Trumps Food stamp proposal

I think even if the Dems came up with a “we will deliver them meals” program you would have to seriously look at how crazy the mechanics of actually doing it would be. There is no way it could be as cheap, and no way it could provide as fresh or as edible food. Do families check boxes each week as what they like, what food allergies they may have etc. ?

It’s just not a very practical idea no matter who thought of it.

I would generally agree with you except SadleyBradley brought up one compelling argument that’s hard to ignore. Logistics! "It’s got to be a hundred times cheaper to send electronic money to people and let them buy what they want than it is to contract someone to coordinate the shipping of millions of pounds of food around the country. ".

I don’t know the detail of the plan, but this is SO obviously a relevant challenge as to make most of the other points minor IMO.

I’m not against the plan because its a GOP proposal. I’m against it because this is a bullshit move to crap on the poor and make Republican voters feel like they’re sticking it to “welfare queens” and lazy brown folk.

Instead of receiving all their food stamp funds, households would get a box of food that the government describes as nutritious and 100% grown and produced in the U.S. The so-called USDA America’s Harvest Box would contain items such as shelf-stable milk, juice, grains, cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans, canned meat, poultry or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables. The box would be valued at about half of the SNAP recipient’s monthly benefit. The remainder of their benefits would be given to them on electronic benefit cards, as before.

The administration didn’t detail exactly how families would receive the food boxes, saying states could distribute them through existing infrastructure, partnerships or directly to residences through delivery services.

The proposal would save nearly $130 billion over 10 years, as well as improve the nutritional value of the program and reduce the potential for fraud, according to the administration.

I guarantee that if a Democrat proposed this same plan, I’d be against it.

Yeah, like I said, poo poo it for cost, but having food assistance be actual food? I have no problem with that idea. Government cheese, etc.

One you have an odd amount of faith for them to execute this well, considering…

https://twitter.com/sujeilugo/status/929115537497640961/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23929115537497640961

Also, see my comment about chocolate rations, and if you don’t get it google it.

May I ask why? Is it a cost issue or something else?

The current program is considered an IMPROVEMENT on the “government cheese” approach that was used before. SNAP money can, indeed, only be spent on food so the notion that getting actual food with it is some novel idea isn’t exactly accurate.

The issues are numerous, however. Off the top of my head;

1. the government still has to buy the food from the producers
  2. the government still has to pay for the infrastructure to deliver it
  3. the food is one-size-fits-all when that doesn’t apply to how biology works
  4. it’s delivered regardless of actual consumption rate, leading to waste

In short, the imagined savings would evaporate from what I can tell. Sure, stores mark stuff up, but their margins aren’t actually significant (about 1%).

As a democrat and more so a human being with empathy, I believe in empowering people to make good choices for themselves and above all, freedom. Sending people government cheese because you don’t trust them is a shitty thing to do to people who are already dealing with a shitty lot in life.

Secondly, eating healthy food is important for all people, and the list of shit in these boxes disgusts me (not all of it, but most of it). If it doesn’t include fresh meats and veggies and fruits, it’s going to make some people on welfare less healthy, specifically those who are currently making really good choices.

Lastly, all that stuff about the government not being as efficient as a nationwide network of grocery stores and wasting a ton of money. Plus Trump will just pick a buddy’s business or make a Trump brand business to distribute this stuff and put a ton of money in his own pocket.

Look, the only people that should be able to game the system and get free stuff are the wealthy. The poor just need to accept their lot in life, eat their Baby Ruth bars and Airheads, shut up and be happy they’re allowed to exist at all (for now).

If I ever sadly find myself on the government dole I can’t imagine being so entitled that I complain about box of food from the government. It seems like the peak of hubris and entitlement to me. It’s either accept the help or starve, yes? How can you straight faced say that people need the freedom of choice in their life when the alternative is starvation? I can’t see anyone actually making that argument.

I can’t see any recipients actually being against a program like this. To me this is manufactured entitlement from someone who has never been poor.

Seems vaguely relevant:

Then you’re either acting like a fool or you’re being intellectually dishonest. Heck, maybe both. Take your pick, I don’t care.

I don’t understand this sentiment. Do you know people on SNAP or other government welfare programs that would refuse a free food box? Really? This doesn’t make sense at all. Do you have any sources to back up this claim?

I think people on these program are not the entitled people you think they are. I think you are projecting your worldview on them.

Guap - the choice isn’t “get free food or not.” Rather, it’s to reduce and/or eliminate the current program in place of that.

edit - and yes, ME. My family was on such a program, back in the day. We got government cheese.

Speaking as someone that grew up eating a fair helping of government cheese because my father was an enlisted man in the US Army, fuck all that entitlement and hubris crap. Yeah, we were damn glad to get assistance, but every bite of that cheese tasted like broken pride and waxy shit. People should be allowed to choose their own food. It’s a small luxury to buy something normal people eat, balanced against a feel-good helping of righteous morality from people that think everyone on assistance is a grifter scumbag.

It’s pretty clear you don’t care about these people. While the rest of the country is trying to push fresh and natural food you’re like fuck it, fill with canned corn and and peanut butter that might kill them, they should be glad to even get my crumbs.

edit: misquote

nevermind - misquotes

If you think canned corn and peanut butter kills people, we need to take a step back and reframe the argument, because that is is terrible, inaccurate position.

Sorry, that was a hasty quote.

Same. I was on the dole for several years and I was raised in government housing. It gives one a different perspective on such things that sort of sticks with you.