Turin Turambar's Top 75 Recommended Anime Series

Why’d you need to come into the thread and shit it up like that?

Thanks for the detailed recommendations @TurinTur, and for starting a new thread for them so that they’re easy to find.

I’m still on my excitement high from finishing Season 2 of Attack on Titan yesterday. I’m trying to decide if I should

a. take a break from anime for a while, go watch Handmaiden’s Tale instead or
b. look for another series like Attack on Titan
c. change things up and look for a series with something different.

I’m with you on this.

A lot of the anime I pick up that’s been around for a while comes with dual audio tracks, so you can pick which one you want. Sometimes I’ll be doing something (laundry, dishes, etc) where it’s a little harder to read the screen constantly in order to watch the anime so I’ll switch on the English audio. The voices, they are terrible. But the real problem is the voice translations are totally shit compared to the text. The subtitles pick up on all this nuance and do a great deal towards helping you understand the formality of Japanese, and when you switch it over to the dub it’s like “Mongo smash that thing!” “What thing, that thing!?” “Yes, Mr. Mongo smash that thing in particular!”

There are a few great dubs out there. I watch mostly with subtitles these days, but I almost can’t imagine watching Cowboy Bebop or FMA in Japanese.

Mostly if you want to multi-task. Like if you want to watch while eating, or watch while playing with a baby. If you’re watching a subtitled show, you’re forced to watch every scene so you don’t miss any of the dialogue. If you watch a dubbed title, you can look away a few seconds at a time, and still stay caught up with what’s going on.

School live started too slow for me.

Missing

Now and Then Here and There

Gundam 8th MS team

And one of my absolute all time faves,

Azumanga Daioh

Good list overall though.

Also this.

I think My Hero Academia is worth watching too.

Wow, I couldn’t agree more with these!!! Azumanga Daioh is my favorite anime. I even once gave my wife some original pencil frame drawings (the ones you scan to color on the computer and then make the final scene) as a birthday present (one of them is from an Osaka+Chie running scene!!!).

She also has a little Osaka figurine and we have a Chie’s dad plushie!

Yeah, I didn’t think I would like an Anime about High School girls that much, but it is extremely funny, and very touching at times.

Anime made me do it, man.

I think you have enough respect for the lot of us not to run in here and use the first comment to link all of us to Gamergate. I mean, at least I hope you do.

For better or worse, there’s a strong association between anime avatars and trolls online.

Amen, brother. This and Lucky Star are my favorite slice-of-life series.

Maybe pick a better place to discuss that? I mean you’re basically coming in here to say “Nice entertainment you guys have there, too bad neo nazis wear that stuff as arm bands.”

I actually have never heard of this, and now I have to watch all of it.

Japan has some serious systemic cultural problems with women, so any source of media from that country is going to inherit those problems.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/10/28/japan-ranks-101st-globally-for-gender-equality-but-web-users-shrug/

Japan is extremely unusual in that it is highly educated and wealthy but still has some of the worst systemic gender inequality in the world; it has a European-style economy but South Asian social family mores

If the truth hurts… that’s because it’s the truth.

Jesus. I’m not arguing your points, I’m saying go talk about them somewhere else.

Edit: I should have just ignored your post like everyone else.

I recommend New Game! too, it’s in the same vein.

Probably true. It is good for people to understand the cultural reasons why Anime has the reputation it has, and why it is frequently chosen as an avatar badge for hateful people.

I know that someone who has created as many famous websites such as yourself is an expert on the use of anime avatars in social media.

Your input is important to me.