Trump/Russia 2016 election investigation (continued, now with Ukraine!)

A blameless life? A handful of years instead of the nearly two decades he should have received? What is wrong with this judge?

The judge is a rich guy who feels empathy for other rich guys, on the basis of their being rich.

I honestly am not joking at all here.

I’m zero percent joking when I say that this is exactly the shit that undermines the very consent of the governed. We have to believe in the rule of law or the whole thing doesn’t work.

Mme G is at the very least starting to pick out her outfit for her big night. And that should terrify us all.

Based on the judge’s string of biased comments and actions before and during the trial, this is actually a harsher sentence than I expected. My only question, really, is what was the absolute minimum sentence Manafort could have legally recieved today, and how does this one compare?

I’m also disappointed that Manafort can only receive a maximum of 10 years during next week’s sentencing.

Quality lying right there, right?

Interviewer: “Trump tower 2016… You… an Israeli dude… a backchannel to the emirates and the saudis… Don Junior… Steven Miller”

Hahahahahaha. He used the word dude. Awesome.

I wish the US media was like this.

Can someone explain the “Israeli dude” comment with respect to Erik Prince?

https://spectator.us/mueller-barr-battle-indict-trump/

Several sources tell Cockburn that the Special Counsel has indeed completed his report. It is said to recommend indicting three of President Trump’s children – Don junior, Ivanka and Eric – as well as his son-in-law, Jared Kushner. The Attorney General, William Barr, is said to have ‘silently assented’ to this. It’s also claimed that Mueller wants President Trump himself to be indicted. Barr is said to oppose this. The two men met on Friday but apparently could not agree and this was the reason for the delay in any announcement from the DoJ. At least this is what the sources say.

I don’t know that source. How believable is it?

Looking at only those who are retweeting it…

…probably not very. At least take with giant grains of salt.

American side of a British webzine. I can’t vouch for this particular columnist, as all his columns are pretty gossipy, but I thought it was interesting. Grains of salt is fair.

Yeah, I think “Cockburn” is an amalgam of a different writers who use the same voice to contribute to their blog – which is kind of what “Cockburn” is.

They’ve had some hits and misses both, in proportions that suggest that they’re not just making stuff up and have sources…but that they also may take their sources too often at face value.

So…don’t dismiss it by any means, but…

If we go out on a limb and assume this is a true account, holy shit storm, batman. Can you imagine Trump’s reaction to three of his kids being indicted?

The Saturday Night Massacre will be just a tiny mention next to what I would expect Trump to do.

I believe it and don’t believe it. I certainly believe the family has committed crimes that warrant them being indicted. I also don’t believe the report will contain that because it’s 2019 and good things don’t happen anymore!

As much as I would like to believe that tweet, I have severe doubts about it, especially the first part.

First, Mueller has the power to indict if he finds evidence meeting the Justice Dept standard and his report is required by law to be about the decisions to indict or not to indict. In other words, the report itself is highly unlikely to contain any new indictments, but will be reporting on decisions to indict (or not).

The second part may be true in that if Mueller found enough evidence to indict Trump directly, under Justice Dept. rules he cannot unless the AG makes an exception to the Justice rules. So in theory that recommendation by Mueller and Barr’s decision to say NO, could be in there.

However, given the fact that I think the tweet is wrong in at least one major way, I’m not getting my hopes up.

I could see the Special Counsel being reluctant to indict a serving member of the POTUS staff, especially cabinet officers or trusted advisors. I don’t know where I would draw the line, personally… someone appointed personally by the POTUS? Someone in a senior position?

Regardless, that would not include Don Jr.