True Detective - HBO (2014)

Not “returning”, he didn’t do anything in the first season, did he?

I heard a really cool podcast on RadioLab recently that talked about one of the inspirations for True Detective, a book called “In the Dust of This Planet”, which seems to be the basis for all of Rust’s philosophy. Check it out here.

I listened to that last week. Awesome stuff (though not as science-y as usual). I can’t remember if they mentioned the other big influence- Thomas Ligotti’s “The Conspiracy Against the Human Race”.

I though I heard Elizabeth Moss tossed around as starring this season, too? Did they announce any female stars?

She apparently is on board. None of the other female stars have been cast yet; some are supposedly in the lead after doing their read-throughs and others are still being sought after. Have come a bit of a far way, with the announcement of Vaughn, Farrell and probably Taylor Kitsch from what I hear, from all the talk that the leads were going to be all female.

— Alan

Miss Moss was great in the BBC Mini-Series, Top of the Lake.

Recommended for anyone that enjoyed TD, but it may be a bit harsh for some.

Finally got a chance to watch this. I binge watched it over 4 days, which is a great way to see this show. I thought it was excellent. I went into it with zero knowledge of the shows direction and didnt read any spoilers or internet bs on the series while I was watching it. McConahey and Harrelson were excellent in their roles. I was afraid part way through, what with all the minor clues point in that direction, that this was going to take a turn into the supernatural. In the end if they had I think it would have severely diminished what the story really was, a character study. Anyway its all been said before so Ill just say Im looking forward to see what they have in store for season 2. One last thing. 8 hours of film time is an excellent format for this kind of show. Enough to give it depth of character without getting too bloated with filler. We americans like our 22 episode series but a short run series can pack quite a punch when done right.

Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn? The fuck.

Always hated Vince Vaughn, I guess now is his time to shine. Farrell can act imho but I guess I let him slide mostly because of “In Bruges”.

I feel the same way about those two. Colin Farrell really surprised me in “In Bruges”. And Vince Vaughn I always used to hate until I recently saw “The Internship”. It was the first Vince Vaughn movie I really enjoyed, and I love that he actually plays a very competent and smart guy in that movie.

I’m not feeling you on the internship, but he wasn’t terrible in “Delivery Man”.

I love Vince Vaughn! Colin Farrell…not so much. Back to VV, I don’t think I have ever seen him in anything other than a comedic role. I thought he was hilarious in Couples Retreat.

Assuming the casting director hasn’t changed, why would anybody have reservations about the new actors? They clearly got vetted by somebody who knows what they’re doing.

I have not seen Delivery Man or Couples Retreat. After the Internship turned me around on him, I guess I’ll have to keep my eye out for those.

Like Colin Farrell and think he could do a good job…I don’t like Kitsch at all…Vaughn as a career criminal…he was good in an older movie, cant remember the name, he was a single dad or step dad, out in the country…did well in that one…other than that, cant stand him.

A Streetcar Named Cthulhu

Vaughn in a white undershirt standing on a street corner and yelling “CTHULHU” up at an apartment building window would be a great scene.

Can’t wait for the new season.

That would be awesome. Two bigoted lunatics, but they have one more crime to solve.

I just rewatched this with my dad (who hasn’t seen it before). Right up until half way through episode 7 he was convinced hart was going to turn out to be the killer. His rationale:

• the show was throwing distractionary suspicion on rust. I put this reason to his vast experience in murder mystery shows. He was expecting the standard turn-it-around plot twist.

• it’s why hart wouldn’t run back to the car to call in the ledoux house in case rust runs in alone.

• it’s why he shoots ledoux, to not allow him to tell police of his involvement.

• why his daughter draws creepy things.

• why he gets his gun out when reuniting with rust. The news that Rust was still investigating the case meant he had to kill him.

Obviously we know there are rational explanations for all these, but I never saw it that way. It goes to show how the show can be taken in different ways, and also how speculation can easily lead to misplaced suspicion in investigations.

One of the reasons I know the world is light and not dark is that many good men spend enormous amounts of time hunting down individual bad men but no bad men spend that same amount of time hunting down good men. Bad men will always be hunted by the well intentioned but flawed. I think Rust was projecting this idea with beauty in his final monologue. It also ties in with his earlier comments about needing to resolve this before he moves onto something else. That something else in his mind is forgiving himself for his parental responsibility for his daughter’s death. Catching the killer that interrupted his daugher’s birthday is the symbolic gesture he needed to move on and not be so nihilist all the time. He’s ready to put his worldview aside and reset to when he was happier.

Probably not coming back: http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/true-detective-season-three-nic-pizzolatto.html?mid=twitter_vulture