Turkey's descent into authoritarianism

Now that’s much more lucid. Thants.

That would be hilarious.

What’s that mean?

Value of the Turkish lira is falling. That looks like a graph of the exchange rate for lira to dollars. So it was around 8.55 lira to the dollar, and is now 9.19 lira to the dollar.

And a classic demonstration of presenting a less than 10% change in value as some kind of catastrophic event by fiddling with the y-axis.

Also no indication of the timeframe of the X axis. Not impressed with the chart, so the author is gonna have to give some context as to why we should care.

We’re talking money so 10% loss is pretty big. But it’s also part of a pattern of non-stop loss.

The timeframe is on the top. It was four weeks.

Sure, I agree (though I hadn’t bothered to look up the long term trend). But I wasn’t questioning the facts, just the dishonest presentation.

It’s an exchange as near as I can tell. They’re not going to show deviations from zero or something, because that’s irrelevant information. You don’t expect a graph of, say, Amazon stocks to start at one and go to whatever so that any changes can’t be seen, for example.

I wouldn’t call this graph “dishonest” because it’s super relevant to the people that care about it, even if the change is less than 1%.

3.5 years later

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1462819654859116545

and today’s action

Intl day against violence towards women sparks protesting re: withdrawal from the Istanbul Convention. The govt is losing patience.

Erdogan gonna destroy their economy cause he refuses to live in reality.

Rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

They’re just loafing around, I bet. A less crusty bunch could make more dough if they really kneaded it.

You were on a roll - at yeast I thought so - why’d you stop? Too much of a pita to keep up the rye humour?