Trump 2024

Yeah, I watched the first 40 minutes or so. It should have been 30 minutes, but ended up rambling on for too long. It looks like his main campaign points will be pretty much the same as they were 8 years ago.

Also, get ready for a lot of manufactured nostalgia for his last presidential term. Because of course Trump was the best president of all time!

You live a life of relentless criminality and lawlessness…you try to overthrow the Constitution and install yourself as an unelected dictator in an election you lost by 8 million votes merely because your pathetic ego can’t abide losing…you are a proven incompetent and loser at every single thing you have attempted in your shitty life…and you are likely the presidential nominee for one of the two viable political parties. That is, if you live long enough, which is doubtful.

What a fucking country.

That’s pretty much the US in a nutshell, for better or worse.

I’ve been wondering if Trump really has a shot if Foxnews truly decides to ignore him.

In my mind, the main reason why Trump won in 2016, despite being so terrible, was because the breathless reporting that followed him around for every thing he did or said. Most of the conservative base will just vote whatever the narrative tells them to. If Trump is not that narrative, what chance does he have apart from the true MAGA cultists?

Trump’s chances of being the nominee are better than his chances of winning the general IMO. If the Republicans do what they did last time — run a large number of primary candidates who split the vote so that he gets the largest block from his diehard supporters — then he will be the nominee. If instead they consolidate around one alternative, Trump will lose the nomination fight.

And if he is the nominee, the media will come back and Fox News will support him and most of the GOP establishment, official and otherwise, will do so as well. They’ll back whoever wins the nomination.

A periodic reminder: a narcissist derives power from the attention – good or bad – that is paid to him.

And our outrage will never “shame” his followers. The outrage is the point. It is what fuels them. As much as is practicable, I try to deny them that fuel.

Hahahaha. This is how the NY Post covered the announcement - with this story on page 26.

FLORIDA MAN MAKES ANNOUNCEMENT

I was like, “Telefrog, I think you’ve been duped, sir.”

But no! I am corrected in that thinking. And amused.

(It is fairly prominent on their website front page, but even then it’s…a fairly antagonistic take. Rupert may be serious this time.)

I really wasn’t going to click on any story about this bullshit this morning, but it’s really hard. The first news story when I opened my phone was Daniel Dale’s fact checking article on CNN, and I couldn’t resist reading it. And as I finished reading it, I realized: Man, I so do NOT miss this bullshit. Good on Dale, as always, with the fantastic fact-checking, but what a waste of everyone’s collective time and attention and collective consciousness.

I’ll really try to ignore all stories about The Florida Fondler from now on.

Thankfully, as a candidate I can ignore him. As a President… well, that seemed more to me like just sticking my head in the sand, since he had actual power to affect the country and people’s lives.

Hopefully I’ll be able to ignore him up until (and if) he wins the nomination, at the very least. It can be hard, though, particularly when you’re surrounded by Trumpmuppets who repeat everything he says.

This never gets old, and should be reposted daily if not more often.

I love it. If only we could get all outlets to cover Trump this way from now on.

This strongly aligns with my views on the matter.

About that first story: “In for a penny, in for a pound,” and, to go back to the NYC connection, “Now you’se CAN’T leave.”*

*Name the movie for extra points.

Breach?

Maybe it’s in there too (don’t even know that one) but not the one I was thinking of. IIRC the line was delivered by Chazz Palmintieri.

Ah, no, sorry, just making a joke. There was a string of time (years back, now that I think of it) where Breach became the go-to joke guess in the 20:20 Frame Game thread.

Ah, gotcha. I don’t know how you guys would come up with your guesses in that thread BTW. Some people apparently have eidetic* memory for game box art. As to the line from the movie, it immediately precedes a rather violent scene.

*is that the word?