

Is it possible that they’re unwittingly investigating the murder of Hart’s daughter here?[/spoiler]

EDIT: Never mind the spoiler, it is a non-starter, as PM and Oghier point out.

I suppose it’s possible that Hart’s daughter will never be connected with the main plot. Much of the show is about abuse of women and children, and Monaghan’s character made the point several times that his absence has affected the family, so perhaps it’s just another form of mistreatment. But that doesn’t explain the artwork in their home. I hope they don’t leave Chekov’s Fingerpaints unexplained (they’re both linked upthread).

I, too, think he’s in for a very rough time in the finale. He and Cohl may already be at some point of no return – I can’t see how the situation on the boat resolves without disposing of a high-profile body. We already know Cohl’s plans for the future. I don’t see Hart living happily ever after, either.

EDIT: I think Triggercut nailed it, under the spoiler tag above. This is going to get ugly.

EDIT 2: Looks like the name on the Lake Charles victim’s file was “Stephanie Kordish”

But hang on, didn’t Gilbough and Papania confront Cohle with photographs of him at the scene of the crime? Cohle at least should know who the victim was.

Yep, you are correct. I’m only up to episode 3 on my rewatch, so good catch Pogue!

I don’t see the daughter connection. I’m sure there could be some repercussions for Hart, but I’m not sure they’ll be to that extent. That’s a bit coincidental too. I think he’ll be the one left when all is said and done, and he’ll be left standing. My guess for Cohle is that he’s got some disease (cancer? HIV?) and will end his life after he ends this case.

Edit to add a conspiracy theory: Is there a possibility that Hart says his goodbyes to Maggie because he know he’s going to try to get (arrest or kill) her father? Maybe he saw him in the video.

I still think the daughter will be invovled, maybe something that happened in the past will come to light. I haven’t started my rewatch yet, but wasn’t there a bit in the second episode where the daughter basically reenacted what Marty saw on that video with her Barbie dolls?

That’s a little too close to the mark for it to mean nothing.

EDIT: I found the picture online. One naked female barbie on the ground with her legs open surrounded by five clothed ken dolls, one of which on his knees in front of the naked female barbie.

That setup is also similar to Rust’s little beer can cutouts during his interview with the other detectives. At that point he’d seen the video.

I think Hart’s daughter gets murdered by the group in the final episode. I hope not but I won’t be surprised if it happens.

The five dolls posed around the naked barbie are dressed very specifically as well.

I think that maybe it’s just a symbolic thing and a way to precursor Marty’s reaction later on this the series to this kind of thing. While it certainly seems like this could be a setup for the daughter being involved, at the same time it feels like it’d be too much of a plot conceit to have her involved.

— Alan

Looks like we can all hang up our theories - I think this guy has solved the riddle of the Yellow King.

Okay, that made me laugh out loud more than once. :)

I think he might be onto something.

Talk about the detective’s curse!

I noticed in episode 3 when Marty is flipping through the “obscene” drawings his daughter made, one of the men either has a beard, or facial scars consistent with the spaghetti monster/lawnmower man. I’m still of the opinion that these little details could just as likely be motifs as actual clues, but I didn’t remember anyone specifically mentioning that one yet.

I also keep getting a weird vibe about Rust when he’s around Marty’s family. Most obviously, that he gets plastered before their first dinner. But also at that dinner, and again when Rust is at the house after mowing the lawn, there are shots of the daughters whispering and giggling to each other, maybe about Rust, just as likely about nothing at all. But these are the things that stick out to me when maybe I’ve had more than my share of Lone Stars as I rewatch it.

Rustin explains that himself, when talking to the modern day detectives:

Anyway that evening, it wasn’t even sundown, he decided it was a good time to invite me over for dinner… which I got a problem with, right? cause I’m thinkin’ about Marty’s wife and his two kids and how it’s my daughter’s birthday and I know there’s nothing I can do about it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but… I’m gonna have a drink.

I think everyone finds Rust a little odd, but not in a creepy, sexual predator way.

I also thought Rust mentioned something about that dinner coincidentally being the anniversary of his own daughter’s death, which is why he got really drunk.