Tunic - a small fox on a big adventure!

Explore a land filled with lost legends, ancient powers, and ferocious monsters in TUNIC, an isometric action game about a small fox on a big adventure.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/tunic

Lots of positive reviews for this game.

Also included with GamePass!

I’ve already played this game.

It looks great and it’s been on my wishlist for ages but I’m flooded with great games at the moment. I wonder if a Switch version is coming?

@TimJames did you get a review copy? What did you think?

No I mean I just played Death’s Door. Indie developers can’t just keep changing the species of adorable animal I play in the same game and expect to get away with it!

Ah, I see.

I kind of bounced off the demo and listening to the Fire Escape crew talk about it I am 100% sure I would hate the full game.

I started this last night, and it’s charming and well-made. It’s not purely just a Zelda-like–or maybe it’s more accurate to say that it is trying to capture more of the Zelda experience than most Zelda clones. You get UI messages in a coded language and you collect pages of an instruction manual for the game itself (also partially in English, partially in this other language). I don’t know the significance of any of that, or whether this language is (as with another game this reminds me of, Fez) something I should be trying to translate. As I’m waiting to see what the game will reveal to me, I think it does evoke some of that feeling of flipping through the little booklet in an NES game looking for useful knowledge that may or may not have gotten lost in translation…

I’ve completed the game’s first task, which is getting the sword in the eastern part of the map, but now I’m feeling a little lost. Chances are I’m just not moving fast enough to the west, but I keep getting instructions for using the shield and it makes me wonder… should I have a shield now? Did I miss something?

Anyway, I’ll keep at it for a bit longer. Combat is decent, if a little unresponsive. It has the Dark Souls “go collect your lost coins where you died” thing which I don’t think it needs (I don’t care that much about my coins because I’ve only found one place to spend them so far). But there’s enough thought put into it that I can see it really paying off.

This looks (and sounds – love the trailer music) very charming, but I suspect it is too demanding for me. If anyone runs across a good Let’s Play in the next few days, definitely drop it here; I’d love to have that idling in the background.

Aw crap, it’s a Souls-type kind of game? Well, enjoy your cartoony death-fest then I guess. I’ll pass.

I don’t think so. I posted this video in the Game Pass thread, but the Eurogamer video editor goes through the beginning of the game and tries to describe the appeal without any spoilers, and he says it has a bit of Souls-flavored combat but it’s even easier than Death’s Door, which was itself pretty easy overall.

Yeah, it doesn’t feel like a Souls-y game to me, despite having some features we might associate with Dark Souls like a dodge and “corpse” recovery.

Yeah, this RPS review was helpful in figuring out exactly what’s going on. Sounds like it leans way more towards old school Zelda than any Souls games, which is way more my jam.

Playing this side-by-side with Elden Ring has only strengthened an observation already made by many others, that Soulsbornes are simply Zelda for people who like to bleed.

I mean that still image of the fox in tunic holding a sword and shield that is straight up from Link to the Past just with all the serial numbers filed off?

Kinda gives that away to me

I’m a bit more concerned with how it plays than how it looks, but yes, it looks quite a bit like Zelda.

I’m in for the long haul. I already installed it through Game Pass on my PC. I have to think long and hard about what I want on there because it’s there permanently. Uninstalling games doesn’t remove them from the list. So based on reviews, I’ve deemed this game list-worthy. :-P

Very early impressions, like, 30 minutes. It’s beautiful, but I don’t quite grok the dodge mechanic. Right now it seems much more punishing than Death’s Door. It seems like the attack animations leave you vulnerable for a very long time. You can’t attack and dodge away quickly the way I expected to, or else I’m just doing it wrong.

Also, this looks like a glitch, but right after getting the sword I think I’ve gotten myself caught in the geometry nearby, and I don’t know how to resolve this. I guess I’m force-quitting?

edit: Quit to Title from the pause menu got me reset without losing my progress (of getting the sword). And this particular spot to get stuck is repeatable.

This was at PAX East right before the world fell apart and the rep there was pretty explicit that Link to the Past was the biggest influence / conceptual starting point.

I will be watching the thread for more impressions as well; super time crunched right now but I am very interested in getting to this eventually.

Also don’t know why my Xbox isn’t capturing sound with clips.

I don’t think so. Anyway, I did the main task on the east side of the map, don’t have the shield and have unlocked the way back to the west side of the map.

There is an area on the east that I don’t seem anywhere near strong enough to get through, so it’s possible the shield is down there, but it seems more like something that is very hard to tackle without a shield. There’s an area where 4+ spiders gang up on me and I get my ass kicked. So I’m guessing I’m supposed to head west first now that I’ve carried out the main tasks (from the “instruction book”) and can head west again.

Does anyone know if expendables are recharged after death? For example, if I throw out a bunch of dynamite sticks at a boss and die in the attempt, do I get them back, or are they gone forever?