True Detective - HBO (2014)

Yeah, he does give that explanation. But when I’m in the mindset to try to read into every detail, that stands out as maybe having something more to it.

Started my rewatch last night (it’s amazing how much they pack into the first episode! “this did not happen in a vacuum;” the fontaine girl; drawing of the spaghetti monster; childress; dora’s husband saying “she met a king;” the long reach of the tuttle family; the creepy white haired cop in uniform who brings in the task force; billboards with missing girls; references to the “kids we brought out of the woods;” and on and on and on, you could watch that episode a dozen times and still get stuff) and I got that same creepy feeling when Rust is around Marty’s family…

I mean, I’m pretty convinced at this point Rust had nothing to do with the murders, but fuck if he doesn’t creep me out in a way he didn’t on the first pass.

Also, anyone else find it a bizarre coincidence that they find the crime scene on the birthday of Rust’s daughter? I mean…WTF?

And I know i’m down the rabbit hole now, deep down it, but those damn barbies…if you look closely one of them looks EXACTLY like Rust, and another one looks like the spitting image of Marty. Even down to their hair styles. It creeped me the fuck out.

EDIT: one final thing from the first episode that REALLY creeped me out, when asked by Marty if he was christian, and Rust said that he was not, and then Marty asked about the cross in his apartment Rust says “That’s a form of meditation…I contemplate the moment in the garden, the idea of allowing your own crucifixion.”

He later says in that same conversation: “I don’t have the constitution for suicide.”

He can’t be the murderer, but still, what initially came off as cool and dark, now comes off as cool, dark, and creeeeeepy.

Apologies if this was linked before, but The Soup takes on TD…

I’ve seen every episode twice now, and pretty much written off most of the shocking-twist style theories. I still have a little trouble keeping track of some of the characters though. When we’re jumping between three different time periods, and following up on connections to three different victims (Dora Lange, Marie Fontenot, and the girl they rescued when they killed Reggie and DeWall), it’s easy to lose track of the details, so there’s certainly still room for me to miss stuff.

Eh, do people really have a hard time understanding the actual dialog? The accents don’t strike me as particularly tricky.

And that’s consistent with what Pizzolatto has been saying in pretty much every interview, that this was pretty much all laid out in the first episode. No doubt it will be dramatic and intense, but probably nothing out of left field. If he’s not playing us.

Matthew McConaughey has more than a few parts where he waxes philosophical and when he does his voice gets low and soft and it’s hard for me to make out everything he says. I understand the accent just fine. Ha, maybe I just need to get my hearing checked.

That’s just you getting old. Hearing aid is next! Or maybe a hearing cone.

So…

People complained about the end of The Sopranos, but at least Tony didn’t give up mob life to become a social worker.

Brief, not too specific impressions of the finale, but I wouldn’t want to read this if I hadn’t seen it yet:

"

I think I loved it, but I’m going to need to rewatch it and think about it for a while. First impression though is that I really liked that the finale could surprise me, while not throwing any surprises or twists into the actual case. I suspect that what they did with Rust will be divisive though.

And I loved the end of The Sopranos, though it has no relation to this conversation beyond being an ending people talked about. Not criticizing you for bringing it up Oghier, just being clear that’s not a spoiler.

Underwhelming finale. Still a good show.

The finale was… unexpected. I have to go re-watch the season start to finish at some point, but for the moment I’m very happy with it as a whole. I’d almost certainly put it up there as one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long time.

I love the idea of a hearing cone. Folks could watch me go by and they’d say, “Yup, thar goes old coney!”

Parts of the final conversation seemed pretty Top Ten #8 to me.

I quite liked that ending, although (or because?) it didn’t really go anywhere I expected it to. I think the problem with a show like this is that it throws out ideas like a fighter jet kicking out chaff, and every person latches on to the piece of info that catches their fancy. I would have been intrigued by the show going into dark elder god territory, but I’m enough of a noir fiend that the basic mystery, if you can call it that, held me through the duration. But pretty early on I picked up on the fact that it was just Cohle and Hart, and nobody else really matters by comparison. Fortunately they were interesting enough that it didn’t matter. I may need to pick this one up on blu-ray someday, I think it probably merits at least one more rewatch.

Fantastic finale, wasn’t particularly surprising to anyone who’s paid attention to what the show has been trying to do (and to what Nick Pizzolatto has been trying to say in interviews). As suspected, a lot of the “clues” in the show were simply motif, and as such worked as an excellent narrative device.

Brilliant, self-contained TV series are to be cherished. This is one.

If they had done ANYTHING supernatural, it would’ve been a massive, massive mistake.

That’s cheap, unimaginative writing and filmmaking.

In the end, the killer was pretty creepy. But he didn’t really matter. He wasn’t even the destination. The journey was all about Rusty Cohle and Marty Hart, and their sundering and rapprochement was the destination. The killer wasn’t even the plot – he was at best, a plot device.

A fascinating character piece. I have my doubts that the writer/show runner has this in him again to produce something of the same high quality – and I am extremely doubtful that the next actors will be able to fill those shoes… but

I’ll tune in for Season 2 and hope I’m DEAD wrong.

Agree completely. No idea how they even can come close to this next season, whenever that is…but I’ll sure be wanting to see it!

I loved the series. It was one of the best things I have seen on television, and I will be on the lookout for whatever Mr Pizolatto does next.

However… (spoilers)

Was nobody else bothered by the last 30 seconds? Cohl’s entire outlook on the universe appears to change. He went from “we’re just sentient meat puppets” straight to “there’s this awesome afterlife and my daughter and everyone I love are waiting for me!” He was this fantastic, dark wierdo for most of the series. Then, they pull him back into the community. He and Hart are getting along like two cops in any buddy movie, and he’s now all set to go to heaven.

Loved the series. Hated the last 30 seconds.