Trumps Food stamp proposal

Spam is awesome. We’ve had this discussion before.

Having an Aldi saved me so much money, and since I could go multiple times a week, I could wait for them to discount their special buys.

I was super cheap back then. I still do most of my shopping at Aldi, but I indulge myself more often.

+1 for Aldi, fucking love that place

Am I the only one that thinks every time I drive past that place, “Buy Hmart, buy H-mart”?

@Scuzz don’t knock it til you’ve fried it

Surprise, surprise. It’s all about trolling libs…otherwise known as “the GOP’s only consistent policy goal.”

In reality, administration officials on Tuesday admitted that the food-box plan — which the president’s budget director Mick Mulvaney compared to the Blue Apron grocery delivery service — had virtually no chance of being implemented anytime soon.

Instead, the idea, according to two administration officials who worked on the proposal, was a political gambit by fiscal hawks in the administration aimed at outraging liberals and stirring up members of the president’s own party working on the latest version of the farm bill. The move, they said, was intended to lay down a marker that the administration is serious about pressing for about $85 billion in other cuts to food assistance programs that will be achieved, in part, by imposing strict new work requirements on recipients.

“I don’t think there’s really any support for their box plan. And, I worry that it’s a distraction from the budget’s proposal to cut SNAP by some 30 percent. That’s the real battle,” said Stacy Dean, vice president for food assistance policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a progressive Washington think tank. “The dangers are these other proposals to cut benefits. But all anyone is talking about today are the boxes.”

Senator Debbie Stabenow, the ranking Democrat on the agriculture committee, doubted the motives behind the plan.

“This isn’t a serious proposal and is clearly meant to be a distraction,” Ms. Stabenow said.

Aldi had also upped their game with fresh produce. For years I avoided getting any here. And, while still more limited and often not as good as what the local Berkots or Ultra carries, they’re reliably decent for things like oranges, bananas, and broccoli. Also carrots, good grief do I use a lot of carrots.

Mom has this awful habit of going grocery shopping at Aldi about 4 days ahead of my trip home when I’ve got a bunch of stuff planned for cooking (I usually come home for big cooking holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving).

This has the result of me opening up bag after bag of rotted produce by the time it’s actually time to start cooking.

Aldi’s good for a lot of things. Produce that you intend to use a week later is not one of them.

• 1.5lbs pork
  • 1 bag of mung bean sprouts
  • 2 onions
  • 2 green peppers
  • 1 daikon radish
  • 1 bundle of yu choi
  • mushrooms

I make a sauce out of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. With that and rice you have enough to feed a family 3-4 times.

Goddamn that sounds good, @Miguk.

Can I propose you create Trump Apron meals for America?

Thanks. That means a lot coming from you.

Why does sending food in boxes mean the recipient has no choice in what food comes in the box?

Because he wants to save money. I can’t imagine how a choose your own food box of shelf-stable foods and get them delivered to your home is going to be cost effective. We don’t even have the same brands and/or labels between the east coast and the west coast, so they’re probably talking about a single source.

I suppose it’s worth stating, for the record, that if we had a functional, humane government that was willing to invest dozens of billions of dollars shipping farm-fresh, healthy, completely personalizable meals to every person facing hunger in America, along with quality cooking gear to those who need it and offer instructive workshops on how to use it all in-person free-of-cost nationwide routinely and pair it with sizable, concrete income supplements for those who can’t or don’t want to use the shipping program with no questions asked, I’d be kinda onboard with that and onboard with paying through the nose for it.

That’s just not remotely what’s being talked about in this exact scenario, so there’s no real point fantasizing about it like I just did.

Yup.

Again, look no further than Puerto Rico to see how this will actually play out if this administration has anything to do with it.

Why should anyone be free, if all the most moral, most competent, and overall best people are in charge of determining who gets to be free?

An Aldi’s just opened here in Orange County. We were shocked to see one this far west. Very cool to have nearby.

What is nice is Lidl is coming to the US, the biggest competitor of Aldi, so we might see some even bigger bargains on the way.