Turkey's descent into authoritarianism

Early returns seem to be close.

There are multiple reports of shenanigans, but of course the Internet is the Internet, so take that with a grain of salt. Meanwhile, Anka News Agency seems to be having “issues” with their website.

There will be shenanigans and also chicanery.

Even with shenanigans he is doing well. God I hope he somehow manages to knock Erdogan off his perch.

Of course then the question will be does Erdogan just ignore it, and continue on.

Example shenanigans in operation:

In districts where Kilicdaroglu was expected to be strong, there were pre-submitted petitions appealing the vote results, so many of those results are not being included in early released counts.

About 61% of “results” in

While I’m very cautious generally and my area is heavy opposition always, I was quite optimistic after seeing the crowds - seemed to be more people voting than usual which generally favours the opposition.

But so far it seems to be another election, another disappointment. CHP should have gone with one of the mayors that won the last one in a big upset, preferably the Ankara one cause he has nationalist roots. Meanwhile RTE lackey nationalist party somehow got 11%.

I’m especially crushed by how the earthquake area voted.

In other news, some boxes are reported to have been counted multiple times due to the previously mentioned petitions. I’ve seen reports of up to 20 times in places.

sorry for post spamming

Can you help with some English summaries of the posts?

I can do some, but I am likely to get confused about the election details because their counting/reporting systems are so different. Initial counts are done in the precincts by reps of the parties involved, who count and publicly announce their own candidates’ votes. Then the sacks of ballots are centralized to the district offices where the govt official counts are done. So it’s likely I will get wrong who’s counts are being claimed, and which ones are still pending. My Turkish is quite poor :)

That’s why tactics like forcing precinct recounts to delay official counts are making it hard to track where the process is.

I’m glad you’re posting these, but I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I could use a little help with the ones that are only in Turkish! Otherwise, I’m not sure how dismayed I should be.

I would guess we won’t know for another day or two, when either obstruction tactics will run out and official counts will be published, or there will be some court intervention in some way.

If neither main candidate exceeds 50% this time there will be a runoff May 28.

I’m not optimistic about the likely runoff. Erdoğan controls the parliament now with the various wrong strategic plays of the opposition alliance and the unexpectedly high vote the pro-Erdoğan nationalist party got - and my impression is the opposition voters are deeply disappointed and demoralized and may not vote a second time. Undecided people may also swing back to Erdoğan to avoid a somewhat of a lame duck situation due to the parliament being AKP controlled.

Yeah, some results showing (Halk and others) that RTE has over 49% with only a few percent left to count. That seems like a surprise, I would have expected him to be a few percent down even if no majority was reached on the first round.

I know I’m reiterating it but I’m most surprised by the earthquake struck region voting heavily in favour of Erdoğan, especially after the terrible handling of the crisis. Everyone thought Turkish Red Crescent being caught red-handed selling tents, no help getting to the region in three days, etc. would have more impact.

Knowing nothing about regional political breakdown, what is that regions normal political bent? Is this outcome better or worse for Erdogan than normal elections?

Because in America there are a number of states that can, and have, suffered huge disasters, suffered from poor federal response, and voted for the GOP anyway. Louisiana and Katrina come to mind, as does Houston and their recent hurricane.