Truthers Vindicated

Not quite mapped to truthers, more along the lines of why the intelligence warning of 9/11 was ignored. Of course, given the treatment that anything tainted with the stench of Democrat received on the entry of the Bush Administration into the White House, it’s very hard to argue that it was not simply ignored for petty partisan reasons, rather than any grand malicious scheme.

The really awesome thing about this is that if the sprinklers had been working perfectly, those buildings might have taken a JET PLANE and not collapsed.

I’m waiting for Glenn Beck to catch on to this and demand a preemptive invasion of Denmark, the capitol of IKEA.

Shit, what if this means that IKEA brought down WTC1 and 2 as well? The planes were simply a catalyst allowing the infernal Scandinavian furniture clustered in the top-floor executive suites to work their white heat magic on the supporting structures.

The not-a-truther-anymore responds

A top environmental official of the Obama administration issued a statement Thursday apologizing for past incendiary statement and denying that he ever agreed with a 2004 petition on which his name appears, a petition calling for congressional hearings and an investigation by the New York Attorney General into “evidence that suggests high-level government officials may have deliberately allowed the September 11th attacks to occur.”
Van Jones, the Special Advisor for Green Jobs at the White House Council on Environmental Quality, is Number 46 of the petitioners from the so-called “Truther” movement which suggests that people in the administration of President George W. Bush “may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war.”
In a statement issued Thursday evening Jones said of “the petition that was circulated today, I do not agree with this statement and it certainly does not reflect my views now or ever.”
He did not explain how his name came to be on the petition.

“My work at the Council on Environmental Quality is entirely focused on one goal: building clean energy incentives which create 21st century jobs that improve energy efficiency and use renewable resources,” Jones said in his statement tonight.
Jones also said in his statement that “In recent days some in the news media have reported on past statements I made before I joined the administration – some of which were made years ago.  If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize.”

I think Jones is toast. His new line of defense is that he didn’t read the document carefully before he signed it. I didn’t realize just how nuanced the truther document was before he signed it.

Dude. The pentition was FROM the “9/11 Truth Movement”.

75/25 Jones resigns this afternoon so this gets buried in the long-holiday news black hole. He’s not getting a vote of confidence from the White House.

From Jake Tapper:
Asked if controversial White House official Van Jones continues to enjoy the confidence of President Obama given recent revelations about his involvement with those who suggest the Bush administration knew about the 9/11 attacks and allowed them to happen in order to justify a war for oil, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs Friday morning would only say “he continues to work in this administration.”

Well, that’ll teach him to sign stuff without looking into the details.

That’s one lesson. The other is:

If you want to ever hold a politically sensitive job, don’t be an organizer of a rally asking why the CIA was making money selling United/American shorts on 9/11 or similar questions that makes you look like a frigging nutjob.

Coincidentally (or is it?!) I caught 9-11: In Plane Site on Netflix last night, which made for decent trash TV background noise. I was interested in the part where they talk about something being attached to the undersides of the planes that hit the WTC, primarily because no matter how many times they showed the close-ups of the plane footage, I could never see what the hell they were talking about.

I can see it clearly, although I’m not going to attest it isn’t a shadow. The WTC stuff isn’t very good, the flash is interesting on the second tower, but it could be the nose of the plane making contact and raising a puff of dust that is hit by the sun. When they try to find a flash on the first tower, it’s pretty desperate, because the nose shadow is there by the time of the flash, while they try to point out the bigger shadow of the wings not being there as proof the plane hadn’t made contact.

But, and I know I’ll get mauled for this, I found the pentagon section compelling. I’ve never really been impressed with the official report on that one. All the information seems like it could support a small plane packed with explosives. I’m not buying the bunker-buster theory at all.

H.

edit: And of course I’m now looking up rebuttals, so go easy on me.

Man, it’s hard to google anything beyond the conspiracy sites, but Wikipedia seems to have a pretty solid take on it. Quite a bit of debris WAS found in the site, which none of the conspiracy sites mention, and apparently they found both black boxes.

H.

To paraphrase my father on the whole truther issue, “Look at how the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars were run. Do you really think the Bush administration was competent enough to pull off a conspiracy like this?”

Clearly it wasn’t the Bush administration. It was FEMA, the Secret Government!

So Van Jones has resigned over an issue that has nothing to do with his job; an extraordinary and capable man has lost his chance to make perhaps his meaningful contribution to this country due to fucking red herring thrown out by self-hating Americans.

I think that we’ve gotten ourselves into a bit of a logjam of accusation and blame on all sides of American politics and that it’s time for some of us to give up the addiction to being righteous, being victims, and having the right to be mad at somebody.

It’s not that we are wrong when we point out the exploitation, the oppression, the bigotry, the incredible levels of discrimination that so many people experience. I just don’t think that litany and that dirge is something that has worked out well in terms of getting us the power we need in order to fix it.

I think the power we need to fix it comes from saying that all of that is true, and there is another truth. The other truth is that, despite all of that, there’s still more good in each and every person than there is bad—that there is still more reason for us to work together than for us to fight.

If I have to fight you, I’ll fight you, but I would rather work with you to get a better outcome for my children and for your children.

To be clear, I’ve never entertained the idea that Bush was behind the whole thing. But I’m willing to consider the gov’t covering up an effective low-tech attack on the Pentagon to save face. I.E. a truck bomb drove up to the wall and detonated, and they changed it to another plane. The conspiracy folks want it to be a bunker-buster because that implies our own involvement, but I see a small plane + explosives or something else “embarassing” way before any silliness like that.

H.

The conspiracy folks are completely fucking insane when it comes to the Pentagon. It was the plane we all know it was as hundreds of people SAW THE DAMN THING FLY IN. I mean, WTF do the truthers think those people saw? Hundreds of people can’t tell the difference between a Boeing and a missile??

Oh please, the guy believes a completely nutball conspiracy and knowingly destroys his career forever in the science community by signing their goofy petition. Does that mean anything to you? You’re not asking yourself why Obama’s team doesn’t bother to vet anyone? Jeez, how hard would it have been to google his name?

Oh no, the administration shed a batshit insane racist.

Even if you agree with him that jews and americans are pretty damn bad folk, and that 9/11 was an inside job by the military-industrial complex jews, you’d think you might recognize that despite those traits having “nothing to do with his job”, they’d introduce another absurd distraction for this administration, let alone propel yet another bozo of - at best - questionable judgment, into a position of authority.