Trump Spells “Infidelity” with Two Ds

Everyone should believe women.

Nobody should believe Jacob Wohl.

Pretty valid assessment

Yup23

I’m surprised people were so quick to jump and say Avenetti was a spousal abuser. Not that there’s ever a “type”, but it would be the height of insanity for someone in his position to abuse any woman in any fashion as his future depends on it.

Not just TMZ, but major news networks reported it as spousal abuse, along with a quote from an LAPD source that Avenatti’s victim showed signs of having been hit.

Also, you say “Not that there’s a type” but then defend Avenatti because he’s not the type? I mean, it probably threatens the future of Harvey Weinstein’s position as a movie studio top guy to be brought up on charges as a sex abuser…but it didn’t stop him. As any history of sex abuse among high profile individuals should make pretty clear, not only isn’t there a type, having a position that ostensibly paints you as an ally doesn’t mean much either.

Because it is different and this was essentially (from the get-go) a politically motivated hit piece. Weinstein had a history of abuse and was called out, not by political factions, but by people wanting justice. I don’t know where the LAPD sits on the political spectrum, but most departments skew to the right (some far-right).

Indeed, Levin is a great friend of President Trump. Part of the reason the TMZ report on Avenatti seemed suspect, even to Avenatti’s many skeptics, is that Trump is known for enlisting his tabloid pals in nefarious schemes, and siccing them on his political and personal foes.

TMZ jumped on this because they wanted to hurt someone that was a thorn in the side of their ally. TMZ has had lackeys in the LAPD since the very beginning of whatever you call a TMZ.

What I’d like to know, if this is Wohl again. Why isn’t he in jail or under indictment? Fabricating claims at this level is a felony.

NBC, ABC, CBS, and CNN all reported and stand by their reporting. TMZ broke the story, but they broke it because the LAPD had taken Michael Avenatti into custody, booked and charged him with domestic assault/abuse. Charges that remain standing at the time of this typing.

This was not a TMZ “hit piece”. This is something that actually happened.

I’m not sure you’re grasping that.

Yes good point.

The LA County DA has quickly dropped any felony charges against Avenatti today, after the LAPD presented the case just this morning.

The LADA has referred the case to the LA City attorney for consideration for misdemeanor charges.

And now this is looking more like a setup, and in every way.

If Jacob Wohl had anything to do with this, he had better be pissing his pants right now.

When I read the storylines, it sounds like he’s accused of shoving her out of his apartment. It also mentions that he had been “emotionally and financially abusive” in the past.

This sounds like he’s a jerk, which was already my opinion. But none of that sounds anything like domestic assault to me (and I am familiar with the technical definitions of assault and battery, and have the law degree to prove it). This whole thing sounds like bullshit.

I still don’t want this guy anywhere near Democratic politics, though. Unqualified, angry narcissism is the GOP’s brand, not ours.

Weird. I was assured that Avenatti was a scumbag.

I mean this is not dispositive of that outcome.

Just that the charges he was brought up on are not verified.

It is entirely possible that Avenatti is a scumbag but innocent of these charges that are possibly falsely filed against a political opponent.

Nothing about him not being charged as a felon in this case refutes that.

What does financially abusive mean?

Maybe he cut off her allowance? Made her take stuff back. There is some story (I don’t know how accurate it is) that he has not paid his office rent for some time.

I’m still not sure he’s old enough to have outgrown that phase in the first place.

One thing about exes, they typically don’t vouch for their ex if that person was abusive in any way toward them or their children. That his ex-wife stepped up right away and said he’s a stand up guy and great with their children, IMO, says a lot more about his character than any of the charges I’ve seen.

Could he be different behind closed doors today? Sure, but the kids usually know, which means the ex finds out, and then isn’t afraid to say what they think.

I’m definitely in the ‘Avenatti is a scumbag’ camp, but not because of this charge. On the other hand, if because of this charge you were crowing about how this charge proves he’s a scumbag, it seems to me that the evaporation of this charge ought to produce something more than ‘well that doesn’t mean he isn’t a scumbag’.

I don’t think very much of Avenatti, but the immediate willingness of people to jump on the sketchiest of charges as proof of wifebeating scumbaggery is a little mystifying. The guy is a lightning rod for attracting controversy. No doubt he would be a valuable scalp for right-wing “provocateurs” like the Wohls and that other dude. Why not let it play out before crucifying the guy?