TSA gently touched my laptop.

You can put laptops and other items in checked bags. You can’t do that with extra batteries.

This SAFO only addresses lithium batteries not contained in or packed with equipment when offered for cargo and is not intended to cover the provisions concerning passengers and crew

I wouldn’t check a laptop, personally (because my electronic devices are too important to me to put in checked baggage), but it’s not prohibited.

Ah, I was wrong about the battery situation. (Are you allowed to admit that in a discussion forum?) Prohibition is spare batteries, chargers, and ecigs/vaping devices.

Still, given the video above and potential for a horrible death if a battery does get damaged, seems smarter to keep them out completely, even if it’s not the rule.

But sorry, @roguefrog, I was wrong to accuse you of rulebreaking. But still, I’d just as soon we all carry our LI battery devices in the cabin where there are manual fire extinguishers and the ability to move them away from other flammable objects in real time. :)

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/baggage-with-lithium-batteries

They do require laptops to be completely shut down, which might be why the TSA messed with it.

Circa post number 4 of this very thread I made. I’m well aware. Never again, etc.

I suppose I’d rather have my laptop still wrecked but without the added unknown variable of TSA messing with it.

I have seen cargo handlers and I’d hazard it’s a toss-up between the TSA and your average “let’s hurl this bag as hard as I can” Joe.

yeah, if you’re checking something, you need to assume that it’s going to get hit by a truck.

Lost Luggage GIFs | Tenor

I still wouldn’t put a laptop in checked luggage because five-finger discount with security screeners is real.

I opened the laptop up and access to the fans was easy enough. Just a lot of screws and using a thin chuck of hard plastic to pry it open. Cleared out all the dust build-up and ordered a new fan off Aliexpress. Here’s hoping it solves the issue.

Update

Fixed my laptop.

Confirmed it was a CPU fan making all the fuss. Ripped it out of there and put in a new one. Quiet times again. The performance issues also went away too.

Excellent. @roguefrog 1, TSA 0!

In OT, but still!

Some laptop exec is yelling at a lackey right now.

“What do you mean he fixed it himself? They’re not supposed to be able to do that!”

The fun part was turning the laptop on with the motherboard exposed in front of my wife. She got scared, but at least the noise from the fan was easily identified even by her.

PHRl2pI

My partner is about to check a guitar on a flight tomorrow and loved/hated this GIF! :LaughCryEmoji:

“It’s funny, but it’s awful!”

Because United breaks guitars

That’s hilarious. I would say it’s a pretty good jab at United, too, except airlines are teh debbil and don’t care what people think.