Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

I believe that his charter actually makes it impossible for Trump to fire him at this point. I forget exactly why, but I recall reading something about that.

Mueller can be fired by the AG (or Deputy AG, in this case) for a number of reasons. However, the argument is that when push comes to shove in a legal manner, Trump’s powers technically … trump the charter. But IANAL, so take this all with a grain of salt.

True, as noted elsewhere the “special council” process exists only as Justice Department procedures, not in the law. So Trump could just order Justice to eliminate those procedures, and the foundation for Mueller’s whole investigation disappears. That would of course be transparent obstruction, but unless congress is willing to step in, that doesn’t matter.

Towards the end of the hearing, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) asked Coats if he discussed with National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers — who was also reported by the Washington Post to have received a request from Trump to push back on the Russia probe — efforts by Trump to “stifle” the investigation.

After a long silence, Coats dodged the question.

“That is something that, I, um would like to withhold, that question at this particular time,” he said.

Don’t want to read much into it, but if that answer was a negative I would think you would just flat out state it.

The Lieberman trial balloon seems to have deflated.

No one with integrity wants to work for Trump.(and no, I wouldn’t put Lieberman on that list)

Wow, that’s uh … yeah.

Getting a little too meta for me. Next we’ll find out that Russia planted documents to investigate the Justice Department investigation into the Russian documents that were used to influence the FBI investigation into the documents Russia planted to swing the election to Trump.

NYT editor…

“Innovation & Workshops Editor”

I’m not really familiar with that post.

Politico DC reporter retweeted him, so I’m going on faith.

Hey look, George agrees with you:

[quote=The Washington Post] Comey said that he had spoken with the heads of the congressional intelligence committees about the document privately but that it was too sensitive to discuss it in public.

“The subject is classified, and in an appropriate forum I’d be happy to brief you on it,” he told the Senate Judiciary Committee. “But I can’t do it in an open hearing.”

No such briefing occurred before he was fired.[/quote]
I love how the national security state has found new purpose since the Cold War ended, and now works to protect the secrets of Russian intelligence from falling into the hands of ordinary Americans.

also for finding seeecret illegals
(ignore the video)

You raise a really good point.
I think the public would have been better served by knowing that account (Russians planting a fake email to frame a USAG) than a sanctimonious speech about email server management. And it’s not like the FBI didn’t have time to investigate it, they had it in their possession since March 2016. Some of the principals were not even contacted until asked for comment by the WaPo reporters over a year later. Stunning, actually.

Comey cleared to testify publicly. Should be an interesting day for both sides.

By interesting you mean watching the Dems drill him on obstruction of justice related questions. And the GOP will ask over and over about leakers.

Comey to publicly testify Thursday, June 8th, Senate Intelligence Committee.

EDIT: Putting it officially on the calendar means we will see if Executive Privilege is wielded as early as this week.

Then a week or so later Tom announces his like decision. It’s like Christmas in June!

I really need to get a life