Trump/Russia 2016 election investigation (continued, now with Ukraine!)

Yeah, they’ve got some splainin to do.

FWIW, Wheeler thinks that the main point of dispute might be the whole SDNY vs SCO. Perhaps. But I’d withhold judgment on all of it for now.

Although:

And worth saying again that in the CNN interview this AM, Anthony Cormier all but discloses that his source isn’t within the SCO, so…yeah. There are likely other pieces of that report that are fundamentally incorrect.

BuzzFeed News’s first statement:

Sounds like a “Hugh Sloan Jr.” kinda mistake.

They will, eventually… and not because Buzzfeed News asked them to. I don’t think publishing a bunch of articles that contradict an ongoing investigation will compel the Special Counsel to clarify any damn thing at the behest of an internet news organization.

This is all eerily like the plot of the second season of Newsroom.

Context

That thought certainly occurred to me too. :)

Here’s Marcy’s thoughts

I am much more interested in the truth than bringing down Trump. The man has committed more than enough crimes while in office right in front of us to have him impeached, nobody needs to make shit up.

Yeah I’m sorry but I think Buzzfeed has been duped. Now Trump can call it all fake news and point to this incident to back it up.

It’s interesting. I almost get the feeling that the core of the issue is the way the Buzzfeed story used the word “pressure”. From Wheeler’s blogging, and the way the SCO statement last night was worded, that almost seems like the focal point, no? Like, Cohen wasn’t pressured into lying to congress, but rather intended to all along, but it’s possible and likely that there’s evidence the White House knew he would do that.

Almost no one in the legal community seems to think the SCO statement means that.

Heck of a twitter thread here by Will Bunch, regarding Buzzfeed and Mueller investigation…

I think the most important tweet in the bunch is this one.

It is really time for Mueller to offer a preliminary report.

Agree 100%

Somebody sounds terrified.

We’re all assuming Mueller is one of the shrinking number of Republicans that care about the country more than the party. There are lots of good reasons to believe that. But it’s hardly a certainty.

I think Mueller is focused on doing his job. Many members of the GOP could take a lesson on that from him.