Trump Fires FBI Director Comey

“We would prefer not to cause the avoidable deaths of millions of women, African-Americans, Latinos, Muslims, LGBTQs, and other various minorities and vulnerable persons. Also we probably won’t fuck up your schools too bad.”

I can’t believe he’ll fire Mueller. This would be an insane move. Isn’t this just more rumours? Worry about it if it happens.

It’s just a discussion. I don’t think anyone is “worrying” about it.

Or get angry about it!

Trump surrogates are on TV explaining how he has to fire Mueller, because of a conflict of interest since he knows Comey. I damn well am worrying about it.

Okay.

This would be a bigger deal than him firing Comey, and that has probably caused him no end of grief. It would be a huge mistake on his part.

So, on a scale from covfefe to bragging to Russians about firing Comey to relieve pressure?

He has been making mistakes most of his life. Hasn’t stopped him yet.

We can hope, right? All that needs to happen is for Rosenstein to refuse, be fired, and the whole Nixon speed-run gets back on track.

Someone pointed out it’s probably trump trolling. Which really is a reasonable theory.

But this started yesterday with one of his lawyers and the far right idiots (Newt and some others) starting pounding on it.
Now this ‘trial balloon.’

Oh he’ll do it, because who is going to stop him if he does?

The problem is the chuckle fucks in the media can’t be deigned to cover policy or anything complicated. There’s no easy fix for those being ‘left behind’ by automation and globalization; nor is climate change or terrorism solved in with a tweet. If the media can’t find a digestible sound bite we get “but her emails” all over again. (Not directed at you Misguided, I’m just pissed.)

He was also advised not to fire Comey.

Yep. And a hundred other stupid things that he did anyway.

Nah, it’s totally cool. Hell I’ve been green rage monster angry for months, mostly because it feels like there’s nothing we can do about it. But being angry, by itself, won’t do much to make us feel better, now will it change the situation.

I take out on the demonspawn of Diablo 3. If only they could mod Trump’s face on the Butcher

The dude in the fortress basement would be more accurate.

@SethAbramson Tweetstorm, sorry. [runs away]

(THREAD) Wondering what happens if Trump tries to fire Special Counsel Bob Mueller? BEDLAM. I break down the consequences in this thread. https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/874419175338512388/photo/1
(1) There isn’t any Special Counsel statute, as the last one was allowed to expire by Congress. So Mueller has a job under DOJ regulations.
(2) DOJ regulations give the top non-recused DOJ official the right to fire the Special Counsel ONLY for “good cause shown”—a high standard.
(3) Right now Rod Rosenstein is the top non-recused DOJ official, as Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from the Russia probe.
(4) In theory, this means that Rosenstein has the power to fire Mueller for good cause (which means some sort of professional misconduct).
(5) That said, AG Jeff Sessions’ recusal from the Russia probe is a “sham” recusal—he claims to be recused but appears to still be involved.
(6) The problem for Trump is not only does all D.C. (including GOP pols) respect Mueller, no one thinks there is “good cause” to fire him.
(7) If Trump attempts to fire Mueller directly without good cause, there’s a substantial chance that Mueller would “refuse” to stand down.
(8) Mueller could seek funding (or legislation) from Congress to continue to work, or wait for the White House to bring suit to remove him.
(9) However—if Trump tries to fire Mueller directly and Mueller refuses, Sessions might step in to fire Mueller for (he’d say) “good cause.”
(10) But Mueller could again refuse—even though the DOJ was now trying to fire him for “good cause”—on the grounds of Sessions’ recusal.
(11) As these actions could embarrass Trump and compromise Sessions, Trump would likely try first to order Rosenstein to fire Mueller.
(12) The problem at this point would be two-fold: ONE, I do believe Rosenstein would refuse that order as a violation of his Oath of Office.
(13) But TWO, Rosenstein could refuse on other grounds: namely, that Trump is a target of the investigation—on Obstruction allegations.
(14) Rosenstein could say the target of a criminal probe—even POTUS—cannot obstruct that probe. He could refuse to “conspire to obstruct.”
(15) At that point Rosenstein would either offer his resignation to Trump or wait for Trump to fire him. And Sessions would be in a bind.
(16) If Mueller is investigating Sessions for Perjury he’d not want to participate in a firing—as doing so opens him to Obstruction charges.
(17) So Sessions would cling to his previously dodgy recusal and force his boss—Trump—to fire Rosenstein. Or he’d urge Rosenstein to quit.
(18) But because urging Rosenstein to quit would violate his recusal and open him (again) to Obstruction charges, he’d likely just lay low.
(19) So—I told you this was confusing!—if Trump fires Rosenstein and Rosenstein agrees to leave his post and not go to court, what happens?
(20) As in Nixon’s “Saturday Night Massacre,” Trump would go down the DOJ chain of command until he found someone willing to fire Mueller.
(21) The problem is that as you go down the chain of command at DOJ, you quickly get to career prosecutors unlikely to play ball with POTUS.
(22) This seems to be a particular problem in many departments within the Trump administration, as they haven’t filled many appointments.
(23) None of this happens if (a) Mueller goes quietly, (b) a court quickly grants an injunction against Mueller, or (c) Sessions un-recuses.
(24) But wait! We haven’t even gotten to Congress yet. And Congress could move to pass legislation allowing Mueller to continue his work.
(25) Or Congress could use Mueller’s firing as an excuse to create a 9/11-like independent commission to investigate Trump-Russia collusion.
(26) Or Congress could—the right answer—decide that it’s done with this lawless president and begin impeachment proceedings against him.
(27) Upshot: this could happen. Trump wants to force the legislative branch to investigate him—not his own branch—as he thinks they won’t.
(28) He also thinks an independent commission—even if it happens—might investigate his associates but NOT look into Obstruction allegations.
(29) One reason he may be feuding with Sessions is because he wants an un-recused Sessions to do his dirty work if he seeks to fire Mueller.
(30) Trump also has a LIFELONG POLICY of acting unethically for as long as he can—UNTIL some final authority FORCES him to cease and desist.
(31) Trump is likely floating firing Mueller because he and his lawyer have determined there’s a REAL chance Mueller will recommend charges.