Trump/Russia 2016 election investigation (continued, now with Ukraine!)

I’m just happy the interpreter is still alive.

At least, I assume they’re still alive. I haven’t heard anything to the contrary.

The assassins responsible for assassinating the interpreter have also been assassinated.

And a moose has been stabbed with a sharpened toothbrush.

That interpreter is going to get a hell of a book deal soon.

Yes! Trump is the only GOP member NOT flipped by the Russians. Mocked and derided by the American public, he struggles in the shadows, behind closed doors, to end the Russian stranglehold on our country. No one will ever know.

My favorite:

Hey, when you’re an agent for a foreign government and you meet with your handler, you don’t want notes of the meeting!

Gah, I was reading that. This forum software is sometimes too gimmicky for its own good.

Sorry. I don’t fully know how it works in the world of interpreters, and was going off of potentially bad information I read. So was easier to zap than display ignorance everywhere.

I do hope the interpreter is under some form of protection though.

No big deal. I’m not upset you deleted a post, just how the page refreshes/updates are out of my control as an end user

ahem

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

Didn’t we already know about this though? I remember the 20min of outrage when it happened, then he was off to some new diversion and it was ignored. They “upgraded the HVAC” system of the White House to remove all the planted devices even. What makes the revelatory now?

We knew about specific times when Trump met with Russians/Putin without others present, and the one that caused the most howls was the White House meeting shortly after the firing of James Comey back in 2017. Another occasion that freaked people out was Trump’s closed-door meeting with Putin in Helsinki.

BUT…this story is significant because it details that these aren’t exceptions, but rather the rule when it comes to Trump and Russian officials. And it’s also very important because it suggests that Trump meeting with Russians with no one else present isn’t something the President is doing out of ignorance, or not knowing how protocols work. Rather, it shows that he’s very much aware of how those protocols work, and is deliberately taking steps (such as seizing the translator’s notes immediately after) to make sure the content of his meetings remains something that only he knows about. There’s a deliberate-ness and motive in what he’s doing, and that’s disturbing in what it suggests.

That makes sense, thanks. It is the overall pattern vs. individual incidents. The corruption level is so high with him, it is hard to remember why things matter anymore.

I also think (or at least it’s my impression, so realize it’s just filtered through my own view…) that even when Trump was meeting with Russians, there was some semi-official record of what went on that was at least know within his inner circle. Like, folks like Jared and maybe John Kelly or DJT Jr or Stephen Miller was aware or in the room or got summaries that would forever remain secret and locked away.

This story suggests that Trump kep the content of his meetings with Russians secret from even his own national security team. Which is bonkers.

I’m pretty sure one of the old stories was about Trump meeting with Putin with only Putin’s translator in the room.

That was the Helsinki meeting this summer, after which we got that bizarre press conference from Trump.